Wednesday 17 October 2018

A this and that day . . .


This is going to be a this and that kind of a morning, where I ramble on about whatever comes to mind.  Some days are just like that.  This and that days . . . 



(not my foot or leg, for illustrative purposes only)

So, I had my Doppler Test yesterday morning. A Doppler ultrasound is a test that uses high-frequency sound waves to measure the amount of blood flow through your arteries and veins, usually those that supply blood to your arms and legs. Vascular flow studies, also known as blood flow studies, can detect abnormal flow within an artery or blood vessel. My left foot, the one I had the problem with, has been retaining fluid for about 20 years now. My toes on that foot look like little sausages, which is why I never wear sandles.  When you look at them you do think of "little piggies."  When I had my Diabetic review last week the nurse said we could do a Doppler test on it to see if it is vascular or aterial and then if it was not vascular then we could get pressure stockings to wear that might help it.  Happy to report there is nothing untoward in my arteries, all are working fine.  (She checked blood flow in all four limbs)  So I was measured for pressure stockings and given a prescription, which I will pick up today.  Two pairs.  Supposed to last six months and then I can get a fresh couple of pairs.  Hopefully they will do the trick!

I think these are like the stockings you wear on airplanes. 


It was early and we were out so we thought we would pop into McDonalds for an Eggs and Sausage McMuffin. (A rare treat)  Let me start off by saying that I have never ever had one that looked like the above, lol.  But they do taste good, and every now and the we enjoy one.  I like to put lots of pepper on mine.  Todd puts ketchup on his. (Blecch!)  One thing I do wonder is how they get such soft English muffins.  They are as light and soft as air.  When I buy English muffins to do  breakfast sandwiches at home, they are never ever as soft as the ones you get in McDonalds.  Maybe I don't want to know . . .  


Last week when I was in the shops I noticed that Walkers was doing Regional Favourites with its crisps again and they were on offer for a mixed bag for a pound.  So I picked up a bag of each. (Six in each bag, two each of three different flavours.)  One thing that I noticed when I moved over here was that they had very unsual flavours in crisps/potato chips.  Flavours like Roast Chicken, or Prawn Cocktail, Builder's Breakfasts.  I thought it would be nice to try each flavour in these Regional Favourites and see whether I liked them or not.  Supposedly these were picked as favourite flavours in six different regions.

Scotland - Pickled Onion - very pickly. I thought they might be somewhere on the par with the Canadian Dill Pickle, but they just taste very vinegary, with a slight tang of onion.  Not my favourite. Sorry Scotland.

South East - Worcester Sauce - just what it says.  Worcester Sauce.  Not unpalatable, but not my favourite either.  They do kind of grow on you however by the time you have finished the bag.

The North - Ketchup - We had ketchup flavoured potato chips in Canada.  These are not quite the same.  They have a kind of vinegary, tomatoey flavour.  Not too bad

The South West - Marmite - Marmite is a love it or loathe it kind of a thing.  Its a yeast spread that people eat a lot of over here.  Todd likes it on bread.  It has a sticky salty flavour and is a by product of beer brewing.  It doesn't taste like beer in the least.  I actually don't mind it and these were quite tasty.  I wouldn't eat marmite spread on bread however.  

The Midlands - Smoky Bacon - Bacon.  Count me in.  I love bacon flavoured  crisps.  I think these were my favourite.  Smoky and tasting of bacon.  Crisp.  Love.

Wales - Beef & Onion -  they taste like my mothers old hamburger patties that she used to make us for supper on occasion.  They taste pretty good and I enjoyed. Without the gristle and chewy bits in my mother's hamburgers, I quite liked them.

So my favourite were the Smoky Bacon and my least favourite the Pickled Onion. I will not be repeating the test. 

My sister, her two girls and my mom.

A bit of excitement yesterday when my sister messaged me to say that they had taken my mom to the local hospital by ambulance.  Apparently my mom had been in a lot of pain for a couple of days in her right shoulder.  Nothing that they had in the way of pain killers at home was touching the pain and my sister thought to be on the safe side (after two days of discomfort) that she should go to hospital.  Thankfully it was nothing serious!  whew!  They sent her home with some stronger pain killers.  It was only muscular and they felt that because of the dementia she was having problems processing the pain the way adults usually do, but more childlike and we all know what it is like when a child is in pain.  Kind of like a "man cold."  So, so relieved that it was nothing bad and so, so grateful for my sister's care and patience.  I was very tearful all afternoon, imagining worse case scenarios.  I know worry never helped anything, but I think it is human nature in these cases.  Many thanks for all the prayers on my mother's and sister's behalf!  



