Thursday 8 August 2019

My favourite things . . .

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjOOPpfEd5Zsq2tbOc2-UBk6Njak8VrG7e7evggWXGZ2mh-j53ekFS5_iJ7oLR7meELGbGOHT1tpJoMRH-WDForIBx-F86puBU5K_uuGKf1hWiGc5Jko8kG6S71gFooUD3ZEZNrNzAWfJI/s320/alfp_favorite_things.png  
 
A few of the things which catch my eye, inspire me, pluck at my heart strings, make me smile, or that I just enjoy.  Maybe they will do the same for you.  
 
 
 
Wild Strawberries. When I was a really young girl I used to pick wild strawberries that grew along the railroad tracks that ran along the rear of our home at the first house we lived in when we lived in Gimli, Manitoba. They were tiny, being  just about the size of a baby fingernail . . .  but they were plentiful. We would pick enough for just a tiny bowlful for each my sister and I to enjoy. Mom would sprinkle them with sugar and pour a bit of milk over them. Their flavour was so intense.  I reckon everyone should have the opportunity to taste a wild strawberry at least once in their lifetime!  
 

 
   
 
Wild Blueberries.  Like the wild strawberry, wild blueberries have a much deeper and sweeter flavour than the cultivated ones.  Back home they grew in just about every rural back yard, and in abundance.  We would pick ice cream buckets full in the month of August.  They were small and filled with flavour and just perfect for popping into muffins, pies, pancakes, etc.  Picking them was back-breaking labour however as they grow very low to the ground. 
 
 
 
Olives.  I adore olives, both the black and the green.  I can remember being at a Brownie/Girl Guide mother and daughter banquet when I was a girl.  There were rows of tables, all set up with pristine white table cloths and on each table were trays of crudites and olives.  My mother told me that if I was brave enough to try an olive I might like it and so I did.  I did not like it, but she told me that if I tried another one I would like it a tiny bit more.  I did, and I did!  I am an olive lover! 
 
 
 
 
Painted wood furniture.  Especially if it looks distressed  . . .  

 
  
 
Vintage print table cloths.  I love them.  I used to have a couple that I had bought at yard sales back a lifetime ago.  I don't know what happened to them. 
  

 
Vintage embroidered post cards.  Mom used to have a few that she kept in her old trunk.  

 
 
  
 
Polka Dots  . . .  especially red and white ones  . . . 


 
 
Plain white china.  It goes with everything and all food looks great on it. 
 
 
  
 
Vintage pole lamps.  That reminds me of a story.  When my ex and I were first married we went to an Eaton's discount shop.  They sold seconds and floor  models.  We found a lovely pole lamp with gold coloured glass globes and it was a bit dear but we decided to splurge because it was still cheaper than a new one. We babied it all the way home in the car and got it home without breaking any of the globes.  My ex was putting it together and one of the globes rolled off the couch and broke  . . . talk about disappointment.  Those things were very fragile.  Its no wonder very few intact examples remain. 
 
 
 
Enamel ware  . . .  any kind  . . .  
 
 
  
 
Wooden rolling pins.  I don't trust any other kind.  I have a beechwood one that is heavy as heck, but I love it.  It does a great job. 
 
 
 
Gingham Curtains . . .  

 
 
  
 
Cutwork embroidery  . . .  especially for table linens  . . . 


 
Redwork embroidery.  Love it.  I did a few pillowcases for our bedroom all in red embroidery. 
 
 
  
 
A proper cherry pie  . . . 


 
Furry cows . . .  wooly cows . . .  highland cattle.  I just like cows period.
 
And those are my favourite things for this time around.  What are some of yours?
 
A thought to carry with you  . . . 
 
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
You don't need to
see the whole staircase.
Just take the first step.
~Martin Luther King  
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。 
 
 

Welsh Rarebit 
 
In the English Kitchen today  . . .  Proper Welsh Rarebit.  Deliciously simple.


Have a beautiful day  . . .  don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   
 



4 comments:

  1. I think we had a pole lamp:):)How disappointing indeed..Eaton's one of my fave jobs while in College..cosmetcs counter at Eatons..so sparkly shiny bright and filled with fun things.I loved helping people choose the right things for them:)this is '72;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the old Eaton's stores. We used to visit the one in Winnipeg all the time. And of course the Christmas Catalogue every year was a real treat for us children! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I miss going downtown to Eaton's and Simpson's. Loved those hotdogs and Honeydew orange drinks. I love olives, too. Your mom was right, it's an acquired taste. Those blue gingham and white curtains are so pretty and fresh looking. I'm off to look at your recipe for Welsh Rarebit. It looks delicious. Hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eaton's and Simpson's were the Best Elaine! I hope you will try the Welsh Rarebit! Love and hugs to you always! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!