Wednesday 5 January 2022

Wednesday wanderings . . .

 


"Bare branches of each tree 
on this chilly January morn 
look so cold so forlorn. 
Gray skies dip ever so low 
left from yesterday's dusting of snow. 
Yet in the heart of each tree 
waiting for each who wait to see 
new life as warm sun and breeze will blow, 
like magic, unlock springs sap to flow, 
buds, new leaves, then blooms will grow." 
~Nelda Hartmann, January Morn

I read this this morning and was reminded of the Camelia bush that lay outside the front door of my English house and how already the buds of bloom on it would be swelling and becoming tinged with pink.  A reminder that Winter does not last forever.

I was up ever so late this morning. I never got out of bed until gone 7:30!  That is way late for me who is usually up by 5:30 or so.  I can only think I must have really needed the extra sleep.  

My father has been getting me to call him on the phone at 7:30 every morning to wake him up.  I had to rush to get it done this morning!  He says he sleeps better knowing that someone is going to wake him up. Otherwise he is worried he won't wake up in time to get ready to go and get his morning coffee and toast at the A&W.  He is very much a creature of habit, but aren't we all!  We like what we like!


 


I could hear the crows crying in the back garden. They sit in the maple tree out there and chant at the house.  They have gotten used to me throwing out stale rolls and such. This morning it was the last of the coffee and walnut cakes.  They are sure to find them a real treat with their nuts and sweet icing on top.  I know they would probably benefit from better choices than that. I need to get some suet cakes for all the birds.  

Many years ago when I was living on the edge of a marsh in New Brunswick I used to see a great many variety of birds outside my windows of a day.  We had big French Doors in our dining room that led to the outside deck and I had feeders out there.  I often sat at the table writing or reading and watching them. It brought me many hours of joy.

One time I was down in the laundry room and there was a whole flock of snow buntings outside the window.  That was very exciting as they were not something I had ever seen before.   This was before the days of people having the internet in their home so I had to do a lot of research in my bird books to figure out what they actually were.

I loved that little house of mine.  We had a woodstove in the family room basement which heated the whole house. It was beautifully cozy.  I miss having a wood stove. 


 

Another house that we lived in had an old Mennonite cook stove in the dining room area of the kitchen.  That was really cozy as well.  We kept that going all Winter. It was also the only source of heat in that house as the furnace didn't really work that well and we were afraid to use it.    I used to cook with it and we had a line strung up to dry clothes behind it as well.  It was my favorite thing about that house, probably my only favorite thing about that house. 

I have lived in many houses through the years.  All of them became homes.  A home is not the building you live in but is created by the souls who inhabit it.  

I love my little cozy home here in Nova Scotia as well. It may only be myself who lives in it, but those two furry little bodies that keep me company really add to the feeling of comfort.  That was such a wise choice on my part to add them to my family.

Nutmeg recovered beautifully from his surgery. Next week is Cinnamon's turn. I know it is a much more invasive surgery for her so I am hoping and praying that she will do likewise.  She really is a sweet little cat. 



She is about half the size of Nutmeg, and has such a pretty coat.  The colors are like marmalade.  In fact she is called a marmalade tabby, at least that is what the Vet told me.  Nutmeg is a mackerel.  Several times a day if I am sitting she climbs onto me and lays on my chest, getting me to rub her tummy and paws.  She purrs the whole time. Her purrs are interrupted with little chirps. of contentment. Often it turns into a needle massage with me being the recipient.  I haven't the heart to stop her, even though it does hurt a bit. She is so sweet.

My cousin sent me a video of their brother Nugget playing in her kitchen sink yesterday.  He looks very much like Cinnamon.  Nutmeg does the same thing with the water bowl. He loves to play in it.   He also has a plastic flossing thingie that he loves to dance across the floor. 




I had a really nice facetime call with Ariana and the two girls a couple days ago.  Grace is so sweet. She looks like a real little girl now, not so much a toddler and Ivy is so adorable.  Ariana has her hands full for sure. Her mom has been there helping her out.  I love Ariana's mom. She is always so happy to see me and so friendly even though she can't really speak English and I can't really speak Spanish.  Ariana will really miss her when she goes back to Spain.  It was really nice to spend that time with Ariana. Because of Covid I haven't really had a chance to make a group of friends here in Canada.  I miss that.  I have never thought of myself as a really sociable person, but I guess I am in a way.  

I do very much  like to interact with people on a one to one basis. 

Well, I know I have not said a lot this morning, but time's a wasting.  I am planning on meeting my dad for fish and chips later today and I wanted to bring him some homemade jam jams so I best get off here and get started on my real day. I can't sit in my pajamas forever!

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.Nature has undoubtedly mastered
the art of Winter gardening and even
the most experienced gardener
can learn from the 
unrestrained beauty around them.
~Vincent A Simeone•。★★ 。* 。 


 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Mediterranean Style Marinated Chicken.  This is quite simply delicious.  I have fallen in love with it! 

I hope you have a wonderful day!  Stay safe and stay warm!  Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!  
     





10 comments:

  1. The girls are so cute..all 3..I am a one on one too:)Maybe that's why my career suited me I worked w/ one couple ..one person at a time:)
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I liked working as a chef for a family as well Monique. Did the restaurant thing years ago, busy, busy, busy and so much politics. I prefer one on one and quiet. We are two birds of a feather! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Lovely picture of Ariana, Grace and Ivy. You must miss them. Enjoy your fish and chips with your dad. Did you read Susan's new post? Hope they don't have to cancel their trip to England on May 1st. Lovely pictures of Susan, Joe and Jack. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine. They are three pretty gals! I did read Susan's post yet, but didn't get a chance to comment yet. I hope they don't have to cancel their trip as well, but who knows. Everything is so up in the air with the virus. You just think you are making headway and bang!! It slaps us again! I loved the photos she shared. I felt her sadness and also her joy. So pleased Joe was not deathly ill. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  3. I'm still in my pj's here today. They are warm and cozy. I have to get out and get groceries, but would rather stay in the warm house, comfy and cozy. The wind is blowing in some colder weather and maybe some snow here, But I will bundle up and get what I need. Hope your enjoy those fish and chips with your dad.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is going to be me tomorrow Pam! I might stay in my jimjams all day. If I don't need to go out anywhere, why not! If the storm is as bad as they say its going to be, nobody will be going anywhere! I had a lovely time with my dad and his friend. He loved his cookies. xoxo

      Delete
  4. enjoy the fish and chips and your Dad's company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, being with Dad, the best! Stay warm and well. xo,V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is part of my silver lining V! Thank you! You stay warm and well also! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!