Wednesday 2 January 2019

Calendars . . .



I was sitting here yesterday trying to think about all the high spots of my 2018.  I think it's rather nice to sit at the end of the year, and reflect on all the goodness which you've experienced in the past twelve months.   Sometimes we can get mired in the pain of the here and the now . . . and we can forget that it's not all been bad.  "Now" is what we are living and pretty hard to ignore.  Life is a mixture of the bad and the good . . . and I like to think that at the end of life when all is weighed out on scales of balance . . . the good will far outweigh the bad.  I'm pretty sure I am right about that.

It's pretty easy to have faith when things are still . . . and good . . . and all is well.  The challenge comes when you hit the wall and things start to crumble around you . . . it is at those times you pray that you have enough faith to see you through.  Thankfully, I've always been the kind of person that no matter how hard life knocks me (and there have been quite a few knocks) I have had enough faith to see me through the rough times.  Perhaps the biggest trial of my faith is yet to come . . . we shall see.  I hope not.




I am not one for making many resolutions at the beginning of a year.   I mostly just resolve to try to build a better me in the coming months . . . and I hope that each year I have done so.  At least that is what I have worked towards and I like to think that at the end of each year I have done just that.  It may only really be in small ways . . . but that is progress nonetheless, and . . . as I frequently remind myself . . . Rome was NOT built in a day!

Each year I resolve to be more patient, less selfish, cherish my friends more and, in my own small way, help whoever needs help.  I know that there is no way I can conceivably influence the destiny of the world, but I can make my own life more worthwhile.   I can give help to some people and while that may not go very far towards solving the world's problems . . . it still makes a difference.  When you stop to think about it, if everyone in the world did the same that would be one major problem solved!  I think we'll have to wait for the millennium reign of the Saviour for that to happen.






I love those first few days of January when I take down the old Calendars and put up the new ones.  As I do, I glance through the old ones . . . noticing days and appointments marked and fulfilled . . . it seems that the past year has gone by in a flash . . . a multitude of small and simple moments, some happy . . . some sad . . . some scary . . . all pretty wonderful in a mixture of ways.  Whatever they were . . . they are now what Emily Dickinson would call . . . "an amethyst of remembrance."  Some moments would be better forgotten, but there is much to remember and to treasure.

As I open the new Calendars to January, I am reminded that soon lilacs will bloom (only about four pages down the road) and the roses and hydrangea ( a page or two after that) . . . but first the Camellia, only about three pages in . . . and indeed if I look out the front door even now I can see the tell tale waxen buds which are forming and getting larger.  In between the bloom of bush and flower and season, there will be much to celebrate, perhaps some things to mourn . . . much to learn and a multitude of ways to grow and more forward.





Just as an old calendar represents a year of our lives spent in whichever ways it has been spent . . . 365 memories . . . a new calendar represents a year of promise . . . and 365 miracles and blessings yet to come, and as I have that thought I am struck with the thought of what will be my resolution for this year, 2019.  Each day I resolve to find one small blessing to share . . . a silver lining of what each day was, a tiny miracle to be picked from what will be 365 days of my life and so here is my first one for yesterday . . .



Silver Lining for January 1st, 2018 - 

I started off the day feeling not so well.  A bit queasy even, but thankfully it passed.  Our tree didn't get taken down though because of it.  Perhaps today.  I had a lovely conversation with my mom on the telephone.  She was pretty chipper, despite having been quite sad on New Years Eve.  She is in a lot of pain with her feet.  It is not good.  So we were able to spend an hour laughing about things and just chatting.  She does struggle to find her words, but that's okay . . . sometimes so do I.  It was a good hour however and I felt blessed at the end of it.  Then later in the day my middle son facetimed me and we talked for another hour and with each of the grandsons also.  They were in the middle of taking down Christmas.  He wanted my cornbread recipe. He had made one he found online and it was ugh, ugh, ugh.  I told him, "Always go to mama first!"  I sent him my mil's recipe.  I also got Happy New Year wishes from  my oldest son.  All, in all  . . .  a very good start to the year.

A thought to carry with you  . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
"Resolve to be tender with the young, 
 compassionate with the aged, 
 sympathetic with the striving, 
and tolerant of the weak and the wrong.  
 Sometime in life you 
will have been all of these."
~Lloyd Shearer   •。★★ 。* 。 



Scottish Oat Cakes 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Scottish Oat Cakes.  Oh my bliss.  These are gorgeously moreish.  A bit of sweet, a bit of savoury, nutty oaty and perfect with cheese.  Betcha can't eat just one!  (Or is that just me?)

Have a wonderful Wednesday!  Todd has a Dr appointment this morning and then he is on his way into town to pay the rent.  We may have to wait until tomorrow to take down the tree.  I don't mind one little bit.  I'll enjoy it for a day longer!  Don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   





4 comments:

  1. Keeping ours up till the day after Epiphany..or thereabouts.
    No bought calendars for me except a Sutterfly bought one w/ family pics.It was redundant to have others.Although I'll miss tearing off a page every day..or looking at the beautiful artwork of others..I really don't need them.
    I did order a new artbook instead.Read a wonderful blog post from a friend..she sent it to me..I think I would have a hard time with parts of it:)
    Some brick walls rae harder than others.
    Sad to say but many can't get through tem or wait till it crumbles of old age.
    Your optimism and unwavering faith are so lovely!!Porr mama and her feet:(You shouldn't have to live older in pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I caved this year and bought both an SB and a ME desk one. Ohh, your artbook. I love artbooks. This year I hope to use mine more! Mom was crying on NYE I guess, saying that she wished she would die quicker. That breaks my heart. Chronic pain is hard to deal with and when you are also deling with dementia, its even worse. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. 😢😢😢 My heart is breaking for all 3 of you! Love you!xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. In all honesty dementia has been stealing our mom for us a little piece at a time over the past several years. It seems to be accelerating now however and then the pain with her feet and constant infections is very hard for her to cope with. As you know children feel pain much more acutely and have a harder time dealing with it and she is basically quite child-like now. One of her toes has an infection/abcess that goes right down to the bone. Its distressing for all of us. xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!