Monday 12 September 2022

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 
  


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best. 


 


By and large people are being very respectful in the face of the loss of Queen Elizabeth.   There are a few malcontents, but it is easy to drown out their voices. There is a proper space and time to voice your position, but this is not the space nor the time.

By and large their voices are being drowned out by a much larger voice of respect and love for our late sovereign. And respect for the new King.  Remember, it costs nothing to be kind. We can have opinions but we must never be cruel or unkind when expressing them.  

I wish the press, etc. would leave Harry and Meghan alone. The criticism is relentless. I hate it.


 
(source



I didn't get to see the Harvest Moon except from my bedroom window when it was well up in the sky. I did look out the back door as soon as the sun had set, but my home is not in the right position to see such things I guess.  I was already in my pajamas so I could not really go wandering about. 

I bought this journaling page from a seller on Etsy. All about the harvest moon.  She has a lot of other really nice things for journaling as well. She is a very talented artist. 



  
(autumn at Hever Castle)
 

Hever Castle was one of my favorite places to visit when I lived in the South East of England. That and Chartwell House (Churchill's residence) as well as Batemans (Rudyard Kipling's). I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to visit these historic residences and see where these inspirational people had lived.  I am a history buff, although I did not enjoy it much when I was at school.  I cannot recite dates and things like that, except for 1066 (Battle of Hastings) and 1492 (Christopher Columbus).  I remember those only because there are poems, etc. attached.  I do love history however and I love to watch television programs, documentary or otherwise, with a historical nature.  I believe that a past forgotten is often repeated and there are many things we do not want repeated and we would do well to remember them.   I do not believe erasing the past brings closure or changes anything. How much better we are served by remembering and then doing our best to bring about change.


 

We I do not hear much about the conflict in the Ukraine at present.  At least I have not.  I don't watch the news on television. Life, for me, is better that way.  My prayers and thoughts are very much with them daily however. They have not been forgotten by me. 


 

I love all of the pumpkins and butternut squashes showing up at the farm markets.  They make such a color filled and beautiful display. There is a farm market further up the valley past Aylesford (Pierces) that has a brilliant variety for sale.  I love that farm market. Of all the farm markets, it is my favorite one. It is not open year round, unfortunately. I have never gotten anything bad from there. It is clear they take great pride in what they choose to sell. More people should.


 

Are you gathering in your reading materials and woolies for the coming months?  There is something really special about being able to curl up with a good book and a blanket on a cool day.  With the fireplace going. I don't have a real fireplace, but I have an electric one. I don't need to have the heat turned on, I only need to have the flames flickering and it is enough to make me feel warm.  Some nice music playing in the background, something good, a classic perhaps, to read and I am a happy camper. 



I have been cataloguing the changing colors of the leaves in the tree tops across the way from my place. This morning I have seen the most change yet. My maple tree in the back has been changing for quite a few weeks now, but it is one of the first trees to come into leaf in the Spring. 


 

My visitors I had this past week from Alberta.  All those first months after my return to Canada and the transition I had to go through, Elder and Sister Stonehawker were faithful in staying in touch with me weekly.  We had weekly meetings on zoom and they were a great spiritual support to me.  I was really pleased to finally be able to meet them in person.

I was also very grateful for the Priesthood blessing which I received last week from two worthy Priesthood holders in my branch. It has been a source of great comfort for me.


 

I love my little home.  I decided when I got a home that I was going to fill it only with things which I needed, which brought me joy and which had deep meaning. I have tried to keep true to that promise I made for myself. Daily I surround myself with good music. All around me I see things that I love and just being here brings me joy and a sense of peace. There are far worse places to spend the winter days of your life.

 

There is so much to look forward to in the coming weeks.  Thanksgiving and the possibility that my oldest son and his family will be able to come over.  The last time their visit was thwarted by Covid. Hopefully this time will be better.  Then there is the fall General Conference of my church. I always love General Conference and I am looking forward to hearing the talks and what is shared with us in this next one. 

