Saturday 13 October 2018

Saturday this and that . . .



When we lived down in Kent, surrounded by Orchards . . . the seasons played out their individuality just over  the hedge in the back garden.  I could look out the window in our upstairs library any day of the week, any week of the year and know what month it was.  The Orchards played the tunes so beautifully.  Mother Nature is a little bit more subtle here in the city, or suburbs as it were . . . you really need to get out and about to hear her song more clearly.

We didn't need a fence around our garden there, which at first spooked me.  I used to worry about our Jess getting lost, but she never did and after a time I didn't worry about it anymore.She had complete freedom there and I used to think it a wonderful thing for her.  She never did wander very far at all . . . occasionally she would get onto the main grounds of the Estate and sniff at a few toadstools etc., but she was very good at staying close to home.  She was a bit of a nervous dog really, and very much a homebody.  


  



It was a bit like living in a parkland really, and yes . . . I would be lying if I said I did not miss all the beauty that surrounded us.  That part was really lovely.

I was able to learn an observe a lot about nature living in that environment that I would never have learned otherwise.  We moved there in late October of 2002 and for the next  seven years I was surrounded in that beauty and I learned something new about the seasons and nature every single day.   I hardly ever left the Estate, except to go to the shops and to church, so it really was for the most part my whole world.



Most people think that the woodlands begin to die in the autumn, and yes . . . there is a lot of decay and dying, falling leaves and animals hiding away for the long Winter hibernation ahead, but . . . in reality, summer was much more dead than autumn ever was.

In the summer the air hung heavy in the woods and orchards.  Not much stirred . . . all was close and still.   You barely heard a peep from the birds.  There wasn't much of interest there.   It was in early October that they began to come alive again with a stirring and a sense of excitement.  Not only was the air punctuated with the sound of falling leaves and acorns . . . but every little breeze stirred up the rustle of leaves drying on the branches, and the birds began to sing again.  Many had left on their annual migration to warmer climes, but . . . those that stayed sang once more and that, I believe . . . was the key to the woods and orchards seemingly coming back to life. It was the bird song that lifted the heart and made it sing too . . .



 There were parts on the long walks we would take through the surrounding orchards where you could look out and see for miles and miles across the South Downs.  My camera was our constant companion on these little jaunts and I often snapped away at whatever happened to catch my eye and heart.  It was all very beautiful to me.  I have long been a lover of anything to do with nature.  I probably should have been some kind of a park ranger or some such . . . or at least married to one . . . 



Jess always accompanied us on our walks.   You could see her white ruff dancing through the grass, and that white tail tip, waving like a flag, assuring us of her nearby presence.  She was such a great companion . . . and I still miss her very much.    We love Mitzie to bits too, and enjoy her being with us, but I suppose it is a bit like losing a child.   You never forget them and they are always with you, even if only in spirit, and not a day goes by you don't miss them and your heart doesn't tweak at the memory of their being there . . .  I hope that I don't offend anyone by saying so.  To a couple such as us, who have no children of our own together, our dogs and pets are our babies, and we love them every bit as much as we would a real baby.  The differentiation makes very little difference to our hearts . . . 

   


There is truly a special place in the human heart that only a dog can fill I suppose.  Jess was a rescue dog and I remember always saying to Todd how much I wished that we could have raised her from a puppy.  That's why when we decided to get another dog, we got a puppy, and look  . . . .  



Our hearts and lives were never the same . . .  she has us twisted around her little paws. Oh how we love her so  . . . every bit as much as Jess, but in a different way, if that makes sense.  

╔══ღ═════╗
• ✿ღℓ σ √ ε ღ✿ܓ
╚═════ღ══╝

"Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life."
~Brian Andreas  



Was she not a most beautiful Bride?  Aren't they just the sweetest couple.  I thoroughly enjoyed the Royal wedding yesterday of Princess Eugenie and Jack  Brooksbank.  



I thought she looked simply stunning and her gown was perfect and beautiful, just like her.  Two royal weddings in one year.  Aren't we so lucky!

 

We watched an excellent film last night.  The Post.  

Katharine Graham is the first female publisher of a major American newspaper -- The Washington Post. With help from editor Ben Bradlee, Graham races to catch up with The New York Times to expose a massive cover-up of government secrets that spans three decades and four U.S. presidents. Together, they must overcome their differences as they risk their careers -- and very freedom -- to help bring long-buried truths to light.

It was excellent.  I highly recommend!

And with that I will leave you with a thought for today  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
"There is a harmony
In autumn, and a lustre in its sky,
Which through the summer is not heard or seen,
As if it could not be, as if it had not been!"
- Percy Bysshe Shelley   
•。★★ 。* 。 


Cherry Crumble Tray Bake  


Baking in The English Kitchen today  . . . . Cherry Crumble Tray Bake.  Lovely.  


Have a beautiful Saturday!   Don't forget along the way of your day! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!


8 comments:

  1. Good morning my darling Marie. What a beautiful picture you paint of the English countryside. I am sure it varies so much.

    So far we have had a drizzly October and I am loving it. I need to get into the garden but I don't relish getting wet. This afternoon I went down to theatre with Pip. I had some great giggles during the production and afterwards I vacuumed the theatre. Thankfully it is a very small theatre and didn't take forever. Poor Pip had to remove the rubbish I could not reach!

    God bless you always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful Suzan. Get away from the cities into the countryside and beauty reigns supreme. Even in the cities we have beautiful lush green parks! Yes, I do love this country! God bless! Xoxo

      Delete
  2. She really is so pretty and a perfect blend of her mum and dad.Definitely her dad's lovely big toothy grin(I love those)..
    I get your love of pets:)
    My gosh you're not alone.
    We don't have pets(except 3 season chickens:)) since the girls left home..J is not a pet lover..which is ok..can't convert him..You made me laugh at park ranger:)
    Looks like an oasis at the manor..did they keep it or sell it?
    Again so well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, such a beautiful smile! It was a very beautiful environment Monique! You would have loved the gardens. Apparently they sold it off piece meal. More money that way. Our cottage alone got almost a million! Xoxo

      Delete
  3. You do have some wonderful memories of your time in the country and your sweet dog too. City living is really different especially when it comes to seeing the changes in the seasons. But it is more convenient in many ways. Not so far to travel when you need something for sure. Hope you too have a wonderful Saturday !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is what you make of it Pam! Grateful for it all! I like some place in between city and country. You have your rural bits and then your busy bits and you don’t have to go too far for anything! Happy Saturday! Xoxo

      Delete
  4. Hi Marie~

    Oh my goodness, what gorgeous photos! I can only imagine how wonderful it was to be surrounded by such beauty! Jess, is a beautiful dog, and we do miss them so much when they leave us. I dread the day that we will have to say good-bye to our, Cole. He has become such a part of our family, our life practically revolves around his needs. He is almost 11, and for a Lab, that is quite old. Mitzie is such a cute little girl! I'll just bet that becoming attached to her was not very hard. I know that we will see them on the other side, and I am counting on a few of my favorite pets greet me with lots of slobbery kisses!

    Have a beautiful Sabbath! XOXO

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try hard not to think about when we will lose our Mitzie Barb. She is 8 1/2 now and still the light of our lives! I really do hope that we are greeted on the other side by our pets and slobbery kisses! You have a beautiful Sabbath also! Love you. xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!