Is it just me, or does everyone get annoyed by all of these annoying cookie warnings that you get these days on every site on just about every site on the planet and the need to click an agree button?  I think a lot of bloggers have paid to have special pop-ups concerning them on their pages. Now, not only do you get ads popping up, but these annoying cookie warning pop-ups. Some pages are like mine-fields. You don't know where to click first.  I usually end up leaving altogether, in frustration.  I can't be bothered.  I haven't done anything to my pages.  Just left them as is.  I am not a business.  I don't make money from my pages.  I haven't got the patience or funds to put up with all of that.  Plus if I find them really annoying, I am sure most people do and the last thing I want people to put up with when they land on my page is something annoying.  Just something else we can blame on the EU.  Did you know that there are even a few sites that won't allow you on them if you are from the EU?  I was a regular contributer to a site called Recipe Zaar for many, many years.  I have hundreds of recipes stored on there.  It is now called Food.com.  All lost now, because I live in the EU I am not allowed to go onto Food.com.  My country is blocked.  Its insanity.  I can't even look at my own recipes.  The rest of the world can, but I can't.  What are your thoughts on all of these pop-ups?  Do they annoy you too?   



I had an e-mail yesterday morning informing me that my Degustabox was going to be delivered between 1 and 2 by DPD.  Then I had an e-mail telling me it was going to be late, but that Neil, my driver, would aim to have it to me by 6 pm.  There was a spot you could click on to see where he was and where you were in the queue.  I clicked on it and I was number 47 of 48 deliveries.  Then I got an e-mail later to say he was 15 minutes away and he was in Runcorn, this was about 6 PM I guess.  then nothing  . . .  no package arrived and when I click on the tracker it goes to nothing.  Now I am left wondering what's up with that.  Its really wierd. I am in Limbo.  It wasn't delivered, so where did it go?  Just one of life's little  mysteries I guess.  


Our Relief Society is having an activity night on the 23rd and I am supposed to be doing a Flat Breads demonstration.  I am a bit unsure as to how to go about that.  Any suggestions?  I thought I could just talk about different flat breads from different cultures, but I can't really have people making flat breads in the church kitchen, which has a stove that is just yuck.  I thought I could do some easy Naans and use my electric skillet, or quesadillas in the skillet.  And have a variety of dips, etc.  Any help or ideas would be welcome!  (I am not a bread expert!) 


  

I was sorely tempted. They had  halloween costumes for dogs at Lidl when I was in the other day.  Mitzie wouldn't tolerate one I don't think, so I wasn't too tempted, but I did get tempted by this. 


All they had left was the pumpkin ones and the ones with the multi print.  There was no mummy ones.  We stopped by at Ariana and Jose's after to give them to them.  (Grace would be such a cute pumpkin!) They already had the Mummy one, so Grace is well outfitted for Halloween! 

  

She is such a little cutie pie.  This was on the 28th September, so she has grown bunches since then. Love her to bits.  It is hard to believe she is going to soon be 3 months old!  You could dress me in a onsie and pose me on a blanket like that and I guarantee I would not be a fraction of that cute! Not in the least!   

And with that horrible picture floating through your mind, lol, I will replace it with a lovely thought to carry with you through the rest of today  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
We are not human beings
having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings
having a human experience.
~Pierre Teilhard de Chardin  •。★★ 。* 。 


 Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs 

In the English Kitchen today, Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs.  Scrummy yummy!

Have a brilliant Wednesday! Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

And I do too!















14 comments:

  1. Glad you might be able to be helped by those stockings...give us a report now and then...those of us in similar situations might get some ideas to pursue here too. You kind of have to be your own doctor in ways. As to the english muffins...seems if you warmed them up at about 350 degrees, for maybe 10 minutes, prior to using them, maybe they would taste more like McDs? Heh, well no doubt theirs have LOTS of sugar in them eh? My hubby LOVES that place too. As to taste, I have no complaints but being gluten free and dairy free...tis nothing on the menu here at least, that I can eat. But I let him get them at times. And I fix something at home for me. Maybe something he is not fond of but that I enjoy! Glad your mom is ok for now. Pain is so different depending on who has it...hard to compare ourselves with others I think. Elizabeth XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Elizabeth! My post posted before it was actually finished. Its done now. I tried gluten free bread once and thought it was really yucky. It left a funny coating in my mouth I didn't like. It must be hard to be dairy and gluten free! ((((hugs)))) xoxo

      Delete
  2. Gluten free is so horrible. I am supposed to eat gluten free but I eat less flour now. I am thankful that I am not coeliac.

    I hope the stocking help you. When dad went into the nursing home he had well over a dozen pairs. They disappeared so I bought him cheaper ones and they went too. They really did help him.

    Grace is looking so happy and beautiful. She must be her parents' delight. Cuddle her when you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy every change I can get to cuddle her Suzan. I think its terrible how things disappear in care homes. They get put in the wash and then end up in the wrong residents rooms at the end, etc. I am not sure what the answer is. I know when I worked in the Care Home, each Care Assitant had too many people under their care and not enough time to really take proper care of them. Its all about money, and it shouldn't be. It should be about care. Love and hugs. xoxo

      Delete
  3. The stockings should help!
    Yay..all good news yesterday.
    I hate the pop ups..and I feel uncomfortable because some blogs I have followed for a while and not only do they have that but so many ads.I am remiss sometimes when I have loads to do..too many ads..videos..buy this buy that..:( I am so not into ads.We stopped a lot of reg tv because of the ads.J couldn't stand them;)
    Hahaha having things delivered I have turned into a watchdog since Prime..The firts time they used Intelcom I Googled and so much criticism..I thought here we go..They have been stellar:)
    I have not ordered in a while..but I thik I will continue w/ Prime.Handy dandy.

