Wednesday 4 January 2023

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 

 


Do you do resolutions?  I don't. I used to, for years and years, make New Year's resolutions, but I used to, for years and years, break New Year's resolutions as well!!  Suffice it to say, I am no good at keeping resolutions.

New page, new year, we all have the desire to do better, be better, etc. But I have found that starting off my year with resolutions only sets me up for failure, which is definitely not on my list of things I want to indulge in when it comes to a new year!

The only resolutions I make with any regularity is to be kinder, to be a better person tomorrow than I was today . . . and that is a resolution I make every night when I go to bed and say my prayers. I like to think that most of the time I do well with that!  But, as I am an imperfect being, sometimes I don't!

And I am okay with that! So long as you are trying, nobody can bring fault.


 

My daughter in law gave me several cardigans for Christmas (this is not them.)  One is a Navy and White Fair Isle kind of a cardi and the other a lovely pale pink one.  I adore cardigans.  I ended up leaving all of mine in the UK as I could only fit so much in my cases. I am slowly going to build them up again. In the winter months I like to wear a cardigan in the house, to layer up. Nothing keeps you warmer, and if you feel too hot at any point, you can always take it off.

Many, many years ago I knit my mother a black cardigan.  Back when I thought I could knit, lol.  Bless her heart she never said anything about my lack of skills, but she also never wore it. It remained in her closet in a plastic bag.  She never used any of the things that we gave to her.  She was always keeping them for new, for a special occasion.  Or so she said.

I resolve to use all that I have, or else why have it. If you are not using it, then its ultimately a waste.



Today is the Birthday of each my first and my second husbands.  Yes, born on the same day, in the same year in two separate locations.  I used to joke that if Todd had been born on the same day, I would have discounted him right off the bat, because, clearly, people born on the 4th of January are not a good fit for me.

But it turns out that men, full stop, are not a good fit for me! I am not sure why that is.  I just have appalling taste in men. I have never been able to pick a winner in that area of my life and so now I have given up on that idea. 

I enjoy my own company actually.  I don't really need a man to complete my life. I think my life is pretty perfect just as it is without any additions required.


 

I like this color of blue on a house or a cottage.  I could quite happily live with it.  Not too far from where I live someone has painted their house the most awful color of blue. It is not a color of blue that I had ever imagined a house being. It's pretty bright.  In fact, it slaps you in the face every time you drive by it.  And it's in a beautiful location overlooking the river. It used to be one of the Valley's classier Inns and Dining rooms. Now it is a private residence.

I ate there once, many years ago. It was quite an expensive place to eat. My sister-in-law took us there for lunch. An earwig crawled across my plate.  I wasn't overly impressed, lol.

I can only think that the present owners had not realized what the color would look like before they started painting it, and once they were committed, they were too far in to change their minds, so now have to live with it. 

 

I started reading Jane Eyre yesterday.  I don't think I have ever ready anything but the condensed version which was attached to our Encyclopedia when I was growing up, and of course, I have seen films based on the book many times. It is not a bad thing to read more of the classics, or to revisit them from time to time. 

Originally written in three volumes in the early 1800's it was called Jane Eyre, an autobiography and was written under the pseudonym Currer Bell.  We all know that it was Charlotte Bronte now, but back then women writers were not really valued, and so many women used pseudonyms rather than their real names.

I'll be honest. I've read only Chapter one and so far, it is not holding my interest as I thought it would have done. Sigh . . . I won't give up just yet.


 

The restaurant that I meet my father and friends in each week is open again now, after having been closed all through Christmas. I will be meeting them there today for supper. Last week they went to Greenwood for a Chinese, but I didn't want to be driving all the way back home in the dark afterwards. It's quite a distance and I am terrified of hitting a deer. The normal restaurant is right the other end of the town that I live in and not so far to go in the dark. I am quite looking forward to seeing the two ladies and spending the time with my dad.



