Saturday 28 September 2024

All things Nice . . .

 

 

There is a tang to autumn air
As if the wine of Life were spilled
In every field and vacant lot;
A spicy brew pressed and distilled
From every tree and wayside hedge,
From every door and window ledge.

Across the orchard comes the breath
Of ripened fruit on tree and vine,
The tang of peaches over-ripe,
Apples as crisp as Bourbon wine,
Blue grapes in clusters honey sweet;
Dry leaves that crunch beneath your feet.

The odor of the sun-warmed earth,
Citrons and marrow, quince and dill,
The whiff of apple juice that drifts
Out from a home-made cider mill,
As picturesque as an old print,
Bright as new coppers in a mint.

The scent of bergamot and musk,
Was never lovelier I swear,
Then the rich smell of tree and vine,
That mingles in the autumn air,
When Earth is offering incense up,
Like red wine in a crystal cup.
~Edna Jacques, Fall Fragrance
Back Door Neighbors, 1946


I don't know how she does it, but every time I read a poem by Edna Jacques, it touches my soul, and speaks to my heart.  That is a special talent, to be able to weave words together in such a way as to touch the souls and hearts of others the way that she does.  

She is not alone. We are so blessed to have had many, many people through the years who have this same talent. When I think of all of the poets and writers through the ages, I am overcome with thankfulness. How much they have brightened the lives of others, helped to inspire people to think, carried us away into places we never would be able to visit, with experiences that we could only have experienced through the gentle weaving of their words.  

What a debt of gratitude we owe to these wordsmiths, who so gently entwine their prose around us and help us to see things with a different perspective, or who manage somehow to capture the very essence of our hearts, sight unseen.  My life has been greatly enhanced by their talents, as have all of ours. Shakespeare, Austin, Dickenson, Alcott, Wordsworth, Whitman . . .  the list goes on and on. How blessed we have been to have had access to all of their words.  

And now, today  . . .  at the tips of our fingers. No need to leave our homes or even our desks.  We live in a magical time . . . 



 

And isn't this such a magical time of the year.  The sights, the smells, the sounds, the feels. Edna has captured it perfectly with her words.  Each day brings change as the nights begin to draw in even more and are shortened. I am now waking up in darkness once more, as well as going to bed in darkness. It is the time of year to bring out our candles and throws, and, if you are lucky enough to have a wood stove, to bring in the wood, and have a small fire on the odd evening that carries with it a chill.  

I did take my hummingbird feeder down this week as I had not seen any hummers for about 2 weeks.  It just seemed to be the right time. I doubt any stragglers will be through here any time soon. It is all cleaned up and put away for next year.


I have also had my gardens cleared out and bedded down for the winter.  I don't have much, just two strips of garden, one at the front and one at the back.  I hired the same girl who came to do it in the Spring. She does a beautiful job.  And she always does a bit extra.  This time she brought two mums to plant in the front so that it wouldn't look so bare.  She said that they should come up again next year.  That was so kind of her.

Isn't it wonderful that we live in a world where such kind people still exist??  People who go above and beyond what is expected of them. They embroider our lives with simple kindnesses. Would that everyone would be like that. What an amazing difference that would make in the world.






Cinnamon has the naughty habit of getting up to lay down on the top of the electric fireplace which sits beneath my television.  It does annoy me a bit as I then cannot control the channels, sound, etc. It is hidden behind her. I snapped her photo as she lay  there last night because she was looking so cute, but look  . ..  the words from the television behind her. I couldn't have planned it any better if I had tried.  This brought a smile to my face and I hope a smile to yours.


What would I do without those two furry creatures that share my home with me.  They have added an immeasurable amount of joy and interest.  I do so love them both very much.  





Nutmeg can be a very naughty boy however. He likes to sit on top of the same electric fire and he will try to pull things out from the top shelf.  He thinks he is being very clever, and I suppose in a way he is.  Just not in a way that I want him to be.



 

I had planned on doing at least one video this week, but life conspired against me. On the day that I had planned on doing one, I ended up going to the emergency room.  I had not been feeling well all night the night before,  and it continued on through the morning. I finally called Cindy and told her I was not feeling well, and what the problem was. Heart palpitations, accompanied with an uncomfortable feeling in my chest, and I was sweating off and on. We decided I should go to the emergency room at the hospital here in town, while it was open. It is a lot closer than having to go to Kentville, which is about 45 minutes away, and if we waited too long, that is what we would have had to do. 

So off we went. I have to say they took very good care of me.  I was seen to almost immediately, and they did all the right things and tests.  In the end, it was the same as every other time I have gone. They could not find a reason for it. It was not my heart that they could see, but they are ordering a heart halter that you can wear overnight.  My father has had the same.  Its not that easy to sleep with it on, but you do what you have to do. It will take months probably before that comes through.

I was grateful that they didn't think it was my heart.  I did feel a bit sheepish at having wasted their time, but I had no way of knowing what it was or what it wasn't, and I believe I did the right thing. It is an awful way to feel when this happens, and when these symptoms begin you start feeling very anxious which only adds to it.

