Saturday 13 April 2024

All Things Nice . . .

 


To think that I shall move in company,
With stars and wind and cloud,
The hills that clap their hands in joy,
The brooks that sing aloud.

To think that I may know the earth,
Where pale white lilies blow,
Blue shadowed hills where tiny tracks
Are printed in the snow.

And here beside me walking now
Are hosts unseen I swear,
I feel their presence like a cloud
About me everywhere.

Oh world untouched by mortal hands
Bend closer still that I
May hear the rustle of the wings,
Sweeping across the sky.
~Edna Jaques, To Think
Beside Still Waters, 1939


I often feel my mother close by, watching over me, loving me still. I wish that I could just reach out and touch her arm, or feel her tender touch.  I have read stories of those who have been injured and are close to death being ministered to by those on the other side of the veil. My friend Lura, after she was in that bad car accident and was in hospital, her life hanging by a thread, she remembers her bed being surrounded by her loved ones, praying over here, ministering to her, aiding her . . .  and I have heard of many other instances. I like to think that these things are true. I love these thoughts . . . thinking that those loved ones of mine who have gone on before, and the angels which are on the other side, are cheering me on, praying for me, watching over me with love and care.  True, or not, it brings a certain level of comfort into my life. It makes me want to be the best that I can be. Or at least try. I am not perfect, after all  . . .  only human . . .  all I can do is to try.

 


Nothing moves the heart more than seeing spring plowing. It pricks the heart in a special way, so much so that you want to stop what you are doing and just watch and think, your thoughts turning over and back in your mind, just as the plough turns over the dark, rich earth . . . 


Plowing means rebirth of the growing season, that Nature will once again justify our faith in her rhythm, that there are still some things in the world that we can count on. There is a special security in nature, and it restores the heart to realize this as I watch the blades bite down into the earth, furrows of dark, damp soil rising up to meet the sky . . .  


Gulls follow the plow seeking anything good that might come from the earth.  I wonder . . .  what will they plant this year. Will it be beans or peas . . . potatoes . . .  In the fields near to us, last year was corn, and the year before that carrots. The carrots sat in huge piles in the autumn after harvesting, waiting to fill the beds of the trucks that would come to take them off to wherever they were going. 




This act of plowing, this ritual of spring. It is something which goes on, in one way or another, all over the world . . . whenever Spring arrives in whatever corner. I like to imagine people all over the earth, digging their hoes into the soil on the rounded sides of this ball we call home.  I feel a sense of brotherhood with all peoples who go out into the clear and early morning of a bright Spring day and say, "This is the day to plow!"

I know nothing of their worlds, and have probably never tasted the fruits of their labors, and yet I feel a special kinship with them in knowing how they might feel after a day of plowing  . . .  at the day's end as they face the clean receptive earth awaiting the touch of the seed. There must be a certain sense of satisfaction to be felt. To some this is their life's blood and how they keep afloat.  Hope held in every furrow of the cut of the plow . . . 


 

This has been a busy week and next week promises to be even busier.  I love this life of mine with its full, full days.  I have a routine, and most days follow basically the same pattern, but they are days that are filled with activity and promise.  I love the days I spend with my sister most of all.  They are almost like we always planned that they would be when we got old and grey. Of course when I say grey, I speak for myself. I am the grey one. My sister has barely a thread of silver in her hair.  There is only the odd one when the sun hits her head.  Most of the time they are barely noticeable. She is like my mother, who had no silver or grey hairs until she was very old.  Her dark hair just simply faded as the years went by . . . 



I did one of those old filters on my snapchat the other day to see what I might look like and I was surprised at the result.  I can see my mother there. I never thought that I looked anything at all like my mother, but there it is.  It is quite obvious to me.  I think I look quite pleasant.  I am not bothered by it in the least.


Those filters can be quite fun. Sometimes I will play with them.  I have tried to get the cats to look into them, but they are most uncooperative. lol


There are filters out there that can do just about anything, even make you look 16 again, although I have yet to use that one.  This brings to mind thoughts about this world we are living in where anyone can be whoever they want to be.  You often see people using these highly edited filters as their profile pictures. I have quite an old profile photo of myself on Instagram, but I have not been able to figure out how to change it.  And I have tried. It is more difficult to change these things once you are Meta Verified. (Which I did to protect my account from being stolen.)


This  way of changing your appearance begs one to question a lot of things. What is real. What isn't real. We need to be ever more careful and discerning about the things we choose to trust these days.


 

Who you think you are chatting to   . . . 


 

Who you are really chatting to . . .

Sorry this just made me laugh. I thought it might make you laugh also.
I think the second one is the Gollum filter.  Oh the things which amuse us.  But it illustrates my point perfectly.  We need to be really careful with what we choose to trust today.  What was once just a roll of toilet paper, is now called a DOUBLE roll of toilet paper with a wider tube in the middle.   But at least it is still toilet paper. As far as we know, lol.


 

All of the trees and shrubs are in bud now. I have noticed that the Maple tree out back has lots of lovely red buds coming out. I would think with a few warm days they will turn to leaf.  At Cindy's there are buds on the lilac and on her forsythia. 

