Monday 12 August 2019

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 
 
"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard  

A few of the small and wonderful things from the past week which brought untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.
   
 
 
Another Relief Society lesson done and delivered for the month. Whew!  Now I can relax for a couple of weeks.  Yesterday's lesson was based on a talk from the April Conference by President M Russell Ballard, entitled,  The True, Pure & Simple Gospel of Jesus Christ.   
  

 
 
It was a great talk and a great lesson to teach. I taught for a bit and then had all the ladies break up into groups and they each had a topic and were challenged to discuss and then create a poster about what they had discussed.  
 

This was one of the posted created.  I love it!  I actually don't mind teaching.  I am quite comfortable doing it. I just wish I could sleep better the night before. It usually takes me half the night before I can fall asleep and then I am awake at the crack of dawn!  



It is tough to be at rock bottom.  Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.  I am so grateful that I have somehow always found the strength to drag myself out of the pit and find the joy.  Oh yes, I do have pity parties.  I am only human, but I try not to stay at them for very long if I can help it.  They aren't fun parties to be at.




The fact is if you aren't moving forward, you are standing still, and nothing will change unless you keep moving.  I am grateful that life has taught me this.  Embrace what you need to learn and then move on.  


  

Just this  . . .  I love this  . . .  



Our landlord put a note through the letterbox this weekend . . . how very brave.  The rent is going up by £10 a week, which might not seem like a lot, but when you are already struggling it is mammoth.  Immediately we went to work figuring out how we could pay it. It will be difficult, but we will somehow manage to do it, because we have to.  With a cut here and a cut there it can be done. Grateful for our "can-do" attitudes.  We do really need to find a place where we won't have to pay the bedroom tax any longer, either that or I need to find a way to make a living.  As it stands now, we will have to somehow come up with £180 to cover the access. It will be tough but somehow we will  manage. I have faith in our ability to do so. 




I am being treated to a lunch out with friends today.  I am really looking forward to it.  It is not something I get to do very often.  I have already made something for Todd to have and its waiting for him in the refrigerator.  The sun is shining and the birds are singing. We'll have a great laugh together. It will be fun!  Can't wait! 



This guy and his beautiful wife are coming to spend the night with us tonight.  All is ready for them and I can't wait.  He served his mission here at the same time we were serving ours.  Love him to pieces and I know we are going to love his wife also. Wish it could be longer than just one night, but we will take what we get!  I am going to make them Tortilla Eggs for breakfast and I hope they enjoy them!  I am sure they will!  Its lovely to see and spend time with the Missionaries, but its even nicer to get to spend time with them after their missions are finished because they choose to spend time with you.  


  

Fresh picked runner beans from the garden.  We've been enjoying them for the last couple of days.  They are so delicious.  I cut them into strips and steam them.  Yummy! 


   

Being able to dance  . . .  I have always loved music and I have always loved dancing to it.  I dance by myself most of the time. Todd says he has no rythym.  I don't care if I have rhthym or not, I'm dancing whenever I can!  Life flows easier if you can dance a little. 



You're not going to believe this, I almost didn't and it may even give you a giggle.  I found the motor to my immersion blender  . . . in the potato bin.   

  

Who'd a thunk it! 



Reruns of the GBBO on Netflix.  I never watched this series until just a few years ago and I am enjoying catching up with all of the old ones.  Its great fun. I love it.  People are always saying how they think I should apply to go on it. NO THANK YOU!  I am too long in the tooth for that kind of lark now.  I enjoy baking, but without the stress thank you very much! 

 
 
I never bake chocolate cakes because Todd doesn't like them. I love chocolate cake. This weekend I said what the heck and I baked one, knowing pretty much that I would be the only one to enjoy.  I sent most of it next door, but I enjoyed my piece of chocolate cake very much. 
 
 Going to church, loving and being loved, enjoying good health and a roof over my head, food in my tummy, puppy cuddles and a whole lot more. Life is much better with a smile.