At least this time I did not add the cost of an ambulance drive to it.  I am so grateful for a loving and kind sister who willingly drops everything to come and help me out.  Whatever would I do without her.  I wish that there was some special kindness I could do for her.  She says I do enough for her, but I don't think that I do.

So, no video this week, but next week for sure.  


 


I believe we are going to collaborate together on a book, my sister and I.  She is such a talented illustrator, and I have the words.  First we need to make a plan, which I am working on.  It will be a bit of a long process bringing it all to fruition, but here is hoping that we can pull it off, and I believe that we can do it.  I believe in the power of us.  It might just be a dream or a flight of fancy . . . but  . . .  you do need to have a dream in order to have a dream come true.  I think a collaboration between the two of us would be a wonderful legacy for our children.


Oh, it's delightful to have ambitions . . . 
And there never seems to be any end to them. 
That's the best of it. Just as soon as you attain 
to one ambition 
you see another one glittering higher up still. 
It does make life so interesting.
~Anne Shirley (L.M. Montgomery)

What would life be without dreams or ambitions.


 

One thing I need to work harder on, or to make space for in my life, is a bit of self-nurturing. I have not done much of that in my life.  I have spent the lion's share of my life caring for and nurturing others.  Perhaps that is a woman's lot in life . . . to care for others.  Since the age of 19 when I had my first child, I have been caring for others. Perhaps even before that as I had the responsibility of caring for my younger brother and sister not too long after my mother went back to work when I was 11. She employed a few women at first to do it, but they did not work out, so when I turned 13 it was decided that I could do what they had not really been doing. 

In any case, now that I find myself living on my own, it is the perfect time for me to begin practicing a bit of self-nurturing for myself, and I don't mean that in a selfish way. Perhaps it is when we truly care for ourselves, it is possible that we end up caring more profoundly about other people . . .  that the more sensitive we allow ourselves to be to our own needs, the more loving and generous we can actually be towards others.

But how does that start.  I think at first by small things and  simple rituals.  Maybe not much more than ten or twenty minutes of time a day needs to be spent.  Time in which we close off everything from the outside world . . .  perhaps  indulging in our favorite cup of herbal tea and some quiet time . . .  free from the demands of the noise from the  outside our doors and the television, etc.

One thing which I really do enjoy is organizing things. I love the clean and fresh way that things look afterwards. It really brightens my soul.  

Adding special touches here and there to a room, even if it is only a few tealights to add a special glow, or a new pillow cover. Small joys and comforts.

An hour here and there spent doing something which you really enjoy doing that is just for you and for nobody else . . .  all in the aid of self-nurturing.


 


This week I purchased some little tealight holders in amber glass and some battery tealights for in them.  These tealights are on timers.  They go off automatically after six hours, which I thought was a nice touch.  They added a special touch of cozy to that corner of my home where you come into the front door.  I think it is a corner which brings me joy.  My bookcase full of my inspirational books, with the curtain across. Luna Lapin with the outfit that my sister sewed for her.  My geranium, my father's old clock, the Bee hanging from my friend Mary, and now the tea lights. I do believe that corner is done, and I fed my soul in the process.






Do yourself a favor and fall into the world of Kristen and Joerg.  I have been watching their videos on YouTube. They are completely charming and I feel such a sense of peace and calm when I am watching them. They seem like very sweet people and totally in love with each other. Oh, I know that we only catch a small glimpse of their lives on their channel, but there are far worse ways to waste your time, and I come away with a smile in my heart every time I watch them.  They are truly something nice. They make me smile in a big way








And finally I have to show you my sister's two youngest cats. They do not look like kittens any longer.  That is Gus on top, keeping Sully (on the bottom) in place. Probably giving him a bath. Gus is the one I fell in love with his photograph on Facebook and showed to my sister as I knew she would love him also. And Dan fell in love with Sully, well, they both did . . . with his white paws and little black toe beans.  They are both siblings from the same litter. Gus has a really interesting personality.  

Ahh cats  . . .  we are cat ladies.  Sometimes I think I would like to get another kitten, but then I slap myself and remind myself that I have quite enough to cope with with the two cats I already have.



And with that I will leave you with a thought for the day  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.Autumn is a place
where words fall short.
It is magic that must be felt,
breathed, experienced
and treasured.•。★★ 。* 。
~Laura Jaworski° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •


Pear & Chocolate Sponge Pudding



In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Pear & Chocolate Sponge Pudding, served warm with homemade custard. Cozy. Cozy. COZY.  This is quite wonderful.


I hope you have a beautiful weekend, filled with all sorts of nice things and good people. Whatever you get up to, be blessed, and safe, and don't forget!!


═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   






2 comments:

  1. I am glad you are OK:) Be well..have a nice weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better safe than sorry, so having things checked out was a good idea. Take care. Cindy's kitties are growing, yours are very mischievous. Your little corner with the new lights looks very cozy. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!