Thursday 17 January 2019

My Favourite Things . . .

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjOOPpfEd5Zsq2tbOc2-UBk6Njak8VrG7e7evggWXGZ2mh-j53ekFS5_iJ7oLR7meELGbGOHT1tpJoMRH-WDForIBx-F86puBU5K_uuGKf1hWiGc5Jko8kG6S71gFooUD3ZEZNrNzAWfJI/s320/alfp_favorite_things.png 
A few of the things in life that make my heart go pitty pat. Maybe they will do the same thing for yours. ♥♥♥    


One of my favourite flavour combinations is the sweet and salty mix.  Think pretzels and chocolate, peanut butter and jam, peanutbutter/jam/bacon! I just adore it!  




Westernized Chinese Food.  I seriously doubt that I would like real Chinese food, but I adore a good North American Chinese Buffet, with the egg rolls, wontons, sweet & sour chicken, honey garlic, wings, beef and broccoli, fried rice, etc.  Its not quite the same over here in the UK.  Every time I go home, I have to treat myself to a Chinese meal if only just once! I doubt these days I would do the all you can eat buffet justice, so I'll have a #9 Combo at House of Cheng.



An old fashioned plate rail cupboard.  When I was married before we built our own house in New Brunswick when we were living there.  It was a beautiful home.  The kitchen was my favourite room and no small wonder as I had designed it myself.  I had one of these plate holders built into my kitchen cupboards right next to the sink.  Oh it was a lovely kitchen  . . .  with glass doors on the top, a built in desk and book case for my cookbooks, a window over the sink with little shelved up and down the sides to hold nicnacs, a larder cupboard . . . it was my pride and joy . . . 


Figurines.  I adore figurines.  I guess its because I love anything doll-like.  When I did ceramics back in the late 70's early 80's I did a lot of figurines.  I have none of that left.  I gave them all away through the years.  My mom has a few of my creations.  



Lavendar . . . I adore the smell of lavendar in a room, in the garden, in a candle, in my undie drawer, sachets, etc.  I wouldn't wear it as perfume, but I do love the smell in all other ways . . . 



  

White picket fences  . . .  when we lived in Ralston, Alberta, we had a white picket fence.  If I had the money I would put one up outside here.  In Heaven I will have a house with green shutters and a white picket fence. 



Cups and saucers, saucers and cups  . . .  love them . . . I need to use mine more often.  Anything tastes better when drunk from a China cup . . .  


  

Miniature worlds  . . .  I find them fascinating. One of my favourite exhibits in the V&A Museum was the miniatures. 



Paper Dolls . . .  if I can ever get my craft room sorted I am going to make myself some more  . . . 


  

Anything with pin tucks  . . .  I adore pin tucks . . . 



Enamel ware   . . . the original non-stick.  My mom has an old, old saucepan that is black enamelware.  She used to make my father's coffee in it every morning.  I can still remember the smell and I am sure that if you were to stick your nose in it now and inhale, you would still be able to smell the faint aroma of a thousand cups of coffee  . . .  


  

Printed glassware  . . .  I have always loved glasses with pictures on them. My mother has some very old ones. She collected them buying products, etc. In the old days they used to sell mustard and stuff in painted glassware that you could collect as drinking glasses, etc.  



Vintage melmac dinner sets.  My mom also has a very old one of these, although not in this pattern, but the brown is similar.  They were used as our good dishes for many years. Hers have a wheatsheaf pattern on them, along with the brown accent dishes.  I remember exactly when she got them.  We had gone into Winnipeg with my father and he had a business meeting.  We were waiting in the car . . .  FOREVER . . .  the man he had the meeting with came out very apologetic and gave my mom the set of dishes as an apology.  That dinner set contains a lifetime of my childhood memories of celebrations etc.   


  

Pressed glass.  I have a bowl exactly like this that I picked up in a charity shop.  The pattern is called Star of David.  You can find a lot of treasures in a Charity shop. 




Lockets . . .  I always wanted one when I was a girl.  I have no idea whose picture I would have put into it back then.  I know whose photo would go in it now.