I had bought a set of cat grooming mitts on Amazon. The minute I go near the cats with the mitts on, they high tail it. They don't like them at all. Has anyone else had this experience? I thought that they would be better than the brush which doesn't seem to collect much hair at all.


 

It is a dull and rainy day out there again today.  It's not overly cold, but it expected to turn into a wintery mix overnight, and on into Thursday.  I had wanted to go to Walmart tomorrow, but I may end up having to go today because I cannot rely on the weather being fit for driving tomorrow. I have my liver scan early in the morning on Friday. 7:15 a.m. So quite early to be out and about. I didn't even wake up until 7 this morning. I really slept in today. 

I hope that I wake up in time on Friday. I will have to set an alarm on my phone or something. I don't have an alarm clock.  I never need one most of the time. I usually just wake up normally.  I have not used an alarm clock in years.  Normally I am up by 5:30 or 6:00 most mornings. 

I wasn't feeling really well last night and so went to bed by 8:30. I watched tv in bed on my iPad until about 1 a.m. so that is probably why I was so late getting up.  I feel like I could go back to bed now as well, lol

What a lazy bone I am turning into!

I might bake a loaf of bread today. We'll see. If I am going out for supper, I won't really need any bread today so I might wait until tomorrow.

Well, I have prattled on long enough this day and not said anything of any importance so I will leave you with a thought for today . . . 


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
  ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*.˛Every act of love
is a work of peace
no matter how small.
~Mother Teresa•。★★ 。* 。




Baking in The English Kitchen today . . . Maple Bran Muffins. Naturally sweetened with maple syrup and containing no fat, these medium sized muffins are fabulously tasty!


I hope you have a lovely day filled with lots of the things you care about.  Stay warm and safe.  Don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!       

9 comments:

  1. My resolution is not to make resolutions. I take each day as it comes and make the most of it. We are heading out for breakfast soon and then the library. Freezing rain warning for late tonight and overnight so probably won't head out tomorrow. Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Linda. I think I am on the same page as you are in this!! Stay safe and stay warm! xoxo

      Delete
  2. How thoughtful of your daughter-in -law..No resolutions here..I get more filled with hope:)And wishes..;)Have a good day..same weather forecast here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some very good daughters in law. My sons married well. You have a good day also! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Yea, I am not a resolution maker either...other than maybe to try to not walk down a path that was hard in the past...but that is not a positive one. I agree, we need try our best each day. Lovely of your daughter-in-law to give you such a nice gift!!
    And really Marie, I think it is not you that never picked good husbands but somehow a good man never found you...that is how I feel about my daughters...one had 2 evil men and the other has never married, in part never wanting to find herself in a situation like her sister. I still feel there are a great many more good women than good men...thus there is not enough to go around. And I feel that the super wonderful men are in such low supply as to almost not exist anymore. At least I have never known of one so super as my beloved grandpa was...not a one...and I am 70 years old now. I am relieved you are doing so well and not being used by evil men anymore...you are too good a person for such!!
    hugs, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Daughter in law is a sweet girl. She and my son have been together since High School. Whatever it is, I will never marry or get involved with a man again Elizabeth. Sad I missed the boat on that one, but it is what it is. I do have some lovely children to show for it. xoxo

      Delete
  4. No resolutions here either, Marie. Just try to do better every day. Day by day.
    If the kitties don't like the glove, maybe they would tolerate a comb - I have a nice, curved kitty comb that mine loves. It's plastic. And just can't think of the name of it, but it came through good old Amazon.I just looked it up and it's called the Cat Hair Removal Massaging Shell Comb. If you google that, it should come up. My boy likes it very much and he's sometimes a scary cat like your boy. Comes in pretty pastel colors. Not sold in stores.
    Have a nice dinner out.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check that out Mary! I will order one for the cats. They see the mitt and they take off running. It really spooks them for some reason! xoxo

      Delete
  5. I'm all done with dieting as well Becky! All they have ever done is make me fatter. I am who I am! I am trying to manage my income better also. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!