Friday 24 May 2024

This and That . . .





No Friday Finds today. I don't know what I did, but as of a couple of days ago now, it has become really difficult for me to post pictures, links, etc. on the blog, both my EK blog and this one. Its taking me twice as long to do them for some reason.  I can upload photos, but I can't change the size of them, unless I upload them in html.  Any linking has to be done in html also.  This involves a lot of switching back and forth from html to compose view.  I am not a code writer, and this is very challenging for me.  I have no idea what I did to cause this to happen. I am sure it is something quite simple. If my son was here he would be able to help me, but alas, he is not. I am sure my brother could as well, but after having worked with computers for so many years, he hates being asked to do anything on the computer and so I never ask him anything if I can possibly help it.  I don't want to burden him.  So, until I figure it out, I can't really do a photo heavy post like a Friday Finds.  Fingers crossed I have it sorted before too long!



(source


We managed to get a few more closets done at dad's yesterday. For the most part he is quite co-operative, but then he gets stubborn on a few things. Like his music cd's and movie dvd's. He has tons of them. He has not watched or listened to any of them since I have been here, and yet he wants to take all of them to Cindy's.  He thinks that Dan is going to put all of his music onto his computer, but I don't think Dan is going to do that. He just doesn't have the time to be honest.  He works all week and when he is home, he has the yard, etc. to tend to. He might be able to do a couple, but he can't be doing a hundred.  I tried to get him to pick just ten of his favorite ones, but he wasn't having it. 

I know it is really hard to have to downsize.  I understand totally how difficult it is to have to give up so much. He has not been really pro-active about any of it.  He just wants to sit there and have it all done for him. I don't think we can make much progress until he is out of there.  He has a clothes wardrobe hanger filled with all of the empty blister packs from his prescriptions. He was going to use them to store little screws and things. He has saved the little squirty plastic caps off of aerosol containers. It just goes on and on. And yet, there are other things that he says just get rid of them, like old clothes.  

And don't get me started on the paper  . . . One thing is for sure. I am learning big time from this and that is to be a lot more judicious about what I keep and what I get rid of for myself.  I don't ever want to burden my family in that way.  When I am gone, I hope that the clean up is easy and painless. 

I told Cindy, once he is out, we can get one of those big metal bins and just start getting rid of the garbage. What the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve.


The simplicity of owning what you love, 
wanting what you have, 
and being who you are is 
its own form of wealth.




I hardly slept a wink last night.  I have this Fitbit and I can't figure out how to stop it from flashing on every time I move in bed. I was so tired last night when I went to bed. I was falling asleep here on the sofa at 8:30 and so went to bed fairly early. But the darn Fitbit kept flashing and waking me up.  Finally at 2 a.m. I took the darn thing off.  I have liked wearing it to bed, keeping a record of my sleep habits, but last night it was just too annoying.

At best I get 7 hours sleep maximum and I always get very little deep sleep. Last night I think I might have only gotten about half an hour's deep sleep. The rest of it was very bitty. I will be dragging my butt today.

They came to mow our grass after 7 pm last night.  Apparently they had forgotten both Sheila's and my yard and were putting their mowers back on the truck and had not done ours so Sheila went down and told them. At first they said they had, but when the guy checked, indeed they had not, so they took a mower off and came down and did them.  Sheila called me to make sure I knew. lol   I get a kick out of her. Nothing escapes her watchful eyes.




The man across the road finished moving out last week.  His wife is in hospital with Alzheimer's and will never come out now. They had only moved there so it was easier for her and closer to town.  According to Sheila he couldn't afford to both rent the place here and their other home, plus keep his wife in hospital/care facility, so he moved out.  A lady from the next street over will be  moving in.

The maintenance guys have been in there all week replacing the floors, so she will have a nice new floor to move in to.  I am not sure when she is  moving in. Sheila neglected to tell me, lol  Sorry I shouldn't laugh, but I can't help it.  I just think it is funny.

I was going to get a hanging basket but have decided not to.  I am just going to leave everything as is. I should have bought one of the fake ones up at the Running Man last week when we were there, but I did not.  I thought they were too pricey at $39.  But to be honest you pay that much for a real one nowadays.   


I just don't have the energy and time for "real" gardening. I did not finish work yesterday until 4:30 and then I was too pooped to pop! It is like that  most days.  I am not complaining however. I am incredibly grateful for the means to support myself.





Oh, I could go to sleep right now. But I cannot. I will try to have a nap maybe this afternoon.  You can tell you are getting older when you start wanting to take naps.  I think tomorrow it is my day to clean the chapel.  I will have to contact Jackie to see what time we are supposed to be there.  It is never really very dirty to be honest. We basically just dust, clean the glass and the bathrooms. Someone else vacuums. (Thank goodness!)

I don't have a lot planned for the weekend.  Just work and church.  Oh and the chapel cleaning.  I ordered some fabric so that I can make curtains to hang in front of the bookcases.  I am being hopeful in thinking I will have the time to do that.   I just think things will look cleaner and less cluttered.  I like a house to look lived in, but I don't like it to look cluttered.

Talk about Dad having stuff to get rid of. I could do with a bit of a clear-out myself!!  I have only been here four years, but I have still managed to collect a bit of stuff. Time to get on top of it I think!

Well, I have gone on this morning about a lot of nothing so rather than bore you any longer I will leave you with a thought for today  . . . 

A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.Invent your world.
Surround yourself with people,
color, sounds and work 
that nourishes you.
~Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken Tenders.  Quick, easy and delicious!

I hope you have a fabulous Friday!  Whatever you get up to be happy, stay safe, and don't forget!


═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

  

And I do too!
    

   




5 comments:

  1. Morning, Marie. I’m sorry you are having trouble uploading pictures to your blog. I updated my browser recently and everything seems to have changed including how I attach photos to emails. It is all very frustrating so I understand your pain. It’s a monumental job for us to downsize after almost 50 years in the same house. Lots of things have come in over the years but it seems very little has gone out. It will be lovely when your dad is all settled at Cindy’s. It’s a big job for you and Cindy. Have a nice weekend. Hope you can relax a bit. Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps it is Blogger that made changes and not you. Can't offer any help as I gave up on Blogger years ago. I like your This and That posts, cleaning out for someone is hard, especially when they are around. I think that is why the companies/people that do downsizing work best as they have no attachments to things. Keep going, you will master it all soon. A nice sunny day, but maybe some rain on the weekend. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if this will work. You maybe could phone your brother to ask him if this would work. Do a CNTRL ALT DEL all at the same time. Push all of those buttons down at the same time. This should bring up Task Manager. Look on there to see if you have an HTML program running. If so, click on it on the task manager and stop it running (delete it), and then press close on the task manager to close the task manager. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if you had a little black bag with an elastic opening would help with your Fitbit light. You could slip it over your hand and wrist when you retire, but it would still be easily uncovered to view your Fitbit if needed. Or even better, I have some terry headbands that are stretchy; those could just be placed over the fit bit a time or two to block the light at night? Hope you find a remedy. I hate being repeatedly awakened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, we have only been here 2 years...but it seems I have more BOOKS especially than when we came...oh dear...and you can find some nice ones at the dollar store for only $1.25...hardbound even!! Mercy, how can I not get some? I did!! So wishing you the best in the downsize dept for yourself and your dad!!
    Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!