Tuesday 17 September 2024

A Day Book . . .

 



FOR TODAY, September 17th, 2024



OUTSIDE MY WINDOW ...

I took this photo last night, early in the evening.  You can see how quickly the leaves are turning on the trees. It seems like overnight, but it really isn't.  It just feels that way.  My hummingbird feeder is still up as is the gentleman's across the way. I looked it up online and it recommends that you keep it up until October just in case there are stragglers coming through. I haven't seen a hummer in about a week now.  The last one I saw was a female and she spent quite a long time at the feeder.  People are still seeing them in the next town over so I am not ready to remove it just yet.  Plus the woodpeckers enjoy it.




I AM THINKING ...

What a gorgeous month September is. You get the beautiful warm sunny days, but the nights are blessedly cooler.  Most days are sunshine without a lot of rain. You get to watch the landscape slowly changing from its summer dress into it's autumn ball gown, getting ready for the dance of pirouetting leaves and falling apples.  It is a month of new beginnings and anticipation.





 


I AM ALSO THINKING ...

About how much I am going to enjoy my trip with Cindy on Friday this week. We are hoping to get to the Farmer's markets this week and Friday is the day.  Cindy has someone coming to work on their outside front deck today, and tomorrow I have a phone appointment and should find out who my new Doctor is.  Then Thursday Cindy had a medical appointment and I have the girl coming to clean up my gardens.  So Friday is the only day this week we can do it.  I will have to go to the grocery store today at any rate as I am running out of flour and I used up all of my molasses yesterday.  I also need fresh baking soda.



Sweet Piccalilli



IN THE KITCHEN ...

Sweet Piccalilli.  It is not a huge favorite of mine, but one of my readers had asked for a recipe for it.  It is a British type of vegetable relish, quite mustardy and sharp. I prefer sweeter relishes myself.  It does need to sit for three  months before you can eat it. so if you make it now it will be ready by Christmas.





ON MY "TO COOK" LIST ...

Once Upon a Chef.  Maple Muffins. I love Maple anything and these look very good.




 



LOOKING FORWARD TO ...

There is much to look forward to. A day out with Cindy.  The girl coming to clean the garden. A new Doctor.  General Conference coming up for the church in just a few weeks. I am grateful for a busy life.



 


REMEMBERING ...

Days in the past when I would be so busy in September putting together jams, jellies, pickles and preserves.  My cupboard would be lined with the beautiful sparkling jewels of jars filled with the fruits of my labors . . .  green tomato chow, pickled beets, dills and bread and butter pickles, fruit relish, chili sauce, Lady Ashburnams,  strawberry jam, blueberry jam, blackberry jelly, crabapple jelly . . .  the list goes on.  I so always loved making these things. I cannot even begin to use a portion of that stuff now.  Jam is a rare treat for me because of my diabetes.  Cindy and I made the crabapple jelly last year, but it is still sitting there for the most part.


 



SOMETHING NICE ...

This intrigued me. I have always loved butterflies.  You don't see them like you used to in years gone by.  In the U.K. I got Peacock Butterflies in our garden. They were so beautiful.







I KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE ...

Love is the greatest gift that we can give to ourselves and to others.  It is at the core of the Savior's teachings, and the source of the two greatest commandments of God.  To love God with all your heart, mind and soul, and to love others as we would love ourselves.  If only there was more love in the world, what a wonderful place it would be  . . . 


I AM WANTING TO CREATE ...




Lia Griffith   Paper Lanterns






How to Makes   Granny Square Chickens





Tiny Annies   . . .  so cute.





Anna by TasiaTeddy Bears   So cute.


 


Autumn Houses.  Felt Banner by Homemade Heart Felt on Etsy.



 


OH MY GOODNESS ...

Loving the Chenille pillows and the basket of flowers  . . . 





LOVE, LOVE, LOVE ...

