Thursday 29 November 2018

My Favourite Things . . .

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjOOPpfEd5Zsq2tbOc2-UBk6Njak8VrG7e7evggWXGZ2mh-j53ekFS5_iJ7oLR7meELGbGOHT1tpJoMRH-WDForIBx-F86puBU5K_uuGKf1hWiGc5Jko8kG6S71gFooUD3ZEZNrNzAWfJI/s320/alfp_favorite_things.png 

A few of the things in life that make my heart go pitty pat. Maybe they will do the same thing for yours. ♥♥♥    

When the wind rages and snow and rain beat against the glass of my windowpanes, but I am tucked up safe and sound and warm inside, with nowhere to go and nothing to do.  Comfy cosy in my own little world. 


Scented candles.  They are cosy also, but can evoke any kind of mood.  I am particularly fond of the ones that smell like warm spices or baking.  I also like Christmassy smelling ones! 


  

Homemade Mince Pies.  Well, any kind of mince pies really.  Funny that, as I never used to like mince pies when I was growing up, but I love them now.  You can pretty much buy them all year round now, but we only indulge at Christmas.  




Old children's book illustrations depicting nature's creatures and elves and brownies.  They remind me of my childhood.  I used to devour books like this.  I loved reading about the fairy world.  


  

Squirrels, especially red squirrels.  The few times we rented a cottage up in the Lake District (when we had money, lol) we stayed in the same Cottage in a Red Squirrel Conservation area.   



They are a lot smaller than grey squirrels and have a sweet tuft of fur that pokes out of their ears. did you know that in the summertime the sun bleaches their tails white?  It does! 

  

Emma Bridgewater ceramics, especially her mugs.  They are perfect for enjoying hot cups of whatever keeps your hands warm and brings comfort.  



The rain and wind are beating against the glass of our windows this morning as I write this, but looking over at my wee glass sparrow cheers my heart and reminds me that His eye is on the sparrow.  Poor wee sparrows are all snuggled down in our hedge this morning.  I feel sorry for the wild animals in this kind of weather.  Thankfully my glass one is toasty warm and dry indoors.  I love this glass bird.  I got it from here.  I think I want to collect all of his birds. They really are lovely and you can see, they look nice in the window. 



Secret Gardens and spaces.  Little worlds tucked away that you just happen to chance upon. There was a secret garden on the grounds of the Big House where I worked.  There wasn't much in it, but it was always a little bit of a surprise when you happened upon it. 

  

Humming Birds  . . .  we don't get them here in the UK.  I always put up a hummingbird feeder when I lived in Canada and used to love watching them arrive at the feeder.  They are such fun! 
  


Getting stuck into a good book.  I haven't been able to find any really, REALLY good ones to read lately.  Ones that I can't put down.  I am reading a couple books, but they aren't my favourites.  


   

Although at my age and girth, I would never wear one (I don't even wear necklaces anymore because I don't want to accentuate my turkey-neck)  I do love a beautiful crochet collar.  They look sweet on the young, although I do believe that Susan Branch could pull wearing one off. 
 


Christmas.  Although it can also be the saddest time of the year, I do love everything about Christmas.  I love listening to the carols on the Mormon Music Channel.  They have Christmas Music playing 24/7 now and I love it!  I love watching Christmas Movies (although I haven't been able to get Todd to cave in just yet.) I love the decorations.  I love the food.  I love the Christmas story about the Saviour's birth.  The only thing I don't like is shopping this time of year when the shops and roads are far too crowded! 




 No surprise here . . .  Michael Buble.  I wonder if there will be a Christmas special this year?  I used to love watching all of the Christmas specials when I was growing up.  All the big musical stars used to have one. 


Anyways, I love Michael Buble full stop!
His music that is.

  

Romance and roses  . . . 


And dresses that go swish  . . .  memory, my mom and dad all dressed up and ready to go out dancing.  My mother looks so pretty, my father so handsome and both smell amazing.  My mom smells like Ma Griffe perfume and her dress makes a swishing sound . . . they are both so happy.  I love that memory  . . . 

