Saturday 25 May 2024

All Things Nice . . .

 


I was a child -- not long ago
I heard the pipes from Elfland blow,
And waded brooks and little streams,
Lived half the day in golden dreams,
Chased butterflies across the moors,
And loved the blessed out-of-doors.

Made daisy chains and ran tip-toe
To find the place where shadows go;
Watched from a window tall and thin
To see my father's ship come in,
Picking its dainty right-o-way
Down the blue waters of the Bay.

Went with others to explore
The little coves along the shore,
Poked sticks at sea anemones,
Made little houses in the trees,
And ate our lunches crisp and sweet,
With sand piled up to warm our feet.

We let our childish fancies weave
A lovely world of make believe,
Where fairies lived and saucy elves
Danced in moonlight by themselves,
Among the ferns and lacy shade
A pair of playful moon-beams made.

They tell me -- those who really know,
That in the fields of long ago,
The fairies still hold happy jinks,
Among the daffodils and pinks,
And children -- if they're very good,
Catch glimpses of them in the wood.
~Edna Jacques, I was a Child
The Hills of Home, 1952


Another sunny day in the offing here. Its not yet gone 7 a.m. and it is already +11*F.  The perfect warm day to explore the countryside.  I do not know what children do these days, but when I was a child, we were relatively free to roam about the countryside. Hike in the woods, explore the realms of fairies, hoping to catch a glimpse.  

I was well versed in the fairy stories of Enid Blyton and I can remember firmly believing that fairies did exist. I would take them out from the local library and devour them from cover to cover.  I longed to catch a glimpse of one. 

I remember watching a musical on the television, black and white in those days  . . .  of Peter Pan with Mary Martin playing Peter and her coming close to the television screen at the end and asking, "Do you believe in fairies?"   . . .  a plea to bring Tinkerbell back to life and I remember shouting back, "I do!  I do believe in fairies!"  And then . . .  just like magic  . . .  Tinkerbell came back to life.

 

 

I would spend hours when I was not in school, exploring the woods near our home looking for treasures and signs of fairy life in the underbrush.  Climbing trees. Looking for wild flowers and fairy circles.  Sometimes I would see lady slippers and even then  . . .  I knew enough not to pick them . . . those little boots . . .  empty and left behind by dainty feet that rushed away at the sound of my arrival.  Were they hidden in the bushes watching?  I liked to think that they were.

One of my favorite childhood memories is of a picnic my friend Cindy and I took one hot Saturday. We rode our bicycles up the road to Tremont, which was quite a hike as it was uphill all the way on a winding country road.  I remember sitting on a hill overlooking the tiny Baptist church there while we ate our peanut butter sandwiches and sipped cool-aid from glass jars, all hot and sweaty from the exertion that it had taken to get us there.  Oh the dreams we had and shared . . . 

And then,  the trip back down the mountain afterwards, soaring down the winding road, legs outstretched as our bicycles gained momentum in the downward climb, the wind blowing our hair back as the hum of cicadas filled the hot air.

Cindy passed away  about 2 years ago now, from a brain tumor. She was the daughter of Mr. McGregor who used to live across from me. He passed about 18 months ago now.  I have only a few childhood friends left now, many having gone on before me, but I think of them still and enjoy tip toing again with them through the pages of my memory.


 

I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. 
They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make. 
Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. 
We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been 
enriched by having shared their love.
~Leo Buscaglia


Memories are wonderful things.   They give us roses in December. I sometimes will find myself sitting in my chair gazing out the window as I stroke one of my cats, thinking back on people I knew and loved, and who are no longer with us. Doing so always brings a smile to my heart.  No life is wasted as has touched our own for good, and my life has been touched by some of the best people. I think of them often and always with love.


 

Yesterday afternoon, Cindy and I took a little jaunt just down the road from where I live. We had read about this new produce and meat market which had opened up there and we wanted to see what it was like. They did have some lovely looking meat.  We each picked up a pound of fresh ground beef to try.  They said it was local and grass fed.  It was lovely and lean and a beautiful natural color, not that artificial red that you see in the shops. I froze most of mine after taking out enough to make myself a burger for my supper last night.  It was really good. Lean and with a nice flavor. I would buy it again. 

They also had some nice looking homemade sausage in a variety of flavors, smoked pork chops, etc. Not a lot of veg at the moment, but the growing season isn't yet upon us. They were quite busy when we were there, so they seem to be quite popular.  I hope that they do well.  It is hard to get a business up and running in today's economy.  We need to support our local businesses as much as we can.



 




Lord, it’s easy to love those who love me, 
but I need help to love the difficult 
and unlovable. 

 Could they be the ones 
You’ve called me to love most? 

 Remind me when I forget.. 
 Remind me at my weakest.. 

 I choose to be gentle. 
I choose compassion. 
I choose to be kind. 

 I choose the way of love. 
~Neva


Oh why is it so hard to love some people . . .  and yet  . . .  we are called to love all, and to pray for those who despitefully use us. It is a great challenge at times. Especially when someone has deeply hurt us.  It is our natural instinct to want to hurt back . . . but I can say with a surety that to do so will not bring  any joy into our lives. 


May my hands always place a tender touch. May they guide softly and with kindness, those whom I love. I choose gentleness for nothing is won by force. When I don’t understand and rush to wrong conclusions… I pray my heart will remember the tenderness of grace realizing, I may not see the whole, but only a part, and therefore extend to others, grace of my own.


