Saturday 10 August 2019

The crowning of the year . . .



We sit here now at a time I like to think of as the crowning of the year . . . the nights are now beginning to draw in . . . the days getting that little bit shorter with each day that passes . . . soon now we will notice that the leaves at the tops of the trees are beginning to change colour . . . it will only be slight at first . . . a change as soft as a whisper, so soft that you will ask yourself . . . can it be???

And then . . . your heart will say . . . yes . . . summer is on the wane.

This is the time of year that our gardens are at their best . . . 


Lush and green and bursting with colour from all sides. The roses all a-bloom . . . their tender petals unfurled and sweet with scent . . . soon to drop and be replaced by rose-hips, bright and gay with ripe colour . . . rose-hip jam? I have always wanted to make some . . . but never have. Could this be the year . . . one never knows. It all depends on what whimsey befalls me . . .

The wheat and corn grow in the field . . . looking like sun-flecked seas beneath cloudless summer skies . . . little ripples breaking upon the surface with even the slightest breeze . . . while scarlet wild poppies, petals wide . . . dip and rise upon the restless tide . . . of summer's end . . .  




Evening sunlight rests upon the river . . . it never looks the same at any other time of year. Dragonflies flit about the reeds in an aerial dance, whilst in nearby peaceful pastures herds graze by quiet watermeads . . . and in and out between the islets,
a swam in quiet dance, with queenly grace moves to nest amongst the rushes, where willows . . .
interlace . . .

Where once the branch seemed as if t'was dead . . . heavy now with apples ripening, green fruit flushed red and golden where the thrushes sing. Once laid with frost, then scattered and tossed with a miraculous shower of rosy-tinted bud . . . a heavy bough awaits . . . the harvest time . . . twill soon be upon us . . .  




If t'were always summertime . . . weary we should grow of changeless weather . . . the unflading glow of sunshine, the endless bloom of roses fair. The flowers which bloom down garden ways, would lack the power they have to call forth from our hearts . . . words of joy . . . and praise.

Tis the expectation of summer sunshine and flowers, that make them all the sweeter . . . that delight us with it's golden hours.




The winter wait . . . the hope in spring . . . serve to make these golden days twice as sweet, for hidden in the recesses of our hearts . . . the knowledge lays that . . . time is on the wing . . . 

"Thou crownest the year with thy goodness . . . and the little hills rejoice on every side. The folds shall be full of sheep; the valleys also shall stand so thick with corn that they shall laugh and sing."
~Psalm 65:11-13  

  

I just love this photograph of Grace with Dexter.  They have been close companions since Grace was born. You can tell that they really love each other.  I think all children should have a dog that they grow up with.  Labs are particularly good with children. 

It was sunny when I got up this morning, but dark clouds are moving in. Yesterday morning I work up to thunder showers, but then as the day went on it got very sunny and muggy. The Mayflies are out and about. (They don't know it is August.)  I don't like them very much.  They are like flying Daddy Longlegs. I know mom would hate them.  She was not fond of any insects but flying ones that reminded her of a spider she would really not have liked, not one little bit. 

 I have a few things to do today.  I want to put the finishing touches on my lesson for tomorrow. Elder Candland and his wife are coming to stay overnight on Monday, so I want to do a few things in preparation for that also as I won't have time on Monday due to my lunch date with Carolyn and Tina. (Looking foward to that!)  The towel rack that Todd put on the door before Ariana moved in with us, keeps falling off and it needs fixing, and I have a cake to bake.  Plus I need to get started on my next recipe for the Knives Expert site.  
  


 I did one for them this past week. Lunchbox Pizza Muffins.   They wanted four recipes from me this month, so that's good.  I much prefer doing recipes over the knife reviews!  That's my forte!

And with that I will leave you with a thought for today  . . . 


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
Life has no remote,
get up and change
it yourself!  •。★★ 。* 。 


Ten Easy & Elegant Dessert Parfaits 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Ten Easy & Elegant Dessert Parfaits.  Scummy yummy!

Have a wonderful Saturday, no matter what you get up to!  Don't forget along the way . . .


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too! 
 






4 comments:

  1. LOVE that image of Dexter and Grace … oh, I can't even!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its just precious isn't it Mevely? I want to blow it up and frame it! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!