Monday 13 March 2023

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.


 



This darned time change in the spring always throws me for a loop. Much more so than the one in the autumn. I seem to spend days trying to catch up with it. The only way of feeling like you have jet lag without actually going on a trip I guess!  But thankfully I don't have to go out to work or anything. My days are my own. If I want to go back to bed, or go to bed early, or whatever, I can.  Just one of the blessings of being able to work for yourself!



 

Despite there being snow on the ground we are having some really lovely days. It is -7 this morning, so cold, but the sun is shining and things feel very spring-like.  It promises to be a dry day today, but will be wet and a mixed bag for the rest of the week, well, at least according to the weather thingie on my phone.

March is always very much a month of transition.




Chippy is back for another Spring and was basking on my front railing at the weekend.  The cats were going nuts watching her groom herself.  I did put some peanuts out, but she wasn't very interested in eating them. I think the Blue Jays got them, which is ok. At least somebody did!



 


Having Sunday Dinner at Cindy's.  Its always nice to be included. I was so groggy yesterday morning, I ended up going back to bed and missed church.  I felt out of sorts all day.  Being able to go to Cindy and Dan's made up for it. Its always nice to chat with Dan and to spend time together around the supper table with everyone. 

I could see small buds on their lilac bushes.  The promise of the leaf to come.

Speaking of going out for a meal, today I have been invited to go out to lunch with some friends that I haven't seen since before Christmas.  People I have loved for a very long time. It will be nice. We only get to see each other very occasionally, but when we do I always enjoy it. Lunch out with friends, one of life's sweet blessings.



 

It didn't get dark until after 7 last evening. This felt a bit wierd, but it will get later and later with each day that passes until we are finally going to bed in the light come the summer months.  Getting up in the light also.

I can remember as a child being in the house in my pajamas in bed and still being able to hear children playing outside and thinking it was so unfair.  Why couldn't I be outside playing also. My mother had very specific bedtimes for us. She liked her alone time in the evening and to be fair, she worked so hard during the day, she really deserved it!



 

This is not small, nor is it wonderful.  I only mention it because I am asking for prayers for my brother, and prayer is a pretty wonderful thing.  After being so ultra careful for three years this past week he finally relaxed somewhat and stopped masking.  He messaged  me Saturday night telling me he had a man-cold and then yesterday to tell me he has tested positive for Covid.  God willing it will not be too severe, but he was ill with Lyme's disease last summer and I don't think his immune system is the greatest.  I am asking for prayers that he will recover safely and that his wife and daughter's don't also get it (They have their exams this week) and also that his very elderly father in law that my sister in law cares for doesn't get it.  Thank you so much!

It figures.  You stay so careful for so long and let down your guard for a moment and WHAM!
Is that what they call the luck of the Irish?


 



I have much to be grateful in my life. Last night after I turned out the lights, I just sat on the sofa in the living room for a minute. I could see the light from my bedroom from where I had lit it earlier casting a glow across that side of the room.  Nutmeg was laying next to me, Cinnamon was under the coffee table waiting for me to stand up. I thought to myself, how very much God has blessed me. I have my comfortable little home. My sweet little companions. Family which is so dear to me. Wonderful friends. My needs are all met. I lack for nothing. It is a very good thing to just sit quietly for a minute and reflect on all of the blessings in your life each day. No life is perfect, but this is pretty darn close.

And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day . . . 


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
  ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
 ˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*We do not remember days,
we remember moments.
~Cesare Pavese•。★★ 。* 。





In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Mushroom & Broccoli Pasta. A one dish supper, sized for three that is hearty and delicious. You can add diced chicken or ham to it if you want, but its pretty tasty just as it is!


I hope you have a wonderful week, filled with abundance.  May your cup overflow.  Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   


11 comments:

  1. Hi Marie, A similar thing happened to me. After being so careful for three years I came done with Covid last month - started like a cold, too. Was sick through most of February (had a relapse) but I recovered and am feeling well - no sign of long Covid at this point. My 96 year old parent with chronic lung disease caught it too and is also doing well now. So please don't worry so much yet - he may go through it and come out just fine on the other side. Will add prayers - that always helps - but be hopeful. Many people come through just fine. I would have prefered not to have been sick with it but now I have some extra immunity, along with what I received from the vaccines so a small blessing there. Stay well, Kat in New England

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kat. I am trying to stay as safe as I can! I am happy that your parent was okay and is doing well. My sister in law now has it as well and it is making its way through the household. They are all very poorly. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Healing thoughts for your brother. There are still lots of cases of Covid around. I see another booster is coming out for older people. A bit of a dull day, some wet snow/rain for the next couple of days. Yes, March is a transition month, trouble is we are all so impatient for nicer weather. Enjoy your lunch outing today, it will be wonderful to catch up with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take all the boosters I can get Linda! I think they all help! Yes we are all getting a little impatient for the warmer weather now! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hope your brother feels better soon:)This Covid is hanging around..:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be with us for the long term now Monique. I don't think it will ever go away. We will spend the rest of our lives trying not to get it. Hopefully we will be blessed not to and if we do, it will only be a mild case. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about your brother...hopefully it will not be much worse than a cold (we have friends who just had it...though probably lasted about 2 weeks...but that is easier than the 2 times Hubby and I had it). Prayers that he will be ok and others not fall ill either!! Glad you have your needs met there as well as lovely times with kin and friends and your kitties!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. Still keeping you and yours in my prayers. I am glad that you and your husband were able to get through the Covid. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Sending prayers for David. Hope he has a mild case. Enjoy your lunch with your friends. Cute little chipmunk. Love and hugs, Elaine (In Toronto).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine. I had a message from him this morning and he thinks he is getting his taste back a bit. I had a great time with my friends! It was wonderful! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  6. Love the picture of the chipmunk in her little ballerina outfit, and the quote by Anne Dillard.
    Just said a prayer for healing for your brother, and for a hedge of protection around the rest of the family so no one else comes down with Covid.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!