Monday 29 August 2022

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.



 

Going to church yesterday. I was glad that I had gone afterwards. I was the only one masked, no surprise there, but it is what it is.  I ended up not having to teach as there were no Young Women in attendance. Actually there were not a lot of people there yesterday. Maybe 30?  A lot were missing.  I got to go into Relief Society. My friend Christine was teaching and she taught a beautiful lesson based on Elder Gong's talk from the last conference entitled, "We Each Have a Story."  I really enjoyed the lesson and all of the stories which were shared by the sisters of some of their ancestors, where their names came from, etc. There was a lot of participation.  There was a sister who was visiting from Las Vegas and it turned out I went to school with her older sister, so that was neat.  

I learned that even though I don't always feel like going to church, (for purely superficial reasons), I need to go because I will be blessed for doing so.  I will not always feel like a stranger in the branch.  Eventually I will feel like it is my home too, but that will never happen if I don't go.



Suppers with Cindy and the family. I went over Saturday night for barbequed burgers and dogs, and then yesterday for a lovey roast pork supper.  The best part of course, aside from the food, is spending time with my family.   We talk, we laugh, we eat, we just enjoy being together. Family times are the best of times. I recognize that is not the way for everyone and so I am extra grateful that it is that way for us. We love and respect each other. 



That Little Mac is such a cute kitten, with so much personality. No surprise there!  He comes from a line of cats with great personality!  He is so friendly and always comes to say hello when I arrive and usually stays close by the whole time enticing me to play with him.  He talks a lot too. Just like Nutmeg.  I notice little things he does that are the same as what Nutmeg and Cinnamon do. He has the same markings as Cinnamon but the cheek of Nutmeg.  I think he is a really sweet cat.




I love the way my two get along with each other. They are best friends. The way it should be with siblings. They do get a bit scrappy from time to time when they are playing, but I think that is just because sometimes Nutmeg gets a bit more enthusiastic than Cinnamon wants him to be.  


 


Every Sunday afternoon I listen to Music and the Spoken Word on YouTube. Yesterday the Piano Guys were their guest artists. You can see that here.  It was a beautiful program of music.  I thoroughly enjoyed their performances.  The music was just stunning. They are so talented.  I love to watch this program each week. I find it so uplifting and inspiring and a beautiful way to help me keep my Sabbath day holy.  Music and the Spoken Word is the longest running radio/television show in the world.  This program has been adding to the beauty of the Sabbath day since 1929.  The reruns of it are all on YouTube as well. I often have it playing in the background while I work. It just makes for a beautiful atmosphere in my home. You cannot beat the music of the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square for bringing a lovely spirit into your home.


 

I read the Book of Ruth (from the bible) in bed last night. The story of Ruth has always been one of my favorite books in the bible.  I am starting a 21 day study of it today through She Reads Truth.  I am excited about what I am going to learn from it, new teachings, and new ways to apply them to my life. I think most people are familiar with the book of Ruth. It is a story of faithfulness, loyalty and humility.

"And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God."

This particular verse is used by many people in their wedding vows, etc.




I have experienced a lot of change over the last few years and I feel like God is not finished with changing me just yet. I am being polished and refined in ways I never could have supposed. I am dreading Friday and what comes next. It is only natural.  Its all out of my control anyways. I am learning to give up control and lean into God and His plan for me.  I had thought that all the changes I have already had to make were enough, but apparently there is more that I need to learn, more ways I need to grow. I am just going with the flow and hanging on for dear life as my adventure continues. Flows and ebbs  . . . highs and lows . . . its not what happens to you which counts near as much as how your reaction to what happens and how you choose to use it for the good and betterment of yourself and others.

I was dreaming a dream just before I woke up this morning and I was in a Doctors office with someone, I think my sister and the Doctor said to my sister you can go, but then he turned to me and said I need to keep you here a little bit longer.

I suppose it is preying on my mind, even in my sleep  . . . 



I am trying to be. I don't really have a choice do I.  I know that nothing in life was ever made better by worry or bucking against the flow. 





I am excited to be meeting my friend Ginny tomorrow, of the tea cozy fame. There will be cake.  I am blessed.

And with that I best be off, but not before I leave you with a thought for the day . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *Your inner light shines when you 
are at peace with yourself and 
the world around you.
Let go of the struggle and feel
the beauty inside you. Allow all
to just be and just be you.•。★★ 



In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Milk Bread and a few sneaky slices of Cheese on Toast. 

I hope your week ahead is filled to overflowing with an abundance of small, simple and wonderful things.   Don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too! 
 



11 comments:

  1. Marie, I hadn't remembered that your appointment was fast approaching. Hopefully the news will be good. I'll be praying for you. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What will be will be Elaine. I am grateful for your prayers. Thank you! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  2. Normal to dream and worry...glad you are meeting a friend..fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a lovely diversion for sure! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Glad for your times with kin and friends...you are blessed in that way!! Hoping for the best in whatever comes with the doc visit!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly am Elizabeth. Thank you for your well wishes! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Enjoy the meeting with your friend. Continue to do what makes you feel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes…enjoy the happy friend and family….hugs.V

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marie~ I just love that you are able to be with your family. I know that your sister and your father are such a blessing for you...and you are a blessing for them. It's so hard when parent's grow old and need to give up driving. My mom got lost coming to my house one year at Easter. Luckily, she remembered her phone, and remembered how to use it, and she was close enough that it wasn't hard to find her. She had one of us take her home that day and she never drove again...it was sad. She had also run a red light and was in a bad car accident right before that. She made the right choice. You will be in my prayers, Marie. I hope your dr. visit goes well...and yes, you will make your way through any trial you are given...you have proven that, my dear friend. XOXOXO Hugs and Love, Barb

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!