Saturday 27 July 2019

Summer nights . . .


It's hard to believe that the month of July is already almost at an end . . . it has passed by so very quickly . . . but it has been a lovely month . . . well worth the wait of three years I think . . .

There is something quite beautiful and special about a July night.   We sat in the garden last evening, enjoying the hot air as it ebbed across the back garden, sliding off into the night . . . while a light cool breeze stole it's way in.  It was both delicious and exciting, and most . . . most . . . welcome.

The light of the moon rose like a pearl in the sky over the horizon, glimmering over the pond as the lilies closed up at the end of day . . . and all was put to bed.   The small businesses of the day being put to rest . . . worries magicked away by it's soft glow.  We stepped across the grass in the back garden,  I in my bare feet . . . Todd in his shoes . . . our toes glancing upon  the white foam of moonlight on the crest of the wave of the impending night.   Bliss . . . Mitzie moving quietly amongst the deepening shadows, sniffing . . . sniffing . . . always sniffing, eyes shining like topaz as they caught the moonlit glimmer. 



Off in the distance . . . a cow softly moos, and a dog begins to bark, laughter from a neighbors yard, the sound echoing across the rooftops in the stillness of the night.   How wonderful . . . how pure . . . this still . . . hot . . . summer night.  I feel the world revolving around me.  The voice of the modern world may be troubled, but in my little world, in that moment . . . as stars begin to twinkle, bright and clear upon the darkening sky with the rising moon . . . I cannot feel the turbulence of modern life, only the surety of the seasons, which pass . . .  no matter when, no matter what . . .

It is as if suddenly I am everywhere . . . in the orange grove of a friend in California . . .  on the banks of Lake Superior with my Canadian friend, listening to loons cry across the water . . . on the front deck of my sister's house watching the sun set across the darkening shadows of the North Mountain which rises purple and violet upon the horizon as peepers along the river begin to make their nighttime music and the crickets begin to sing  . . . 



 and yet . . . I am not there.  I am here . . . watching the moon rise above the hedge which lays at the back of our garden . . . in England.  As many journeys as my mind may make . . . my heart stays home . . . sweet . . . home . . .

Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam,
Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home;
~John Howard Payne   



Today  has dawned with deep pewter skies and a constant drizzle falling.  Its supposed to be Grace's first Birthday BBQ bash.  I wonder if it will still take place?  I am not sure.  Everyone will be stuck in the house.  I guess we will have to wait and see. Ariana wanted me to bake  my peanut butter cake for it and make a plate of  cucumber sandwiches.  Two of her favourites that I used to make when she lived with us. 



I  made a doll for Grace.  She just adores the bunny doll I gave to her that I had made when she was just a few weeks old.  I hope that she will come to love this one as well.  There is nothing on it that can come off and cause any kind of hazard to her.  All is glued securely in place. I tried to use bright and colourful fabrics. 



 I love this photo of Maryn and Cam.  On a hike.  Black and white photos have a special quality I think. Very striking.  I have one photo collage frame in our lounge that is filled with black and white photos of all the grandchildren. It is one of my favourite things to look at.

And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day as I need to start baking a peanut butter cake.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 
 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
"Just like flowers in a garden, 
we are all here to play our part in 
making the world a beautiful place. 
So, bloom, spread your petals, 
and touch someone's life today."
~unknown 
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。 

  

In the kitchen today I have done a collection of some of the sweeter things from my very earliest postings on line. The photography is the pits, but the recipes are sound. Desserts and Bakes Worth Making.Sticky Marmalade Loaf, Lemon Ice Box Pie in a Gingersnap Crust, Chocolate Pudding, Cinder Toffee, Jaffa Drizzle Loaf, Blueberry Sour Cream Cake, Maple Walnut Ice Cream Sundaes and Fresh Strawberry Torte.  Ta da!

Have a wonderful Saturday.  Don't forget!  

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too! 
 




4 comments:

  1. Wow your pics are gorgeous and your writing tops!!!
    And that doll💕💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique. I wasn't totally happy with how the doll turned out actually, but I wasn't the one who had to be happy with it! Todd thought it was marvelous! xoo

      Delete
  2. Your words describing a summer night in your garden paint a beautiful picture. Sure hope you were able to celebrate Grace's 1st birthday despite the weather. I bet she loved her new doll. Enjoy your Sunday. Hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Elaine! I hope you are well and all is good in your little corner of the world? Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!