  
  

Amythest rings  . . .  in Heaven I will have an amythest ring  . . .   I think I just like rings full stop. 


  

Old wool blankets with satin edges . . .  nothing is so warm as an old wool blanket on the bed . . .  



Vintage Bed Jackets  . . .  would love to have one. 


  

Crochet Doilies . . .  I used to crochet a lot of them.  My mom has one of them in her bedroom on her dresser, beneath the pitcher and basin I made for her when I was doing ceramics.  My sister and I did a lot of needlearts.  

And those are my favourite things for this week. What are some of yours?? 



HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD! 

Happy Birthday to my father who is 85 years young today. This photo is from two years ago now.  I hope he got my card in time.  I love my dad and I hope that he has a lovely day.  I will try to call him a bit later on.  Not too early as I don't want to wake him up!   


Mom with my cousin's little boy Sawyer.  This photo is probably 8 years old.

THE LATEST ON MOM  

I will copy and paste from my sister's latest message.  She says it better than I could.

"She is doing great, sitting up, she worked with the physio guy and moved herself to the side of the bed and was able to stand with a walker. She's a trooper! Her spirits are good as well...atm she's not in any pain because of the meds. There will no doubt be moments of feeling sorry for herself (who wouldn't!) but I'm hopeful she will get over them. She was laughing and joking a bit (that could also be because of the meds)"

So things are going great.  Thanks for the ongoing prayers. They are really helping everyone!

A thought to carry with you  . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
A morning prayer and an early search in the scriptures to know what we 
should do for the Lord can
set the course of a day.  We can know
which task, of all those we might choose,
matters most to God, and therefore
to us. ~Henry B Eyring  •。★★ 。* 。 


Little Meatball Soup 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Little Meatball Soup.  Deliciously simple!


Have a beautiful day!  Don't forget!  

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   

6 comments:

  1. Well you are chip off your mom's back.Wow what spirit!
    How great that she is in such admirable form.Kudos to the DR and your sister for being your sister.
    That is wonderful news.
    Love all here.
    I confess to having a plate rail and it's a visual treat and useful.
    I have my mom's blue wool blanket just like that but for some reason it was used as a paint drop cloth and has paint on it:(:(

    The wee figurines..in 1960 I was 6..and we walked to school at a very young age..we oved to the suburbs when I was 10..so I must have been 8-9..because we were in Mtl..when I would buy my mom a figurine such as this one as a gift..one held poodles..they were no more that one dollar.I wish I had them.
    I did ceramics too Marie:)
    HP to your dad..he is being very supportive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is very supportive. Although they have been divorced since I was in my early 30's, my parents are the best of friends and care for each other deeply. They just can't be married to each other. My dad is not the marrying kind. I wish you still had your figurines you bought for your mom also. ((((hugs)))) xoxo

      Delete
  2. Lovely memories of things of our childhoods...thanks. Both my mom and her mom had one of those large glass bowls that were used a lot...never knew the name of them however. I too wish for a bed jacket...but I think I will need to sew it myself if ever, because we simply never see them in these parts. As one gets older, reading in bed is nicer, plus the old shoulders can get rather cold in so doing.
    So glad your mom is doing well!! I am sure your sister being closeby is helping too, no doubt!! And knowing all of you love her so!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think family is pretty much everything, and especially helpful when you are getting elderly Elizabeth! Make yourself a bed jacket! You deserve to be spoiled a bit! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Marie~

    I love most of all, the pictures of your mom and dad! Happy Birthday to your dad, what a handsome man!! And that picture of your mom is just precious, I love the cat! She is such a beautiful lady!

    I'm pretty sure we must be twins...I love everything you do! I used to make lots of doilies, but not so much anymore. I have several wool blankets with satin trim that I treasure. I also have a pressed class candy dish that we got as a wedding gift that I have out all the time. I try to keep it filled it with candy for a sweet treat occasionally. Loved it all Marie!!

    Great new about your mom's progress! She sounds like a tough lady, and she's still in my prayers. XOXOX

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your continued prayers are so much appreciated Barb! She's doing great, but isn't out of the woods just yet! Love you! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!