 
(source)


I am going to go shopping with Cindy this morning. She always shops for my father and for herself on Saturday mornings. I don't really need much, if anything, but I like to tag along for the drive and to get out of the house.  Its also some exercise to walk around the grocery store.  I like to look and see what they have. We never go to just one place. We make the rounds.  Super Store, Giant Tiger, Wal Mart, Sobey's.  Sometimes we go to Dollarama. 

Of course we plan it all around the availability of toilets.  When you reach a certain age and have had a certain number of children, the bladder ain't what it used to be.   I do not like the public toilets in the Super Store. They are quite often dirty and they always smell.  I also don't like using communal toilets. I much prefer having a separate ladies and gents.  Not to insult any gentlemen out there, but  . . . if you are a lady,  you will know what I mean.  The ladies toilets at the mall are always impeccable, so are the ones in Wal Mart, and of course separate.  It does make a difference.


 


I have my mother's bible and my great grandmother's also.  I suspect, unless my brother wants it, I may one day have my father's as well.  I also have several of my own.  I have an old pink one that is fairly falling apart, it has been cracked open so many times. My mother's and great grandmother's are worn a bit, having been often used and read.  I don't think my father ever opens his and yet he keeps it close.  It is important to him that it is there. 

There have been many times in my life when I have wanted   . . .  needed  . . .  the comfort of the holy word.  I know that if I open it just to any page I will find sustenance for my soul.   Comfort.  Peace.  Answers.  Inspiration.  Food for the soul.

And with that I best leave you with a thought for today as time is marching on . . . 

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.Sometimes the most honest prayers
we can pray are the ones that sound like,
"This is hard. I am tired. Please help."
~Ashley Morgan Jackson  ° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 





In The English Kitchen today  . . .  a delicious Refrigerator Pie,  Hot Fudge Marshmallow Refrigerator Pie. This is fabulous!  A delicious hot fudge chocolate base, topped with a light and fluffy marshmallow filling.  Oh boy, some good! It is easy to make ahead and will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week.


I hope that you have a beautiful Saturday. Whatever you get up to be happy.  Be safe and be kind.  Have a very nice day. Don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

  

And I do too!
    

   

12 comments:

  1. Memories are so important the older we get. I think that is why I like researching Ancestry, gives me a chance to remember and also to wonder what it was like in days gone by. Have a lovely outing with Cindy. I like the toilets at Giant Tiger, you have to ask for them to be opened and they are always clean. Saturday is laundry day here, it looks to be a nice drying day outside. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spend a lot of my time in my head Linda, lol Not sure if that is a good thing or not! I did use the toilet at GT the other day and it was amazingly clean! I was very impressed! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Children don't seem to do what we did younger..I too played in the woods..now ticks worry parents and children..even gardening one of my daughters fears ticks.I know how they can change a life in one instant and often hope there are none on me while gardening:( Plus phones etc..have kept kids indoors..in a lot of cases.
    Have fun with Cindy.. how nice to have each other.Hopping on to tell you your food pics are so nice bright and clear:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ticks are a great concern these days. I hope none are on you when you are gardening as well! Thanks so much for your words re my photos! I am trying and that phone helps so much! xoxo

      Delete
  3. It's been lovely here so far. This pie sounds delightful!! I've been up and made some marinated tomatoes and cucumbers in Greek Yogurt. Trying to get ahead of the game for Monday. Not doing anything very special, just barbecuing hot dogs for us. We'll have some nice salads and maybe some corn. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you had some lovely plans for Monday! I hope you had a great weekend Raquel! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Many wonderful parts to comfort us in the Bible...whatever I would have done without those David wrote I do not know....Hubby currently has the recording on, done by the Scotland kids choir: The Lord of Sea and Sky...you add music to the Bible and what more could we ask for? I also have been so grateful to have the book of Job to read...which so proves that our sorrows do not mean we are unrighteous necessarily...sometimes the best of mankind are allowed by GOD to suffer incredible grief. All we can do is continue on until we reach the next life and be grateful for the helpful things we have eh? You are right that responding in kind to the wicked, helps no one. It does show the emptiness of their hearts to want to harm others. Sad for them really...all things will likely come around to them at some point in life. If nothing else they are teaching their children how they want to be treated...too bad. Hang in there Marie!! Keep on keeping on...have fun with sister and dad today!!
    Elizabeth xo
    Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! We think along the same lines! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Have a nice day with Cindy, it’s lovely to be able to share chores and events and meals. Memories…I have so many happy ones also…… arent we very blessed ?….enjoy making new ones and happy weekend. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much V! We are indeed blessed! I hope you had a lovely weekend! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Dear Marie, your writing is a joy in a world that sometimes is a challenge to live in. You are appreciated very much. It would have been wonderful to ride up the hill with a good friend and picnic and just explore the woods. I had that experience too, but I explored alone, and found exquisite moss, grass, and spicy leaves. Once when I was watering the deep growing and green lirope that ran along the fence in my garden, I saw the trail of what may have been a fairy. It was a warm day, and, as the cold spray of the water first touched the lirope, something that I could not see, but what made a sliding ripple through the air came flying out of the lirope and dashed away from the water spray. A garden club that was to come and photograph a double daylilly bloom that had sprouted in the garden didn't show up after I shared over the phone what I had just seen. What wonders are around us in nature, and what beauty there is and love freely given in this world! We are all blessed, everone of us, even those who are unaware. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You do me an honor. How wonderful that you saw something like that. Your garden club missed out on something really special! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!