The birds are sounding lovely now. Birdsong has the power to lift the mood and refocus the mind. It is one of the treasures of Spring and can be enjoyed anywhere, listening from the solitude of your bedroom window or front porch, to the sidewalks and parking lots of the town.

I like to take a few minutes every morning to listen to it at this time of year.  You can hear different patterns and notes. Some I recognize and other's I don't. The notes of their performance come together in a wall of sound that delights my senses. It is nature's symphony and sets the tone for my days.

Restorative and balancing.






Cindy and I tripped through the local fabric store yesterday, perusing fabrics for our plans.  They had these foxy needle threaders. I could not resist picking up one for each of us.  They were so cute. This needle threader is double sided for smaller as well as bigger needles. I am not sure just how small a needle it will help you thread.  It is a cute addition to the sewing box at any rate.  

A person could spend hours in a fabric store and a bomb of money.  I have always loved fabrics.  I find it very hard to cut into them. I hoard them almost like a pirates treasure. I am the same with buttons. I do use my yarn however, but I do tend to hoard that as well.  I don't know why I am like that with these things. Oh, and art supplies.  I think I am well intentioned, just lacking on time. I keep telling myself I need to make more time, and then  I don't.

And with that I best get on with my day and leave you with a thought  . . . 

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/   ~
\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
 *.˛.Nature gives to every time
and season some beauties
of its own.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
~Charles Dickens° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 




In The English Kitchen today  . . . Blender Banana Bread. You put it together in the blender, or a food processor. Delicious and moist, and a very easy make!


I hope you have a beautiful weekend filled with joy, peace and happiness.  Whatever you get up to, stay safe and don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   











 

9 comments:

  1. I think most of us folks who enjoy crafts never are able to accomplish what we wish we could!! For one reason or another. Me too. Also altho I have not experienced what your friend Lura did, I have had other things that happened to me so I indeed do believe her. I could easily have crossed over when my first child was born, and was aware of that possibility, but I was far too busy to notice anything other than what I had to do in order to give birth. Not an experience I would wish on anyone!! But very glad we both made it out alive and mostly ok!! The one good thing? Being in a military hospital, I DID get our money's worth...only cost us $14.95 and that was for my food those days in hospital. Otherwise? It very awful time that was not necessary and had we been civilian it would not have happened. It just was not our time to die is all. Our survival had nothing to do with the so-called "care" we got.
    Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that there is a time appointed to each of us. A time to live and a time to die, etc. When it is our time it is our time. I have often heard that military hospitals are not the best, and yet, I have heard the opposite as well. Happy you survived and that I have gotten to "know" you Elizabeth! xoxo

      Delete
    2. Ah thank you, Marie...well, yea, there are lots of horror stories out there. I had to go get a pair of shoes after delivery because with all the swelling (whole body due to toxemia which was not noticed until delivery either) and ran into another lady who had given birth a month ahead of me, in same place...exact same story. Also, about 6 months earlier we were in a different state and I stayed during labor etc with a friend whose husband had been sent to sea a few days before her delivery date (also was not supposed to happen...but that was the US NAVY in those days). Those doctors got upset because she was in so much pain and panic stricken and SLAPPED HER HARD ON THE THIGH during labor!! Turned out her baby had to come c-section because it was sitting crossed legs over the birth canal, butt in canal...could not be born. Guess she was in awful pain huh? BOTH military hospitals. Yep there is more than one reason my hubby got out after 6 years in the nuclear Navy...I could write a book frankly. I think today things are better some...because it is a volunteer military, not drafted, though my husband was not drafted. But they assumed all enlisted were I guess. What about us civilian wives pray tell?? Well, I was stupid...had 2 second cousins within an hour of me...either would have delivered the baby much sooner and both of us would not have almost died. I try hard to never repeat a bad experience!! Other deliveries were civilian and better, though also not perfect.
      Elizabeth xo

      Delete
  2. Trying my Google account to comment this morning, to see if there is any difference. I always enjoy your Saturday poems. I've never tried the filters, you got interesting results. It is still windy this morning with rain in the air. I'm off to check out your banana bread recipe. I buy a bunch of bananas (and other things) on Thursday using the senior discount at Shoppers so will probably have some left over this week. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very mild here yesterday. I do not even have my heat pump on this morning, although it is rather chilly this morning and I should probably put it on. Aren't Seniors discounts wonderful? We are blessed that many do give them! Some places you have to ask however! Hope you are having a lovely weekend! xoxo

      Delete
  3. You had fun with your snapchat filter. Talk about seeing into the future. Enjoy your weekend, Marie. I’m off to make your banana loaf. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have fun Elaine. Eileen and I will do it together sometimes and have a great old laugh! Hope you enjoy the banana loaf! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  4. I rolled my car three times about fifteen years ago. I was unconscious, and had the most beautiful experience of blessing; I cannot put it into words. Among other injuries, my hand was crushed and in a cast for months. When it was finally out of the cast, I was left with a scar that is the perfect print initial of my first name, and it is still visible and unchanged. Each time I look at my hand I am reminded in the most literal way that God knows my name, and that he loves and cares for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful thoughts Kath. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. What a beautiful experience. xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!