Tuesday 16 April 2024

A Day Book . . .

 


FOR TODAY, April 16th, 2024


 


Outside my window ...

Its garbage day.  Every house has their garbage bags lined up ready for pick up. Its also Spring Cleanup Week so they also have stuff they want to get rid of out there.  Glenna's forsythia is in bloom, all of the tulips and daffodils are up.  Its partly cloudy, but the sun is supposed to come out and we are looking forward to a fine day with a high of 14*C/52*F.  So, altogether not bad. There are no sheep in sight.


I am thinking ...

Last night I was feeling very homesick for the U.K. I wonder how that is possible. Its not like I was born there or anything. But I did love living there very much. I do watch a lot of British television.  I would not be without my family here in Canada. I know what it is like to be far away from them and unable to see them. I would not trade being here, close to them for anything in the world.  I do miss certain things about the U.K. however. I suppose its only natural as I did live there for roughly a third of my life.




I am also thinking ...

Jon has gotten into the college he applied to.  I am so proud of him! He has done really well.  He will be 18 in just a few weeks now.  Its hard to believe.  I am so grateful that I have had the opportunity to get to know and spend time with these boys of mine.  All five of them.  I am now a real person to them and they are real to me. Tangible and huggable. That is the best thing ever! That is something I did not have across the pond.  Anyways, congratulations to Jonathan! Grammy is proud of you!




In the kitchen ...

Cheese and Onion Bakes (Greggs Copycat).  A quick and easy copycat recipe for a type of puff pastry pastie that was/is very popular in the U.K. With a beautiful shatteringly crisp all butter puff pastry case, and a delicious cheese, onion and potato filling.  Fabulously moreish!



On my "To Cook" list ...

Garibaldi Biscuits from The Monday Box I adore Garabaldi's or Fly Cemeteries as they are also known. (I prefer the name Garibaldi!)


Good to know ...



I would love to create ...


I would love to start making my raggedy dolls again. I will need to rebuy all of the patterns as they got left in the U.K.  I used to love making them so much.



Little boxes  . . .  I also loved making little box vignettes and my matchbox dolls.



I sold every one I ever made. I don't have any of them myself. I also don't have any of the materials that I used to make them with, nor the high quality printer I used to print out my little figures to put on them.  A thing of the past methinks  . . . 



I have what I need to make these though and I should  . . . 


I used to love making all of these things.  I need to feed my creativity more than I do!


Oh my goodness ...


 

Is there anything as delicious as  fresh baguette?  I think not!


I am reading ...



The Wisdom of Donkeys by Andy Merrifield  

A walk in the French countryside with a donkey inspires this literary ode to peace, presence, and fulfillment.

In this enchanting book, Andrew Merrifield sets out on a journey of the soul with a friend's donkey, through the crumbling ruins and spectacular vistas of southern France's Haute-Auvergne. Along the way the understated nobility of Gribouille, his humble donkey companion, allows him to confront himself as well as to consider the larger mysteries of life. 

As Merrifield contemplates literature, science, truth, beauty, and the universality of nature amid the French countryside, Gribouille surprises him with his subtle wisdom, reminding him time and again that enlightenment is all around us if we but seek it. 

Traveling with Merrifield and Gribouille, we're reminded of the exquisite benefits of nature, passive adventuring, and wild spaces.

A delight.


Looking forward to ...


 

The month of May when all of the apple and fruit trees are in bloom. Its so pretty to take  a drive up the valley during Apple Blossom season!

Things that I love ...


 


Fields of wild flowers  . . . 


 

Letters in the post  . . .  a rare occurrence these days.

 

Sunny kitchen windows  . . . 

 


The sound of hens clucking in the yard  . . . 




La Rocca Chocolate Fudge Cake  . . .  seriously delicious. We can buy it by the slice at our Super Store.  $4 a slice.  Not as dangerous as having a whole cake.

Things I know to be true ...




Something to watch ...



Midsummer Night on Netflix. I thoroughly enjoyed this little series.  It was really good.


Makes me smile ...






Both of my companions  . . .  such sweetness  . . . 

A thought to carry with you ...

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/   ~ \。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Just living is not enough.
One must have sunshine,
freedom and a little flower.


And that's my daybook for this week!



  ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆

  ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆ 




✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.• ╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ 



Have a beautiful day!  Don't forget!  

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   

5 comments:

  1. Yay for Jon..such a nice smile and great hair:). Its natural to miss things you loved..:) But you are in love now:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Jon, your family is proud of you. I miss UK too, and been back here since 1981, especially when family are visiting UK from Australia and cousins are sharing photos. A sunny day here, attempting to do some garden work, slowly, as there is no rush and my back won't let me do a lot at once. Listening to all the birds while I sit on the deck writing this. I've been working on a life list of birds while we had rainy days. Quite the task gleaning info from digital photo files and various books. It is an ongoing project, but at least some of it is in a file on the computer now. Enjoy the day and all it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Jon and best of luck in college! Delightful day book thoughts and photos…love the dolls…and that little cottage. I try to write ✍️ a note to someone each day…nice to get mail that’s not a bill or ads and Im fortunate to have the time! Happy day to you and yours. xo,V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHHH! The photo of Cinnamon! This is the all-time best photo of a cat that I've ever seen. This should be on the cover of a magazine! Marie, you are so talented and I think it is in a big way. You may not realize how big your talent is, and this photo is a witness to that. Maybe the things you left behind were meant to be, so that now you can embrace the huge talents you have that you may not fully recognize yet. Wow! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how funny, Marie...that book about donkeys...and I just got to blogs now today and earlier I sent on that funny video about a donkey!! Love it!! Glad you are able to see your grandsons some...and that 1 already is going off to college soon!! They grow up so very fast. We too, due to circumstances and the awful covid debacle, missed seeing our 5 grandkids here for 4 years. That is nearly an eternity in a kid's life!! And now though we live only 5 minutes drive from these 5, rarely see them. I have only seen 1 of them once since the end of December. But I do understand. I am sure they never understood why we could not make the trip during those 4 years. But life does not always let us have choices. But like you, at times I miss where I used to live at some point in my life...but we are where we are supposed to be it seems...take care!! Like you, I also miss the foods of other places (we used to live in Hawaii...oh my the food!! And when we visited Israel, the food there was even better, tho' it may hardly seem possible!!)
    Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!