Monday 7 January 2019

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 
 
 
"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.  
 

 
The days are getting longer.  With each day that passes daylight is increasing. By the end of January our hours of daylight will have increased by about an hour and a half! 
 
 
  
 
They're not quite in bloom yet, but I see the spikes  . . .  snowflowers.  Tinkling white bells which foretell the advent of Spring  . . . they are a reassuring sign that Winter is moving on. Poking fresh and green through the cold dark earth, they will soon produce their white bell shaped flowers,  I swear that in the winter breeze I can hear their icy tinkles   . . .  Symbols of purity, optimism and hope. 
 
 
 
Taking down the Christmas Decorations, which includes the cards.  The house looks fresher and somewhat empty . . .  but I get to revisit each card and think special thoughts about the sender.  That is the silver lining for me, as I hate to see Christmas being packed away for another year . . . 
 
 
  
 
Getting to try new things.  Late on Saturday this big box was delivered.  It is filled with all of my meals for the six days I will be trying out this Dietbon eating plan.  Its a new Diet program which is coming over to the UK from France.  Everything looks pretty good.  There are six breakfasts, six lunches, six dinners, some snacks and herbal teas. I have to go to the shops today to buy salad stuff, sugar free yogurts and some fruit and veg, but pretty much everything else is here.  I could never afford to subscribe to one of these plans, but have always wanted to try one.  Wish me luck! 


 
The new Come Follow Me Curriculum which has been introduced to our church for 2019.  It is a different way of doing things than we are used to, but I think it will be good.  Its exciting and new.  A move towards spiritual self-reliance as individuals and families. I am not a real lover of change, but if there is one thing life has taught me about change, its that if you flow with it, change comes with its own rewards.  Also nothing worth having ever came easy  . . . 
 

 
The opportunity we had this past week to watch the BBC Series on Great Rivers of the world.  There were three episodes in which they explored the Amazon, the Nile and the mighty Mississippi.  I learned so much about these magnificent water-ways and we got to see some pretty amazing animals, fish, flora and fauna, etc. The BBC does programs like this so wonderfully well.  it was on BBC2 if you want to find it on Catch Up TV.  On a side note, I love that Todd and I enjoy programs like this together.  Our musutal love of history and geography and nature are some of the great things we have in common! 
 
 
I follow an instagram account called Remembering the Old Ways.  Its just lovely. It done by a gal named Michelle Palmer and in it she chronicles her love of the home arts and all things vintage from the 30's and 40's.  She always does these special tea suppers too.  It is a wonderful, safe and beautiful glimpse into the past mingled with the present.  I just love it. They live in a thatched cottage.  

 
 
Facetimes with my middle son and his family.  I just love them.  He called me from his truck on Saturday where he was driving my three grandsons and a friend around their village for a Bottle Drive for the Cubs.  Well, he wasn't driving per se when he called, but parked up while they were knocking on doors.  I got to see them in action.  It was really nice!  He is a thoughtful son, a good father and husband.  He has the Simpson nose, which is what my mother always called it.  It comes down from the Simpson line of the family.  My Great Grandmother on my mother's father's side was a Simpson.  My mother and her youngest sister had the nose, and my brother has the nose and some of my cousins too.  Its a very generational thing. 
 
 

Speaking of my brother.  He posted this photo on Facebook the other day with the Caption, "Freezing rain, its not just a warning!"  He always makes me smile.  He has a very dry sense of humor.  I get it.



Family . . .  at the end of the day, its everything and the most important gift we have been given here on earth.  It is who we are and where we come from . . .  has the capacity to bring us the greatest joys and the deepest sorrows . . . . both the ones we create for ourselves  . . .  




And the ones we are born into and grow up with . . .  


  

Mother's and fathers  . . .  sisters and brothers  . . . children  


Lovers and friends  . . .  family IS everything . . . 


A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
If you have a garden 
and a library,
you have everything you need.
~Cicero •。★★ 。* 。
 
 
Turkey Chili 
 
In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Turkey Chili.  Lipsmackingly delicious and pretty healthy as well!

I hope your week ahead is filled with small and wonderful things.  Don't forget along the way,

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!

 

 


8 comments:

  1. Hi Marie, lovely photos of your family, and yes, family is everything. Talking of which, I hope your Mum had a comfortable weekend.

    Ah yes, the days are getting longer and spring is on its way, YAAY!

    I spent the weekend taking the decs down and giving the flat a spring clean, although I know I'll still be finding glitter in July!

    Have a great week, lot's of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was in a lot of pain this weekend Kate. When I spoke to her yesterday the VON had been and she was very disoriented. My sister said when she got up she thought she had somehow slept the whole day and it as night time. Conversation was quite difficult really as she was just not finding her words very well at all. I know pain is very distracting. Its heart breaking. Love and hugs to you also! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Have fun w/ your new products.I hope they work..Very cute family pics..I follow that feed too..her girls:) They really do recreate the old days well.
    I have faves all over IG..Many because of the Littles:)And some because the moms are hysterical:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like you Monique! I hate phony feeds, but the ones I follow seem real and nice. Have a great Monday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saw this tonight Marie...and thought of your mom...wondered if there is any way this could help her??
    https://www.innovitaresearch.com/2019/01/07/bio-inspired-material-interacts-with-surrounding-tissue-to-promote-healing/ Wishing all the best for all of you!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. I'm not sure, but I will share it with my sister to see what she thinks. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hi Marie~

    I can feel the days getting longer as well...I wish I felt the temp getting warmer! Today the wind was blowing 35-40 MPH, so lots of blowing and drifting snow. I had a Dr. appointment this morning, but cancelled due to bad weather. I can't wait until it's warmer!

    I'm excited to find out your thoughts on the new food/diet product. I often think that I should save my pennies and do something like that, and then that thought quickly goes away... ;0) Good luck to you though!

    I'm excited for the new, Come Follow Me. I know it will be hard, especially for those of us who don't have children at home. Bob and I don't do well at studying together, so this will be a challenge, but one worth taking!

    I've decided that I will do a little, Instagram. It seems to be easier and less negative than FB. I will start following Michelle, it looks lovely! My grandson does so much with Instagram, and he's in college so I don't see him much, it's one way I can connect.

    Your son is very handsome! He reminds me a lot of his mom. I love distinctive noses...I have one! On the, Taylor side of my family, some of us have very large noses...I inherited that nose. It's actually from a grandfather who was from Wales, named Mattson.

    I love your family photos, you have a beautiful family! You can definitely see who belongs to you. You were such a darling little girl, I love the photos with you and your parents. Your mom looks like such a classy lady and your father such a handsome man. That last photo of you and Todd is adorable, you are so pretty! I am keeping your mom in my prayers, these are hard times for you my dear friend, you are in my thoughts and prayers as well.

    Family is everything! XOXO

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Barb, your prayers are so very much appreciated. I think the hardest part is being so far away. I can't help my sister and I know that there are times when she needs some respite. I can't be with my mom and I so want to be. I fear now I will never see her again on this side of the veil. This is the natural progression of life I know, but that doesn't make it any easier to bear. We are right on the Welsh Border so if you ever come here, you will be in a prime spot for doing family research! Love you! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!