Monday 6 May 2024

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.





Cats are just like kids.  They love to play with boxes and sit in them.  I had ordered a few spices from Amazon and they came yesterday in this huge box. (Why?) Anyways, there was lots of paper in the box and Nutmeg just had to get into it and settle in.  He was very content in it.  At first I was afraid that with all of his scratching, etc. he was preparing it for something else, but all my fears were for naught. He was just prepping it to have a comfy sit-down. Oh he does make me smile.

 
(sorry for messy hair, he had just taken off his cap)

My son Anthony's friend Troy has opened up a Burger Van in Fredericton, and Anthony is one of the cooks. They did so well on Saturday that they ran out of stock and couldn't open up on Sunday. That is a great blessing!  I have been praying that they would do well. It is called Amazeburgs.   




They have a very simple menu with what looks like pretty decent prices. I wish them very well on this new venture!





The first church service of the month in my church is given over to the congregation so that they can bear their testimonies to each other. It is one of my favorite services. I love hearing how God has been working in people's lives. I always find their testimonies to be inspiring and uplifting.  I only ever very rarely go up myself, and I am not sure why that is. It is not that I don't have a testimony to share. I do.  I am not so great speaking "off the cuff" like that. I lose my words, which is happening more and  more as I get older.  I have a "stupor of thought" as it were. It sounds great in my head, but I can't get it out of my mouth.  Perhaps that comes from living by myself.  Maybe I need to talk to my cats more! lol

I do have a testimony though. The Savior is real to me. I love Him, and I feel His love for me every single day of my life, even when I am not being so loveable  He is my friend. He inspires me to want to do better, to be better. To love others just as He does. I cannot imagine my life without Him in it. He and His example have helped me to be able to find joy in every circumstance. I am quite simply His.  He does not expect us to be perfect. He is a "come as you are and I will love you as you are" kind of a guy.



Happy Birthday to my grandson Jon who turns 18 today! He is a nice boy. I am so proud of him. He is autistic and has managed to do so well.  He has been accepted at Holland College next year.  I wish I had his hair.  I love him very much!

Every night I pray that all of my grandchildren will be safe and happy and secure.  




I had a lovely phone call with my friend Kathy in Alberta yesterday. I have known and been friends with Kathy since 1981 when we were young military wives living next door to each other.  I love her very much.  The mark of a true friend is when you can go months without talking and then take up again, right where you left off, as if no time has passed. That is the way it always is with us. Oh, we keep abreast of each others lives daily on Facebook, but we talk infrequently. Life and a time difference gets in the way.  But she is one of my longest and dearest friends. It was so good to have this catch up with each other!




I have been blessed to have many good people in my life, many of whom are you.   God has been very good to me by surrounding me with only the best.  I hope that I am also a good friend in return.  I can tell you one thing, I am a praying friend and I carry my friends daily in my heart.




Sunny, warmer days. We have been enjoying some lovely weather. It is cloudy today, and we have had some rain, but we need that also. We don't want a repeat of the fires we had last year. My bleeding heart is pushing up beautifully and I see the buds of tiny flowers forming.  Other things are coming up as well. The leaves are unfurling on the maple tree. No hummingbird has been sighted yet, but I know it won't be long now!  I am ready! 






This came up on my Facebook memories yesterday. It is a wee painting I did 11 years ago when I was home when mom had her cancer operation. I did not know then that it would be the last time that I got to spend time with my mother. I am so grateful for that time, even if she was in hospital for most of it. It is also 11 years since Cindy moved down to Nova Scotia to take care of mom.  We will forever be grateful for her loving service to mom and to dad.





I had a very quiet day yesterday. I had some indigestion so I did not go anywhere after church.  I just came home and relaxed. Had an early shower, put on my pj's watched television with the cats for company. I like to have a quiet day every now and then.  I watched that film on Prime with Anne Hathaway, The Idea of You. I quite enjoyed it. It was about an older woman and a much younger man falling in love. (I am NOT looking for love, not with an older man or a younger man.) But it was a nice movie and I enjoyed it.

Funny how when an older man has a much younger woman for his partner, nobody thinks anything about it at all, but when it is the other way around, people can get very nasty. Its not right.

And with that I will leave you with a thought for the day  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~
\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
 *.˛.How wonderful it is that nobody
need wait a single moment before
starting to improve the world.
~Anne Frank° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 






In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Chip Shop Curry Sauce.  A delicious fakeaway that is so tasty on chips. I had some on my air fryer chips last week. Tasty perfection! 



I hope your week ahead is filled with a multitude of small and wonderful things that bring you oodles of Joy!  Whatever the week holds for you, don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

12 comments:

  1. It is a lovely sunny day today after rain yesterday. I thought Cindy has always lived in Nova Scotia even though I remember you mentioning she had moved here to look after your mom. Cats always like boxes and bags. That box looks like the perfect resting spot for your cat. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both grew up in Nova Scotia for the most part (our teen years) but she left to live in Ontario when she got married and had lived there since the mid 70's. Her partner was willing to give up everything and move back here with her to take care of mom. It was a great blessing to us all. Nutmeg had a great time in the box! xoxo

      Delete
  2. We actually enjoyed that movie..At the onset I thought this is not for me..after they got out of Coachella..I liked it.AH looks fantastic..lol.I had read in many posts that she is not nice in peson..she seems nice to me..Pinned your curry sauce..who knows..:) If I get around to it..
    How fun for your son! And HB to your 18 yr olD:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that movie. Like you, at the beginning I thought maybe not and switched it off, but went back later and fell in love with it! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Here on the west coast we have hummingbirds stay year round. It gets a bit hard when temperatures drop below freezing and I worry about the poor little guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine how cold it must be for them! Brrr. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Our hummers have lessened a lot now perhaps since flowers are blooming but we still have orioles at the feeders. We had lots of strawberries and I made your not a pie or cake recipe - turned out so well. We are enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We pretty much get them all summer at our feeders. I am so pleased you made that recipe and enjoyed it! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hope Anthony's and friend's new business goes very well...sounds most yummy!! We have frequented places that sold very few items in past years, but those items were the best you could buy!! You don't need a huge menu if making super yummy items I think!!
    Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it does as well. They sold out on the first day so, that was promising Elizabeth!! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday to Jon! Best of luck to your son’s new venture and have a most lovely day. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!