Monday 21 January 2019

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 
 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.   

 
 
 
Of course the main blessing over this past week and by no means small was Mom getting through her operation.   My mother is such an amazing person.  Through the years she has had to face and conquer some pretty major demons . . .  she is a two times cancer survivor, heart attack survivor . . .  a defender of the downtrodden in most situations, standing up always for what she perceives as right, no matter the consequences.  She is tremendously courageous and I believe that if there were dragons to slay, she would have been a dragon slayer. She is the most loyal person I know, loyal to her loved ones, her friends, her workmates and even an ex-husband. She means the world to me.  I am so grateful that she got through her operation, but the battle continues, and prayers for her recovery are still very much needed. If she doesn't become more proactive in her recovery we fear she may become bed-ridden and may not ever be allowed to come home.  Please pray for her to be able to summon up the strength and her inner feistiness, and the courage from somewhere to get out of bed and to fight for her own independance, and not to give up.  ♥  I missed being able to talk to her this week.  Instead I took the time to read a few of her letters she has written to me over the years.  I am so happy I saved them all.
 
 
 
Our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints under-went a huge change with the start of the new year, 2019. Instead of having a 3 hour block of meetings each Sunday, they have gone down to only 2 hours, with us only having Sunday School lessons twice a month and Relief Society/Priesthood lessons twice a month, the two alternating each week.  So what do we do with the extra hour? Its up to us. We can use it simply as an extra hour to watch television, or to read . . .  or we can use it for an extra hour to serve others doing ministering in some capacity.  We can use it as an extra hour to spend in personal or family study of the scriptures.  The important thing is that we use it  . . . and for something which is worthwhile and which will help us to become better, to draw closer to the Saviour, to become more like Him.  That is the challenge.  An extra hour each week for each of us.  My prayer is that we never waste it.  
 
 
 
Good friends.  The two "T's"  Tina and Tony.  We love spending time with them.  I love that they feel so comfortable with us that they can just drop in from time to time.  They are wonderful people and such good friends.  They are coming for lunch today and I am looking forward to spending time with them!  

 
  
 
I was thinking yesterday about the time my father took me to the Circus.  It was when we were living in Gimli, Manitoba and I must have been maybe 5 or 6 years old, no older.  I remember getting a box of pink popcorn and a small plastic fan that was also pink.  I don't remember much else about it.  Just the popcorn and the fan.  I guess they were the highlights! 
 
 
 
Sunday evenings with Call the Midwife.  We love this show and have been huge fans since the beginning of it.  It never gets old.  We love the music. We love the characters.  We love the tenderness and the heart of the show.  Each episode never fails to touch my spirit a special way.   Its just plain good television. 
 
 
 
I finished Doug's blanket.  Now I just have to send it over to him.  Thankfully its not too heavy so it shouldn't cost too much.  I hope that he likes it!!  I hope that when he uses it he can feel all of the love and hugs stitched into it!  
 


The kindness of others.  You know who you are.  Just the thought of these offerings blesses my heart. 



Unexpected flowers and chocolates  . . .  they surely came at the right time and brightened my day to no end.
 
And I am running out of time this morning  . . . but to be sure my week was filled with a bazillion small and tender mercies.  Visits from my RS president just because she was in the area, sweet e-mails from friends, all of your comments, your prayers for my mother, etc.  I am blessed.
 
A thought to carry with you . . . 
 
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
Nothing will work
unless you do.
~Maya Angelou •。★★ 。* 。 
 

Oven Baked Turkey-wiches 
 
In the English Kitchen today  . . .  Oven Baked Turkey-wiches.  Deliciously simple! 
 

I hope your week ahead is filled with small and wonderful things.  Don't forget along the way,
 
 
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too!

 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Marie, still praying for your Mum. After everything she's been through over the years I'm not suprised that she's taking a long time to get motivated and out of bed. I'd be the same. Hopefully she will soon get some of her mojo back and start to improve.

    I love Call the Midwife too, Sunday nights aren't the same when it's not on!

    Your blanket is amazing, you're so talented, I'm sure Doug will love it and know the love that's gone into it.

    Flowers and chocolates, my favourite combination! I love suprises like that!

    My sister was given her Alzheimer's diagnosis last week but still needs to go for an MRI scan. The doctor has put her on medication to slow the progress down but I fear it is too little too late. It has been a difficult few days contacting family who were unaware. (Richard wanted as few as possible people to know). Anyways, we are having a family get together on Wednesday to discuss a plan forward and what help he needs. Up to now he's buried his head in the sand and refused any offer of help. We're hoping that a week after the official diagnosis that he may be starting to come to terms with things.

    Enjoy your day with Tina and Tony! Lot's of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray always for your sister and family Kate. Its not an easy diagnosis to come to terms with. Have you read the book or seen the film, I am Still Alice? Very well done. Love and hugs. xoxo

      Delete
  2. ((BIG HUGS)) my friend... prayers still flying your Mom's way, and to you too! :))) Your blanket for Doug is BEAUTIFUL--great way the colors! Has Call the Midwife begun??!! I hope we'll get to see it here soon--LOVE that programme too! :) Happy Week... LOVE YOU both there SOOO MUCH ((LOVE & BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is about halfway through the series now Tracy. Its such a well done show. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  3. Continued progress for your mama Marie!
    Love the Doug blanket we have been stitching at the same time..
    Enjoy your day and lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of us stitching at the same time Monique. xoxo

      Delete
  4. This post is full of delightful things, and I am praying that your mom gets her zest back and fully recovers so she can move home. I just discovered Call the Midwife a month ago, what a great show. Interesting to get an extra hour a week and to plan how to spend it, helping others, in prayer, there are so many options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fabulous show Terra. The extra hour a week will disappear into nothingness unless we make a conscientious effort to replace it with something worthy for sure. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hi Marie, I had kidney cancer and the most terrible anxiety PTSD I was given a beautiful prayer blanket prayerfully crocheted by kind ladies of our church .... it was so unexpected and I was SO delighted I cried and it means the world to me..Doug will love it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a lovely gift Debs. I know Doug will love this blanket too, the thought cheers my heart. xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!