Monday 3 January 2022

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 
 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard


A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.   
 



My day started off with cuddles with this one.  Cinnamon.  She has become more affectionate as of late.  Out of the two cats she is the most inquisitive. She is the one I am always having to rescue from behind the washer and dryer, inside cubby holes, etc.  Whereas Nutmeg is led by his stomach, she is led by her nose and she loves exploring.  This often leads to her finding herself in a difficult situation that she needs rescuing from.  She does like to lay on her back on my chest and have me rub her belly. She purrs the whole time. I rub her paws also, which she likes.  She has the most striking color of the two.  She is not as in your face as Nutmeg. She has a quiet presence, which is quite endearing in and of itself. 



This guy is a presence not to be ignored and up for a cuddle any time of the day.  My sister calls him a Ham.  And he is a bit of a Ham to be sure.  He is a bit of a bumbler.   Very endearing.  A follower rather than a leader, but quite affectionate as well.  Often when I am trying to type on my lap top he snuggles up next to me and then try's to pull the hand closest to him away and towards himself, as if to say, pet me. No type. Pet me.  That makes it a bit hard sometimes to get my work done, but  . . .  how can I resist such a little charmer??? 


I love the sound of their little feet padding across my floors and the little chirps and purrs they emit when they are excited.  They delight me. I love them. They love me.


 

A new year.  A fresh page to write upon.  What will my story be.  I hope and pray that it is filled with good things, simple pleasures, small blessings.  Love. Hope. Health. Peace.  Comfort. Joy.   I have been praying nightly to have more of the power of Discernment and for the will to follow my promptings and inner feelings.  That means when I need to make a choice or  decision, I need to follow that inner voice which always tells me if something is right or wrong. 

For instance the Missionaries were going to come over tomorrow and help me get my printer back up and printing, but the more I think about it, the more uncomfortable I am about it.  Covid you know. Our numbers increase exponentially every day and while I want my printer up and running again, I am not sure I am willing to risk getting Covid to do so.  We have to be so careful.  I keep getting the feeling that having them come is not right at this  moment. Perhaps if I was already boostered I would feel more confident about it.  My powers of discernment are telling me to cancel the visit and I will today.

It is not enough to merely have the power of Discernment. You also need to follow your promptings.



I have always, always wanted a Brown Betty Tea Pot. A Brown Betty is a type of teapot, round and with a manganese brown glaze known as Rockingham glaze. The original teapots came from a red clay that was discovered in the Stoke-on-Trent area of Britain, in 1695  

In Victorian times, when tea was at its peak of popularity, tea brewed in the Brown Betty was considered excellent. This was attributed to the design of the pot which allowed the tea leaves more freedom to swirl around as the water was poured into the pot, releasing more flavor with less bitterness. (source Wikipedia

I decided to buy myself a Christmas present this year and I bought myself a two cup Brown Betty. 




A bit of an indulgence on  my part, as I don't really drink a lot of tea and then only herbal ones, but that is what a gift is supposed to be.  An indulgence.  And so I caved and got myself one.  Something which I will love and that I have always wanted.  Plus the "Tea Cozy" fits on it perfectly as it should do.  

This is a part of my desire and goal to only have in my home things which bring me joy and comfort. It does.


 

My Bible study is off to a good start. Start as you mean to go on.  This last week we were studying in the book of Moses and Abraham.  They are not actually in the Bible, but in what is called The Pearl of Great Price.  This coming week we actually begin studying in the Old Testament. 

There are people who would judge the Pearl of Great Price as hokum, but I am not one of them. I think there is a lot to be learned about  who we are and what our purpose is in life from them.

Anyways, I am off to a good start.   
 

 

I love my tea cup, a gift from Elaine. I love LOVE the colors and the pattern.  I also love the shape.  My sister and I plan on painting it this week.  Well, not the cup itself, but a painting of the cup, lol.   There is so much there. Polka dots. Stripes. Gilt edging.  The shape itself.  It will be a fun exercise and a great addition to our painting journals!




Now begins the months of cozy. Winter.  The months where we can get an immense sense of comfort and coziness within the walls of where we choose to call home.  There is nothing really pressing outside our doors to call to us unless we need it to.  I am blessed to be able to work from within my own home. Other than forays out to bring in supplies and or spend time with family, I can stay right here.  

I thought I would be lonely, but I am not.  I have always been comfortable with my own company. I don't get bored. Sometimes I feel a bit sad or maudlin, but that is only natural I think. We all feel those things from time to time. Those feelings do not linger. I have plenty enough to occupy myself. I am quite blessed in that way. 

Now is when I avail myself of the nuts I gathered from the warmer months, and live off their comfort.  Its not a bad thing, really. There is much to look forward to.   

 

And now I must be off here. The animals in the zoo are rattling the cage.



A thought to carry with you . . .
 
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *The struggle you are in today
is creating the strength
you need tomorrow.•。★★ 。* 。 


As I look back on the year that was, I am pleased with how far I have come, and all that I have accomplished.  There are some who would have loved to have seen me fail and fall.  I have surprised them all.  It is not what happens to you that counts near as much as how you react to it, and the impetus it gives you for growth.  I have grown. 



In The English Kitchen today, Simple Scalloped Potatoes. This recipe uses only 3 ingredients.  A white potato, a sweet potato and cream. Oh, there is seasoning of course, but isn't there seasoning in everything?  Quite simply delicious. 

I hope the week ahead, this first one of 2022 is filled with lots of small and wonderful things. Be happy, be blessed, be safe, be healthy and don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!





8 comments:

  1. Marie it seems to me your life is far richer and happier here.
    And I am glad.
    Love the teapot..teacup..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! My life is fuller for sure in many, many ways. It would be a lot better without Covid for sure, but wouldn't everyone's! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I'm excited today, Marie, because Amazon has promised delivery of your new book by 10:00 pm tonight. Can't wait to get it. Wise decision to cancel the visit. Better to be safe. We get our booster tomorrow. Glad you liked the cup and saucer. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Elaine, I really hope that you like it! Good luck with your Booster. I hope that you don't feel any side effects from it! Over 1000 new cases here today. This is getting scarier! I adore that cup and saucer!! It is one of my favorite things! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  3. Lovely teapot and cup. I just started a jigsaw puzzle of all teacups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I bet that jigsaw is a bit of a challenge! My sister and her partner do jigsaws as well! xoxo

      Delete
  4. More and more people are using caution on what they do and where they go. I'm finding staying at home by myself is best for me. You are blessed to have such great company with your cozy coddlers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't be too careful Pam! I wish we did not have to go out to the shops here. It would be so much better if we could have home delivery! God bless! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!