    Grace is getting cuter and cuter:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had any problem with Prime. Great delivery and have never had a problem returning anything either. Once again today I am waiting for my other delivery. I suppose it will get here eventually! I feel like you do about all the ads on blogs, etc. I know people make money from them. I have some google ads, but they aren’t pop ups and I think not intrusive and to be honest you don’t make a lot from them, but a little bit, which is ok. Grace is a little doll and she has her mom’s beautiful pouty mouth! Xoxo

      Delete
  4. First off, I'm so happy that your mom is ok. That had to have been a scare. As to the cookies and pop ups, I'm reading a lot less these days and refuse to read any that have those cookie messages that you must ok to read any further. Same with the pop up. I no longer visit those sights. Hope your flat bread demo goes just fine. There are so many different kinds and ways to fix them too. Have a wonderful Wednesday !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pam! A lot of pages have far too many hoops to jump through now, especially recipe pages. If all I am looking for is a recipe, I don't want to have to jump through a bazillion hoops to get it! I was so relieved that my mom was okay. I hope and pray I will be able to see her at least one more time! Blessings to you and a Happy Wednesday! xoxo

      Delete
  5. SOME gluten free deserts are to die for...truly. But the ONLY decent bread I have found was imported from someplace in Europe I think when we first began eating it, but now we get it made in NJ. It is made by Schar company...the version I prefer is called Artisan Baker White Bread and has a very mild sourdough taste which I adore!! I generally get it via Amazon...maybe folks over there could as well. I have been working for the past 25 years or so on a bunch of gluten free breads...some recipes also dairy free as of the past couple years. Maybe I will get it into print one day...or maybe my daughters will...no time to do so right now. I DO think some of my recipes are not like any I have found SO FAR online or in books...so I have hopes. I have given up on making bread however. I also made in years past a lasagna that non-gluten eaters often begged for. Tinkyada makes the best lasagna noodles so far as I know. Then just use your regular ingredients. I also like their other spiral type noodles. My fav bow tie GF noodles are by jovial...oh my used in a cold chicken salad with LOTS of onions and other ingredients...tis indeed a royal treat!! Yes, I do find being gluten and dairy free hard...I am also allergic in varying degrees to about 50 other foods or spices as well. But with allergies, you can get away with eating some here and there, except the worst ones. I ate with no problems, whatever I pleased, until about my late 30's...it is harder to have to see my kids and grandkids have to avoid things, even as small children. I suppose the worst of it came from me, but both sets of grandkids also get some allergies from the other side of their families. I had all my kids before I knew I had allergies...or likely I would not have had kids or maybe not married. But as in all of life...we do what we can. The GOOD part of having allergies? What I make at home is far superior in food value than whatever you get anywhere else as I try to load as many nutrients into what I make as I possibly can. With one grandchild I have seen how his behavior improved when eating my stuff...yep, you might be amazed at how much eating daily some ground flax seeds in something helps with such...we can see a direct correlation with this kid anyway. The things that happen by "accident" from my perspective...though I know GOD is behind some such things. XOXO Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry Elizabeth, I picked up your comment on the iPad and accidentally deleted it, so have copied and pasted it in, schar make very good gluten free products, but they are expensive here. But then again, anything gluten free is! All your suggestions sound great! My oldest son has been diagnosed with lots of allergies. He also has diverticulitis like I do! I think God is behind a lot of things! I am sure everything you make is gorgeous! Xoxo

      Delete
    2. Oh Marie...this is your blog...no apologies needed. I admire anyone who can put something together so nicely as you have your blog!!
      XOXO Elizabeth

      Delete
    3. Thanks Elizabeth! When it comes to my iPad I am all thumbs!

      Delete
  6. First of all my dear, I so happy your mum is back at home and that your sister is with her and such a good carer. I know it has to put your heart somewhat at ease. Distance is so difficult in these situations. Continued prayers for your mother's health and well being.

    As to your bread demo. The way I would do it would be to talk about the types of flat breads that are common place in different parts of the world. If you could find packages of them (if budget permits) or photos of them in recipe books to pass round that's always nice. I would have the ingredients measured out for a simple laffa maybe. Then demonstrate how to mix it and cook it in your electric skillet in front of them, then cut it into sample size pieces to serve with dips. This is the way our chefs or indeed myself would do it in our cooking classes.

    Good luck, it sounds like great fun!

    Much love xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Noelle! These sound like great ideas and something along the lines of what I was going to do! You’re a star! Love and hugs! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!