Monday 14 January 2019

Small and Wonderful Things . . .


 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best. 


All of the support, love, prayers, happy thoughts and care that I can feel from all of you at this time. It really does mean the world to me and I want you to know I can feel it, I am grateful for it.  I am so thankful for this wonderful blogging community that feels like family to me.  It might sound strange, but you have been with me through all the bumps and challenges of these last 15 years or so, in one way or another and I do appreciate.  The good has always far outweighed the bad.  You've stuck with me through thick and thin. Thank you.  



That my lesson for this month is over again for another month.  I am not comfortable with teaching.  It takes me waaaaaay out of my comfort zone. Hopefully with time I will feel more at ease when I am doing it. My lesson for yesterday went well I think.  I had lots of positive feedback and a lot of participation in class.  It was based on this talk by Elder Ronald A Rasband entitled Be Not Troubled. It is a fabulous talk that gives us encouragement and inspiration on how to find Peace and Encouragement in these tumultuous times we are living in.  


  

Its been a difficult week and its not over yet, with more difficulties and challenges to come. I am so thankful for my faith, which is my constant and which helps to buoy me up when I feel down and to sustain me when I feel empty.  I am not perfect.  I am far from it.  Sometimes I have the strength of a Lion, but sometimes I just want to crawl into someone's lap and hear, "There, there."  My faith helps me to do just that.  I am so grateful for the spiritual and life sustaining power of the Gospel in my life. I don't know where I would be without it.  



There were some really wonderful talks in Sacrament Meeting yesterday which led beautifully into my lesson. I was so grateful for them.  In listening to them, I came to realise that our trials are often preparation for greater things, and that oftimes when we are going through them we will realise that our Heavenly Father has been preparing us to meet them, in the months preceding them.  If we listen to the promptings of our hearts and follow them, and do the things we are always asked to do.  Small and simple things, such as daily prayer, reading our scriptures, standing on Holy ground, keeping to the Covenant path . . . . our journey may not be easier, but we will be better prepared to cope with the storms of life and use them as building blocks amd strengthening tools.   Life is not easy for anyone.  Even the richest, most beautiful people have trials they will need to endure.  Having the right tools to endure them makes a huge difference. 



Sunday talks with mom.  We had a lovely talk yesterday and she was mustly lucid through it.  There were only a few awkward moments when I didn't know what she was meaning.  I was mostly able to fill in the blanks and keep the conversation flowing.  I love my mother so much.  I hate that she is having to go through all that she has gone and is going through. She is the perfect example to me of how to get through life with grace and determination, no matter what it throws at you.  I hope she knows how much she means to me.  I am going to call her again today . . .  just in case.  I am not sure when I will have the chance to speak to her again, or how long she will be in the hospital, recovery times, rehab, etc.  That thought just occured to me now.  I really don't know when I will have the chance to speak to her again.  It could be weeks, or maybe even months, or yes  . . .  maybe never on this side of the veil.  That makes these few minutes all the more precious.  



A heart that is able to seek out the small pockets of joy that embroider each of our days.  Every day may not be a good day, but there is truly something good in each and every day if we have a heart and mind that actively seeks and looks for them.  You will never be able to discover them, if you never pursue them.  They are there just waiting to be revealed.  Attitude is everything. 



By last night Todd was starting to feel a bit more human.  I actually cannot complain about him being ill because he hardly ever is.  Even through his cancer treatments, he was amazingly positive and very easy to care for.  He never asks for anything really.  I am very lucky.  Added blessing, so far so good, I haven't gotten the cold although a few times I felt like I might be.   I was ever so pleased that in any case I did not have it for yesterday when I had a lesson to teach!  I can say bring it on now, and not have to worry about anything.  I do have a talk to give at church on the 20th, so if I am going to get the dreaded cold, I say lets have it now and done with. 


  

This made me laugh when I saw it.  Sadly however, my pound cake is an extra rich double pound cake, lol.  


This also made me laugh . . .  been there, done that and have walked around with specks of glitter on my face for days, that I just couldn't get rid of. 

  

That just reminded me  . . . the other day I knocked my case of beads and sequins onto the carpet . . . you can imagine the mess.  My dear sweet husband helped me to pick them all up and then he hoovered the ones we couldn't seem to get.  He's a keeper for sure.

And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day . . .  

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
A boss has the title.
A leader has the people.
~Simon Sinck  •。★★ 。* 。 



Dauphinoise Potatoes 

In the kitchen today  . . .  Dauphinoise Potatoes.  Simple and delicious. 


I hope your week ahead is filled with small and wonderful things.  Don't forget along the way,
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!






6 comments:

  1. Now I want to organize my extra beads:) Thinking of you and your mom...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! I sat at the table yesterday afternoon and organised all of my beads. It was the type of mindless activity that helps. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  2. Tis hard to keep ourselves from falling into the pit of dispair...we are struggling here too. From all I have researched online plus what my daughter has learned, chances are not good for being able to protect our grandchildren from their pedophile dad. We are nearly at the end of his supervised visits. It is hard to rest, think, etc for our worry. As Karen Carpenter sang, "bless the beasts and the children, for in this world they have no choice, they have no voice"...but we and others are still praying...despertly so. I know you are in your family situation too. As my mother used to say, "Well, tis time to tie a knot in the end of the rope and hang on!!" Guess soo...hugs, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry for that Elizabeth, that you are going through such a thing. Praying. I am so grateful for my faith. It sustains me. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Marie~

    Oh dear, Marie, my heart just hurts for you, I wish I could be there to hold your hand. I know that you are a strong woman, but sometimes it would just be so nice to have someone pick you up and tell you that it will all be alright. And, it will be alright, this too shall pass. I love what, Elder Rasband said in one of his talks..."You will be protected by angels through the storm". I know that you have many, many angels watching over you, holding you and helping you, so does your sweet mom and sister, all will be well. You are in my prayers, always. I will be checking back tomorrow. XOXOXOX

    Tight Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE can feel all of your prayers Barb. Love that quote from Elder Rasband. Love YOU! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!