Saturday 13 August 2022

All Things Nice . . .

 
(source

She doesn't know that life can be
So very grim and hard,
That years can drag with weary feet
Dull as a prison yard.
That dreams can lose their shining shape
And all their brightness fade
And love -- ah love can perish too
In crumbling ruins laid.

She doesn't know -- at seventeen
How swift the years will fly
Life stretches wide before her feet
Fair as a summer sky.
A thousand beckoning hills to climb
A thousand ways to roam
And all the roads of all the world
Leading away from home.

She doesn't know the happiness
The love and joy she seeks
Is deep within her tender heart
That peace and honor speaks
Above the darkest blackest night
In accents loud and clear
And one sweet voice is loud enough
For all the world to hear.

She doesn't know -- at seventeen
How values change and grow,
That Age has peace and happiness
That Youth can never know.
She doesn't know the hills of home
Are fair and fresh and green
She only sees the far-off fields
And heights -- at seventeen.

~Edna Jacques, At Seventeen
Roses in December

 

I have always loved snapdragons.

Reading this poem this morning really resonated with me.  Here I am on my 67th Birthday, only three years away from 70. How did that happen??? How did I ever get so old, but nevertheless here I am and grateful I am for the privilege too, for it is denied to many!  I am grateful for every second and minute of every day, month, and year.   For all of the highs and lows and experiences, both the good and the bad . . .  that have helped to shape me.  I like me.  I really do.

Oh, sure I would love to be thinner and prettier. Who wouldn't?  Even the thinnest most beautiful women in the world want to be those things . . .  but by and large I like me.

I like that I know the things in life which really matter most and that I know how to love unconditionally, how to forgive unconditionally, how to serve and how to care with all of myself. I like that I am not a mean person or unkind.  And that I have discovered the secrets of having a life filled with joy and with meaning.  And I like that I am still growing, becoming, evolving, perfecting  . . . with each day that passes.

I did not know any of these things at 17.  Oh how very much I had to learn! And still have to learn! One of the greatest joys in life is that we can learn something new every day! 




So far today I have opened some very pretty cards from friends both near and far, and I know my sister will have a lovely one for me later and probably my father too.  It is nice to be thought of. I appreciate it very much.  



And I have gotten some lovely gifts.  Thank you all. You know who you are.  I feel so loved.  But most of all the gift of friendship, which is worth much more than its weight in gold and silver. I am so blessed to be thought of so highly.  Thank you.  You do me a great honor. 

I gave myself a couple of gifts this week as well.

 



I have loved quotes and quotations all of my life. Snippets of inspiration and wisdom so months ago when I learned that Susan Branch was writing a book filled with them.  I knew I had to have it, no matter the cost, and so I pre-ordered it and it arrived just a few days ago, just in time for my birthday!  And I am in love with it.  Its filled to overflowing with loads of inspirational words, categorized and decorated with her beautiful little pieces of artwork.  I just love it! 





And last night, as I was sitting here, I gave myself another gift. I sat down and started to sketch a character. Its been a long time since I have felt inspired enough to do one of my little girls.  When mom died a bit of the wind went out of my sails, and then things just kind of escalated from there and you know all that has happened. 

I was really not feeling inspired enough to want to do anything like that.  But last evening I sat down and this sprung from my fingertips. She is far from finished, but she is a start.  I have missed this side of my creativity very much.  The thought that I may be getting some of it back is a huge gift indeed.




And yesterday there was a knock on my door and Sheila was standing there with a small gift for me. It is a small wind chime, with a little fairy on it. My first fairy at Bountiful.  I have hung it over the door as a reminder of how much I am loved. Every time the door opens or closes I will hear a sweet tinkle to remind me that I matter and that I am loved. What better gift!

It was so sweet of her. She lost her wee doggie this week. Chloe. Chloe was very old and blind and deaf, but she was company. I knew Sheila was devastated at her loss.  I printed out the poem Rainbow Bridge for her and took it over and had a wee visit with her the day after she lost Chloe.  Then a bit later on she came over to show me that she had framed it.  That made my heart smile to know that I had made her heart smile. 

 


I find that as I get older I tend to think more and more about the past.  I am sure we are all very similar in that. I think the tendency can be, as we travel back, to flood our minds with memories we would just as soon not recall.  We remember the young seventeen year old who felt awkward or like they didn't fit in. I think even the beauty queens had such moments. Age has taught me that life was not then, nor is ever perfect for anyone. We all have our aches and sorrows to bear.

How much better it would be when we start to recall a wincing, sad episode in our story of life, to switch to something much happier in its place. To remember an accomplishment we are proud of, or a moment which brought us great joy.  Something tender and something sweet.  I believe that life dishes out an even balance of both the sour and the sweet . . . those of us who can dwell more on the weight of the sweet in the balance will be all the happier for doing so.  And when we do remember the sad . . .  remember even that those sad moments are a part of what makes us the beautiful we's that we are.  


 
Nutmeg was enjoying my pressies
right along with me.


Count it all joy. If we find it so easy in our hearts to be kind to others, let us also be kind to ourselves.

I must be about my day!  I have miles to go before sleep as someone famously once said!

A thought to carry with you  . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*How we remember, what we remember,
and why we remember, form the most
personal map of our individuality.
~Christina Baldwin•。★★ 。* 。



You just know I baked myself a Birthday cake for today. Scandinavian Almond Cake

I hope you have a beautiful day today. So far it is looking like its going to be a sunny one here.  Above all be blessed and happy. Don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!       









 

12 comments:

  1. Happy, happy birthday. I'm sure it will be a wonderful day. Ah-h-h 17 when we thought we knew it all, but in fact really didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, didn't we know it all at seventeen! haha xoxo

      Delete
  2. I hope you have a wonderful day, Marie! 🎂🌹💃

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Dear One!!
    Shine on. You are a blessing and encouragement to so many!
    Wishing you Blessings and Love
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY! xoxo, V.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope every part of your birthday celebration is as special as you are to so many of us your readers!! I remember I still felt young at your age!! Ha, did not take me long to get over that notion...so enjoy every single day to the fullest!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Elizabeth! I still feel very young in my mind, its that look in the mirror that's the kicker! haha xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!