To a  young child their parents are their whole world. 
My parents still mean the world to me. 
  

  

Letters sealed with wax . . .  love, love, love . . . 

And with that I best leave you with a thought for today  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
In the end I would rather be able to say
 I loved too much than not enough.
~Christian Poindexter   •。★★ 。* 。 


Berry French Toast in a Mug 

There is a Diabetic friendly Berry French Toast in a mug in the kitchen today.  A treat we can all enjoy.  If you are not a Diabetic, just use regular ingredients, instead of sugar free.

Have a wonderful day.  I hope you get to enjoy a few of your favourite things.  Don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   

 












12 comments:

  1. Love your birdie!!♥Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mince pies are a favorite of mine. I bought a jar of mince meat with good intentions last year, but didn't get any made. This year I hope to use it up before I have to throw it out. Hope you have a great day! Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should still be good Pam. I have had some for more than a year and it was still good! Happy days! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I ordered some Walker's mince pies last year. The crust was not at all like pie crust, was weird and unpleasant. Is that how they are supposed to be? I was very disappointed. I live in the US, so these are not a usual thing. I have made my own mince pie before, but never the tiny ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Store bought mince pies are never like your own. The crust is usually not really like pastry. More like a paste that has been pressed into the tins and baked. Your own are far superior! xoxo

      Delete
    2. Am going to try to make my own then. I bought a little pie thingy from Lekue that you lay the crust on and it makes little wells you put the filling in, put on the top crust and roll over it. Little pies. Even I should be able to do that.

      Delete
  4. Thanks again for sharing your favorite things. I loved reading through them all. Mince pie isn’t my favorite but I do like it more than I did as.a child.
    It’s raining here and I can here it beating against our windows off and on too. I love the soft glow of candles and the differeent aromas. I love Christmas and enjoy all the precious moments of it. Last year we were on a trip and I really missed the traditional parts of Christmas. We have a family party next week since our foreign exchange daughter from Brazil is coming with her 14 year old daughter that I haven’t met. She came 19 years ago when we had a full Christmas with all our famlies. As usual we don’t get to see very many of our children are grandchildren for Christmas; it saddens my heart. We just try to enjoy the local famlies that can be here.
    I love a good Christmas novel every year. I haven’t for along time got to really sit down and enjoy one This year I am reading short Christmas novels which is fun.
    I love the victorian era and the Christmas’s past.
    Well thanks for sparking up some memories and thought today.
    Sending loving thoughts and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your party should be fun LeAnn! Enjoy! I don't get to see any of my family ever at Christmas and will be lucky if I hear from a few of them, and I never get a card. I have gotten used to it and don't even hope for them now as I hate being or feeling disappointed at Christmas. Now I just enjoy the Holidays for what they are and squash the rest of it down! Love and hugs! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hi Marie~

    Well, this post cheered me up, I loved it!

    I love a good scented candle! Bob loves the ones that smell of vanilla and cinnamon, they just make me hungry! I bought a beautiful candle the other day that smells like Christmas trees...and a little bit of sweet...just perfect!

    I have always loved mince pie. It reminds me of Christmas and Thanksgiving, we always had it. It's hard to find good mince today, but I can still find it at a few stores. Bob's mother used to make her own and used deer meat in it, it was delicious! I could probably order it...I might do that for Christmas!

    Fairies and Michael Buble! I could listen to him all day, I just love him. I heard he is retiring, I hope not... :0(

    We had lots of humming birds here last summer, they were so cute! I need to get a feeder ready in the Spring to encourage them to stick around.

    I can remember loving it when I would smell my dad's aftershave, because I knew they were going out! My dad was shorted than my mom, so he always wore elevator shoes, he looked very handsome. My mom always looked beautiful with her pretty dresses and her hair all done up...ahhhh!

    The other day I received a wedding announcement in the mail and it was sealed with a wax stamp on the back...I loved it!

    XOXO

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not either Barb, did you see his Carpool Kariyoke (SP) with James Cordon on YouTube. Brilliant. His voice just makes me happy. Love you sweet friend. xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!