Monday 9 January 2023

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.


 


I've had a few sad days of late. I know, I really have nothing to be sad about. I have a really nice life without anything to really complain about.  Every so often though, things from the past cloud my mind and I just feel really sad for a bit. Most of the time I can just push those thoughts away, but occasionally they stick for more than an instant and I cannot push them away immediately.  So, I have a bit of a blubber.  I don't think it's healthy to ignore the feelings altogether.  You need to acknowledge them and then just let them go.  I used to have those moments far more frequently, but they are now coming fewer and farther between, so that's a good thing.  Perhaps I will always have them from time to time?  I don't know.  But I do know that it's okay to feel sad now and then and to acknowledge your feelings.  What's not okay is to dwell in that space, and so I don't. Some days are just sad days. I think we all have them.





I love my early morning cuddles. Some mornings I will take myself back to bed for 15 minutes or so.  Just for a cuddle.  Nutmeg usually comes and joins me.  Cinnamon, not so much. She is not much of a cuddler, but she will from time to time. Mostly it is just Nutty.  I love those moments. But then again, I love my cats full stop! 

Little Mac was so funny at supper time last night. I was at my sister's. There was an empty chair at the table and little Mac was on it. It was pushed right up to the table so he couldn't actually see or get on the table. But his paw kept coming up and waving around. It was so cute.  And then a bit later we looked over and there he was flat on his back on the carpet, his two front paws pulled up in front of himself, his tummy fully exposed. He was so cute.

I think animals add a wonderful dimension to our lives. I would not want to be without one.





I started watching a program on YouTube about Beatrix Potter, hosted by Patricia Routledge (Hyacinth Bucket) yesterday afternoon. It was quite good. I had to quite watching it about halfway through as I was going to my sister's place, but I will finish it today. If you are a fan of Beatrix Potter, you will probably love to watch the program as well.

Aren't we lucky to have things like YouTube to keep us occupied and entertained from time to time.  I have the app on my television and quite often watch programs on there.  I will probably get rid of my cable tv once my contract is up as I never watch regular tv, just streaming. 





I think a lot about the different names that Jesus was referred by in the scriptures.  I have found that doing so really does help me to feel closer to him.  Often when I am waiting for the Sacrament to be passed, I ponder on these names in my mind, and I feel close to Him. I just sit there and reflect on each one as they come to mind. Wonderful counsellor, Living Water, Bread of Life, Rabbi, Emmanuel, First Born, Son of God, Son of Man, Law of Moses, etc. Thinking on those names and then on what they mean to me. It's a wonderful exercise.


 


Every day may not be a good day, but there is good in every day. I believe that and I make it a point at the end of each day to thank my Heavenly Father for all the good I have found in each day, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem.  Gratitude makes a huge difference in the living of one's life.


 


Isn't this beautiful.  This photo is a reminder to me that beauty can be found anywhere anytime and in all circumstances.  I am sure these seed pods were beautiful when they were ripe and, in their glory, but now . . . spent and wasted away . . . I think they have taken on another form of beauty.  It is the same with us in the seasons of our lives.  There is beauty to be embraced every step of the way. It always saddens me a tiny bit to see older people, women especially, trying to hang on to their youth for dear life, especially when they have one plastic surgery after another in that quest.  They end up looking like caricatures.  I think women like Jamie Lee Curtis who are embracing their "older" selves are a true inspiration. 

I hate seeing life through filters.  I think reality is much better and more honest.
  



This is my grandson Josh. It's his birthday today. He is 14 today.  I love this photograph of him. He looks so happy. He is usually very camera shy. He's such a sweet boy and so smart. He loves scientific facts and knows quite a few.  I loved baking cookies with him when they were here with me back in November.  I love all of my grandchildren.  I love spending time with all of them. I hope that Josh has a very happy 14th birthday! Happy Birthday Josh!


I am running out of time now. I need to get my skates on and get some stuff done around here. I can't sit here playing forever so I will leave you with a thought for today  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *Occasionally weep deeply
over the life you hoped would be.
Grieve the losses.
Then wash your face. Trust God.
And embrace the life you have.
~John Piper•。★★ 。* 





In The English Kitchen today . . .  Cinnamon Pecan Coffee Cake, the small batch.  Delicious.

I hope your week ahead is filled with a multitude of small and wonderful things! Whatever you get up to, don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too! 
 

14 comments:

  1. All emotions should be recognized, they all help us grow as a person. Recognize sadness, then move on. Hoping Monday is a good day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think many feel blue right now..You just had a surge of happy times.. always a little let down after..You will be fine..we all forge forward:)Or try ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is very easy to feel blue in January Monique! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on plastic surgery.. I find they look alike..Marie Osmond..Marlo Thomas.. why?The list gets longer every day..Many very young women get into it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish people would grow old naturally. There is something very beautiful about a woman and face that has lived life honestly. xoxo

      Delete
  4. I find that emotions come and go...sometimes without knowing what causes it at the time. By this age, most of us have had some pretty tough things to navigate, and often still are. I just heard this weekend that one of my cousins, a dear sweet guy, just had a massive heart attack and died. He was only 59 and other than some allergies, had good health, so it was thought. Life is short and it is hard. Perhaps life being hard so much is how it was meant to be...I do wonder. Oh well, gives one more hope for the next life. Treat yourself well, Marie...glad you have the comforting pets!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Elizabeth. Life is short and hard. Yes, much hope is found in pondering the life to come! Love you! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hi Marie. I agree: we all need to have a blubber sometimes then move on. It's good for our mental health to let it go. And like you, I'm living on a low fixed-income; I gave up my cable TV and onlly use Netflix, Prime and the free portion of CBC Gem (which has some great British programming). The only thing I miss about cable is the access to news. But I'm still learning how to find out what I need to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy! So good to hear from you! Tammy made it here to Canada with me by the way. I just need to get motivated and start sewing again! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Sometimes you just need to up the self-care to get you through the sad days. You'll rebound. Loved the Beatrix Potter video. And that coffee cake sure looks good. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Elaine! I thought you might enjoy that video! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  7. That's good advice from John Piper.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!