Monday 19 November 2018

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.



Because I was teaching in Relief Society yesterday, I hardly slept a wink all Saturday night.  I was exhuasted yesterday. (I hate that I am like that. I was laying in bed crying Saturday night because all I wanted to do was fall asleep, and nothing was helping.) Anyways, I got through the lesson alright, and then was in bed by 8 pm last night and slept solid until 6 am this morning. So grateful for that.  I am so not a natural teacher.  





This scripture has been very much on my mind lately.  Ever since I was a young girl in Sunday School I can remember knowing how important to Heavenly Father Sparrows were, and how if they were important to Him, then I was even more important to Him.  Anyways, this scripture has been playing through my mind often as of late.  Anyways, the other day Pam said that she had a little glass sparrow to help remind her of this and so I have been hunting for a glass sparrow . . .


  

I found one here.  Its not an ornament, which I would have preferred, but it is still a sparrow and I can hang it in my window as a reminder to me of how much I matter to my Father in heaven.  Its my Christmas present this year, and I know it is early, but that doesn't matter very much in the scheme of things.  

And as a bonus, I know what I am going to get my mom for Christmas this year.  It just came to me.  She is of an age now where it is really difficult to get her anything that she will use.  She does love to watch the birds in the garden however and I think I will get her a glass bird to hang in the window by her chair that she sits in. 


Mitzie passed her health check this past week with flying colours.  She does have some weight to lose, but we knew that. We're on it.  So happy to have a healthy happy dog.  The vet thought she was quite charming.  Friendly. Easy going.  A good dog.  Oh, she does add an immeasureable amount of joy to our days!  Her eyes melt my heart. 



Speaking of eyes.  Todd has a date for his Cataract surgery.  He is having it on the 10th December.  Happy that they are doing it so soon.  I bet once it is done, he will realise a huge difference to his sight! Its amazing what they can do today!  so grateful for modern medicine. 



Cream and jam filled donuts.  When I got our groceries the other day I got Todd and I each a cream and jam filled donut.  I know, very naughty, but every now and then I just can't help myself.  It was so good! 


The opportunity I have each week to partake worthily of the Sacrament and remember Him, to renew my covenants, to take His name upon me.  I don't have words adequate enough to express my gratitude for this.  It means the world to me.   I love the Saviour so very, very much.  I think it was when we were on our Mission that I came to really understand and appreciate the value of taking the Sacrament each week.  Oh, I had always valued it, but not in quite the same way that I do now. Elder Jeffrey R Holland has said that one of the implications of partaking of the Sacrament is that it can be a spiritual experience, a holy communion, a renewal for the soul. And that when we listen to the sacrament prayers and recommit to our covenants, it can become that for us.  


 

Feeding the Missionaries.  I can't tell you how many Missionaries we have had in our home through the years, and fed.  Its a lot, and we have always loved having them.  They are always very grateful no matter what you feed them.  They always come with a special spirit which they bring into your home and then leave with you when they go. They are just nice young men and women, doing what they want to do, which is to serve the Lord.  They put up with lots of negativity and abuse on a daily basis, and yet, they get up every morning ready and armed to do it again.  Just one smile or act of kindness makes all the negativity worth it.  If you ever have a chance to feed them, do it!  You won't be sorry, I guarantee!  

We had the Zone Leaders last Friday and they called up about an hour before hand to say was it okay if there was an extra elder.  I always cook for an army so of course it was okay!  This is the group that has the Elder with food issues.  I was worried that I would not be able to cook a tasty meal for them with what little he is allowed to eat, but yay, I did and there were no leftovers!  Yay!  I love it when that happens!  This week we are having the other set of elders. No food issues with them.

 

Having a special someone to share all of these blessings in my life with. Even when he's grumpy, or when he can't hear and I have to repeat myself a bazillion times. I still wouldn't have it any other way.  He means the world to me. 

  

Knowing that at exactly 4 PM every day, almost without fail, I am going to be able to talk to my oldest daughter Eileen. This also means the world to me.  I am so grateful for a daughter that stays in such close touch with me and who actually values this time as much as I do.    