Not sure if I will get on tomorrow or not due to company, but we will see.  Don't worry if I can't make it on early in the day, I might make it on later!

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 
*
People will love you,
people will hate you,
and none of it will have
anything to do with you.
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。 
 
I wish you could have seen Grace walking around church yesterday in her little pink shoes.  She is so cute! 
 

Easy Boston Baked Beans 
 
In the English Kitchen today  . . .  Easy Baked Beans.  Yummo!


I hope your week ahead is filled to overflowing with a multitude of small and wonderful things.  Don't forget! 
 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too!  


14 comments:

  1. Do enjoy your lunch out today and your visit with your Missionary friends. And have a wonderful birthday on Tuesday. Hope it's filled with love and even a little excitement. £40 increase a month in rent seems very high to me. I'm sorry you have that stress to deal with. Hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine! I will. I am so grateful to be reaching the age of 64. So many people in my family have died in their 63rd year so that has been on my mind all year. Can't wait for tomorrow to dawn! It is a steep rent increase and we are not very happy about it, but we will somehow just have to manage it. We have been paying for the Boiler maintenance all these years and so will stop that with immediate effect. Its really the Landlord's responsability and technically had anything gone wrong with the boiler the company would not have honored the agreement because it is the Landlord who is supposed to pay for it. If the boiler breaks down, we will have it fixed and charge the cost to them. That will save us almost £18 a month, plus there are a few other areas we can tighten our belts in. God never closes a door but what he opens a window! Trusting in His promises! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  2. You are in joy:) That is fab! May this whole year keep you in joy:)Happy Bday for tomorrow!!In case you don't post and have fun w/ that movie star couple:)!Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, aren't they attractive! Most young people today are I think! But then I am old now and not so nice looking, lol. Thanks Monique! I hope to have a nice day and year! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I will be praying you find either a cheaper place to live or something moves the landlord to change his mind. I wonder if there is some kind of fund in your area that would help older folks with such? Life is a continual challenge one way or another isn't it? Love hearing about little Grace!! That was my beloved Grandma's name and is part of the middle names of my last child as well. Funny thing, those named Grace that I have known are always full of grace too!! Keep hope dear friend!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we will try to move to a smaller place if we can find one Elizabeth. We will have to be made homeless first however as the council will not rehouse us as we are considered to be adequately housed. Funny, but that is how it goes. My mom's middle name was Grace also. Love and hugs Elizabeth! xoxo

      Delete
  4. These are some powerful memes! May you enjoy many Happy Birthday blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS...Happy Birthday too...hope you get something yummy to eat even if you must cook it yourself (often what I do...good grief most restaurants here are barely ok)!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I am with you on the quality of restaurant food these days! blech!! xoxo

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed your upbeat post. Hope you had a wonderful time with your guests and your lunch date. God has a way of providing for our needs when we trust Him. Happy birthday, Marie. ~Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Elaine! I had a lovely time! God does indeed provide for our needs. I have total faith in Him and His providence! xoxo

      Delete
  7. LOVE your can-do and keeping JOY alive spirit, Marie! You are such an inspiration to me, and so many! :) I hope all will go well with the rent, or finding another, less expensive place. These things aren't easy. :/ Hope you had a lovely time out yesterday, and with your friend and his wife--goodness what good-looking young folks they are! How sweet to think of little Grace in here tiny pink shoes...*sigh*... Glad you baked yourself a chocolate cake--gotta have chocolate once in a while. ;) Hope you are having a FABULOUS BIRTHDAY, my dear friends... wishing you a day full of your favorite things and many blessings--GOD BLESS YOU!! LOVE YOU LOTS!! OXOXOX ((LOVE & BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much my sweet friend, and for your lovely e-card. You are so thoughtful. You would love seeing Grace in her little pink shoes. She is a little treasure. Love and big hugs and blessings to you, TJ and Luna! xoxoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!