Monday 8 February 2021

Hope . . .


Hope is the thing with feathers
that perches in the soul,
and sings the tunes
without the words
and never stops
at all.
~emily dickenson 

At the beginning of the year I always like to choose a word for the year and this year I chose the word "hope" because I thought if there was ever a need for "hope" in the world, this was the year we needed it more than ever. 

From Wikipedia:

"Hope is an optimistic state of mind that is based on an expectation of positive outcomes with respect to events and circumstances in one's life or the world at large. As a verb, its definitions include: "expect with confidence" and "to cherish a desire with anticipation.""


HOPE 
noun:
1. the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best:
to give up hope. 

2. a particular instance of this feeling:
the hope of winning.

verb: (used with object) hoped, hoping
1. to look forward with desire or reasonable confidence.
 
2. to believe, desire, or trust:
I hope that my work will be satisfactory. 

verb: (used without object) hoped, hoping
1. to feel that something desired may happen:
We hope for an early spring.

archaic: to place trust, rely (usually followed by in)

And so this year so far for me has been one filled with dreams and with hope.  This is the year that I am daring to dream and hoping those dreams come to fruition.  Where would any of us be without hope???  I dread to think. 


Hope is a part of everyone's life. Hope is the thing which enables us to get out of bed in the morning. Whether we think about it or not, everyone hopes for something.  Its a part of our human existance. Hope helps us to define what is in our futures, or what we want to be in our futures. It is a part of the story we each have running though our minds at any given time. 

Merriam-Webster’s definition makes “hope” seem close to “wish”: “to cherish a desire with anticipation: to want something to happen or be true.” 

It is looking on the bright side, seeing challenges as opportunities, hoping for the best despite the worst. Its grabbing the bull by both horns and riding it out because . . .  although you know its going to be a rough ride, you do believe will get there in the end. 

Hope is the power which got me onto that airplane in November.  Hope that I would be safe and that I wouldn't get lost and that a better life than the one I was leaving was waiting me at the other end of the  journey.  Hope that I wouldn't get sick along the way, that all would be well.

Hope is the power that gave me the courage to put in a bid for a house. Hope that I somehow would be able to manage to pay for it. (Now all I need is for the mortgage people to display a little hope and faith in me!) 

Hope brings me to my knees on a regular basis and keeps me looking up daily. 

Hope helps link our past and our present to our future.  


Hope and faith are inextricably linked, and hope gives us strength. It empowers us. It is motivating and enabling. Hope springs eternal.

Hope can not only make a difficult present more bearable, but also gives us the impetus to keep moving foward because of a hope and  belief in a brighter future. Without hope we wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the morning . . . . I wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the morning. 
 
Faith is a divine sustainable power which brings about believing in what is not yet seen or felt, but hope is a sustainable power which makes use of our optimism and prospects.  

Faith and hope are two parts of a three legged stool, whose third leg is charity or love. 

And so this year I have been channeling hope, each and every day.  Hope that the pandemic will be brought under control and that we all may soon be able to meet again with our families and friends.  Hope that the coming  months will bring health and success to all of us. Hope that I am on the cusp of shaping a new and happier life for myself.  Hope that only good things are to come.
 
From all that I have read about her Emily Dickenson was a recluse, given to bouts of melancholy and depression, and yet  . . .  she penned those words at the top of this post (amidst many others) which have given countless souls pause for reflection and  . . .  yes . . .  hope. 

And so today I hope, while the snow still swirls and twirls outside the windows of this house and with that hope I believe and I trust.

Happy day all!

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.How wonderful it is that
nobody need wait a single
moment before
starting to improve the world.
~Anne Frank •。★★ 。* 。 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Rocky Road Brownies.  Delicious!

I hope your week ahead is filled with hope and the joy that it brings! Stay happy and stay healthy! Don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!! 
  

 


 


6 comments:

  1. Have a great day..I love Hope..without it..what is there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you don't get too much snow, hope the day goes well, hope is a fantastic word, hope is everything

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope is such an encouraging word. If you lose hope, you lose everything, I think. We must never give up hope. Stay warm and cozy. Hugs and love, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope, hope, hope ! Have a happy day! V

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie~

    I love your word for the year...hope is something we all could use right now. I love all the definitions of hope. I also love that you are daring to dream, what a great feeling! You have had a rough year, so a new year filled with hope, is just what you need! Love you tons XOXOXO

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope is the perfect word for this year for you. I loved every word that you wrote. You explained hope perfectly. I enjoyed how you brought in faith, hope and charity. I liked the thought of the three legged stool representing those awesome words.
    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!