I am so grateful that I have a forgiving heart.  I cannot imagine carrying all the hurts in my life around with me always. What a burden.
 


Having a Home Sweet Home.  A place to call my own, filled with people that I love and who love me back.  This is what life is all about. 

 And those are my small and wonderfuls for this week. Truly I could go on and on and on.  I am truly living a life overflowing with small and wonderful things, a life that is blessed, and I count my blessings every single day.  

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
As we make Christ the centre of our lives
our fears will be replaced with the
power of our convictions.
~Thomas S Monson  •。★★ 。* 。 


Bell's Seasoning 

I have two recipes in The English Kitchen today  . . .  first I have a copycake recipe for Bell's Seasoning.  It is a version of Poultry Seasoning and it is the best thing for making stuffings, meatloaves, burgers, etc.  So there is that and then I used it to make  . . . 

Potato Stuffing  

My mother's most delicious Potato and Bread Stuffing.  I could eat this with a spoon, forgetting about anything else on my plate.  This stuff is fabulous! 

I hope the week ahead for you  is filled with lots of small and simple things!  Don't forget!

 ═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

And I do too!




 

 







10 comments:

  1. Hi, Marie! So sorry to hear about your sleepless night Saturday... I hope your teaching will go easier with time. It can be hard stand up in front of a bunch of people and sharing things/instruct, even good things! LOVE the little sparrow ornament--a lovely reminder to self of God's love and care. Nice with gifts like that! Glad Mitzie passed her health check--good girl. Our little fur girl has her health check in early 2019...we wonder if she may have to go on the diet food already, she's getting a little "pork chop"... haha! So glad Todd will be able to have his eye surgery soon--and improved sight!! Nice that will happen before Christmas. Super that your meal for the Elders with food issues went so well... I knew it would. ;) Off to see your recipes this week. There's no poultry season to be found here, so have to make one's own! Wishing you all blessed and beautiful week there... LOVE YOU BOTH SO MUCH!! ((LOVE & BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a great recipe on that page for making your own Tracy, and it is excellent! Love you all very much also. I wish we lived closer! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Enjoy the day!!My friend Nancy had cataract surgery and it was so great for her!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have high hopes for Todd. I think he will be surprised just at how much better his eye sight will be! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you found your sparrow to hang in the window. Sometimes we need that little reminder. I know I do anyway. And it's wonderful that you found a gift for your mom too that will brighten her days. I'm going to have to check out both recipes. Thank you always for sharing. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so pleased to find both Pam. Thank YOU for the inspiration! Love and hugs. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Thanks Marie for your recipe. I want to stry the stuffing one.
    I loved your your small and wonderful post today.
    I have sleepless nights when I teach or speak too. It’s not fun to not get the sleep you need. I imagine that you are s wonderful teacher. I would love to be a fly on the wall for yours. You do have a way with words like no other.
    Your Mitzie is a cute one. Our Sammy just went through his physical tests too. He has a cyst to be taken off and teeth cleaning; which is way to expensive for us.
    However, he is one of us and we love him so much.
    I love that you get to talk with your daughter once a week. I have been sad because my children don’t call often. They think text is the way to communicate in todays world. We did just see two of our famlies for the weekend which was awesome. Our granddaughter go married in the temple and it was such a sweet day.
    I do have a daughter and family that live with us right now so that’s awesome.
    I feel like you, sometimes you just have to have a special treat. I’m trying to stop eating very many treats.
    I too find the Sacrament to be a special moment in my life. I didn’t appreciate it or have those feelings until the last several years.
    I love feeding the missioanries too. I can just imagine how much they love coming to your home for a.good meal. You are a famous cook.
    I love your warm and giving heart!
    Sending lots of loving thoughts and hugs for you today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much LeAnn! You have a truly special heart as well. I love you to bits! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Now I have had some interesting stuffing in my life, but not that one...thanks for sharing another possibility!!
    Hugs, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its so delicious Elizabeth. I hope you will try it! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!