I was to my sister's twice for dinner at the weekend. I am so grateful for her love and generosity and for BBQ's burger and meatloaf dinners!

I left church early yesterday, right after Sacrament meeting as I was feeling quite unwell.  Very tired and a bit dizzy, etc.  nauseated. I hate these new tablets I am on. It is only 1/2 one once a day, but they keep me up all night, no matter how early I take them and are causing me a lot of acid reflux.  I am grateful for modern medicines, but not this one. I have not felt well for a week now since I started taking it.  It could be the tablet, but maybe it could be something else? I don't know. We will see.

Right now I could go back to bed and I slept in until 6:30 this morning. I feel so tired. I may do just that.  And with that I will leave you with a thought for the day . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *Don't let making a living
prevent you from living a life.
~John Wooden  •。★★ 。* 。



In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Roasted Onion Potatoes.  Delicious!  I love them!


I hope your week ahead is filled with a multitude of small and wonderful things. May your cup truly runneth over with blessings.  Don't forget along the way! 


═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too! 
 




15 comments:

  1. We love to watch Escape to the Country and they just did a bit about Chatsworth House. I believe it was Chartwell House where Churchill lived. Mention to the doctor how the pills are making you feel, there should be other alternatives. We are having a drippy rainy day today. Enjoy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right of course Linda, it was Chartwell. I have never been to Chatsworth. (although it was on my bucket list) Thank you! I am going back to the Doctor on the 5th of October so I will mention it then. Thank you! xoxo

      Delete
    2. Easy to mix up. Document everything for when you go to the doctor.

      Delete
    3. That's a long time to wait for your doctor's appointment especially if you're feeling ill. Perhaps your pharmacist could help? Hope you feel better soon. Love and hugs, Elaine

      Delete
    4. I will Linda. Thanks Elaine. I am feeling a bit better today. Its a fluid pill and keeps me hopping to the bathroom! I also am not sleeping through the night because of it which makes me tired! Today I am not feeling nauseated though which is good! Love and hugs. xoxo

      Delete
  2. I agree with Linda.. tell the doctor...however some medications need time to work..depends what it is and what its for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a fluid pill to help bring down my blood pressure. As a diabetic my blood pressure is supposed to be below a certain point and it is just a touch above. I think I need to just stick with it! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Be sure to contact doctor soon about those pills...you should not be feeling worse...meds are not easy to take, but this is impacting your life so much!! Both my hubby and I had to go off the pills we had taken for years without trouble as it began giving us serious
    diarrhea...we have to rely now on just the insulin. I suspect that they began putting something else in the pills that we could not take.
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never adjust well to new meds Elizabeth. Thankfully I am a lucky person who has never had diarrhea from Medformin! I know many people do get it! Sometimes they change the brand as well, which can be dicey! xoxo

      Delete
  4. I, too, wish the press and social media would leave Harry and Meghan alone. I don't trust the press one iota and so I don't watch the news either. People just don't have scruples anymore. It's disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Latane! It is disturbing. People have no filters anymore. It is one thing to think something, but to give voice to your thoughts is cruel in many cases! I think social media is the worst. People are just so mean. I feel sorry for them! xoxo

      Delete
  5. I hope you can make a call to your doctors office and report how you’re feeling…maybe an adjustment can be prescribed over the phone. ?? Rest and take care…that’s your job for this week. xo,V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much V! I will bear that in mind! xoxo

      Delete
  6. I agree with you about Harry and Megan- it's not just the press. Some of the English blogs I read are quite nasty about her, blaming her for everything Harry now does. You have to wonder...
    I just wish they could have a peaceful reconciliation as their mother and grandmother would wish.
    And please, don't wait until that date in October to let your doctor know about the meds. Much too long to feel so bad.
    Best wishes, hope you feel better very soon.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people just find it so easy to hide behind a computer screen and say whatever they want to or about people. Its very cruel. I have had things said about and to me as well, especially when I was going through that bad patch last year. People can be very cruel. It should be policed better. Thank you very much for your well wishes! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!