All of the bedding made with Liberty fabrics.  Etsy. Not cheap. But pretty to look at. All of the bedding in this shop makes me swoon.




MAKES ME SMILE ...

Lord of the Manor. Sir Nutmeg of Estate Lane. He can be rather grumpy and comes across as a bit of a thunder lord, but his bark is much worse than his bite. He is a big old softie and is a bit of a scaredy cat with anything he is not familiar with.  He is my snuggle bug, and loves to nestle in close to me on the sofa.  He only wants to be petted when he wants to be petted however and will take a swipe or nip at you when he doesn't.  And he does have a bit of a temper. I love him anyways.





I AM READING ...


BORROWED LIGHT, by Carla Kelly

Our heroine, Julia Darling, is a 27 year old cooking school graduate, who breaks her engagement to the "perfect" man, and leaves Salt Lake City to work as a ranch cook in the wilds of Wyoming. The man who hires her, Paul Otto, is a well-known and highly respected rancher with a somewhat enigmatic past, who has built his life around the idea (from a scripture that he can't identify) that we are all beggars in one way or another. Accordingly, he has collected a motley assortment of ranch hands, including an orphaned child, an alcoholic doctor, and a young Irish drifter. 


 This book is somewhat different from Ms. Kelly's usual work; it's more like an Inspirational romance with an LDS (as opposed to evangelical) flavor. For those not familiar with the genre, these are romances written from a Christian perspective. The faith element is considered central to the story, and to the personal growth of characters.

I loved this book the first, second and third time I read it. Yes, I am reading it for a fourth time. I have read the whole series, which consists of three novels. All very good. Clean. Inspiring. Entertaining.  I highly recommend. 

THINGS I LOVE ...

 


Ripe pears  . . .  they are my favorite fruit.


 


Autumn leaves  . . . 

 


Pasta  . . .  in any way shape or form  . . . .


 


Bread and Butter  . . . . 


 

Checks  . . . 


 


MAKES ME SMILE ...

Such beautiful artistry. A study in foxes  . . . 





SOMETHING TO WATCH ...

Call Jane on Netflix. Thought provoking . . . 


A THOUGHT TO CARRY WITH YOU ...


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.Every positive change in your life 
begins with a clear, unequivocal decision 
that you are going to either do something 
or stop doing something.”° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
~Brian Tracy° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •


And that is my daybook for this week!  Thanks always for being here!


  ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆

  ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆ 




✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•
*¨`*•. ╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥╬
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ 


Have a beautiful day!  Don't forget!  

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   

6 comments:

  1. I'm not a mustard pickle fan either. You have a busy week ahead, lots to look forward to and enjoy. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the photos you chose for this post but nothing compares to that adorable photo of Nutmeg! How handsome he is.
    Maybe it’s my area, but our hummingbirds stick around all year. Our winter is mild. We rarely get snow and one time when we had some snow, we saw birds, hopping around in the rare snow and I saw a hummingbird by my kitchen window. They are such cute little birds and always fascinating to watch.
    I really like the simplicity of the autumn leaves on the clothes line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that bdr with he gorge chenille pillows:) Love.Thanks for the TV rec:). Started The Old man..Ted Lasso is coming back..yay and..
    All creatures Thursday..Watched The Perfect Couple..It is just ok. To us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quote from Victor Hugo!!
    Hugs, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything today, gorgeous and yummy…love the Tiny Annie, love Nutmeg…thanks for sharing Victor Hugo, tv and book selections.
    Oh, what a lovely week you have ahead of you …
    ESPECIALLY time with Cindy! …xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lovely picture of Nutmeg. He is very handsome, indeed. I’m going to make the Maple Muffins on the weekend. I just made a banana loaf yesterday. It had maraschino cherries, walnuts and coconut as well as bananas plus a bit of almond flavouring. So good. It was from a Presbyterian church cookbook. This week is busy for you, Marie. Hope you like your new doctor. Have fun on Friday with Cindy. Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto).

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!