Monday 10 June 2019

Small & Wonderful Things . . .

 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard  

A few of the small and wonderful things from the past week which brought untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.



When I think of how close we came to losing this dear precious son of mine, my heart is overwhelmed with gratitude that we didn't.  For second chances and  modern medicine. For the blessings of prayer and answered prayers. I didn't speak to him yesterday.  I am a bit afraid of over-whelming him with attention. I don't want to tire him out unnecessarily.  But I carry him daily in my heart and prayers as I always do.  I hope that he knows how much I love and appreciate him.  He is a kind, kind man and a good son, father, husband . . .   




Mom loved lilacs.  There is a huge lilac bush just at the edge of the front deck by the living room window. Mom had a rocking chair next to the window and she sat there more than anywhere else.  She loved to look out at the lilacs when they were in bloom and she would tell me about them while we talked oftimes.  She loved that bush. My sister often brought some in while it was blooming so mom could smell and enjoy them indoors.  There is nothing like the sweet fragrance of lilacs . . .  my sister brought her some yesterday and shared a photo with me. I know that mom was grateful for the gesture as am I.  I am sure that lilacs in heaven are even prettier and smell even nicer . . . I love you mom.  Thanks sis. 


I love this sweet photo of my grandson Jon and their guinea pig Oreo. (Perfect name don't you think?) Jon just turned 13 a few weeks back.  He is such a tender soul, this grandson of mine, much like his father Doug. I love that these boys know who I am and that I love them. And also our Anthony's boys.  I am grateful for sons who go the extra mile to make sure I am in their lives.  It truly means the world to me.  It is difficult with me being so far away.  




I am grateful for my calling in Relief Society as a teacher which means that once a month I have the opportunity to really dig deeper into General Conference talks and then share with the Sisters my thoughts and impressions and also to hear theirs. I love this new way of teaching, which means that there is no lesson plan to follow.  We are encouraged to teach by the Spirit, and to encourage our classes to participate and discuss rather than just sit and be taught. It is challenging as a teacher for sure, because you have to be able to encourage class participation with insightful and thoughtful questions . . .  questions that promote discussion. My lesson yesterday was based on a talk from the last General Conference by Elder Quentin L Cook, entitled Great Love for Our Father's Children. This talk focused three areas in our lives where we can help to gather Israel, on both sides of the veil, through Missionary work, Family History and through our new Home and Family Centred Study program.  I think it was a great lesson.  I know, I felt great teaching it, and I really enjoyed feasting on Elder Cook's words.  Quite often when I am watching and listening to Conference talks, I take notes and I am inspired to do/be better.  Being able to really dig into them helps to reinforce those precious feelings and inspirations that I had intitially, and helps to make them a part of the fibre of my being. I love that!  
 

Being able to partake worthily of the Sacrament each week and think of the Saviour as I do so, to reflect on all that He did for us, and does for us, to renew the covenants that I made with Him and my Heavenly Father when I was Baptised and to remember what they meant to me then and what they mean to me now.  It is a sacred, sacred act.  And it truly makes a difference in my life. The Sacrament is the only ordinance performed for ourselves more than once in our lifetimes. Most of us will partake of it thousands of times.  It could quite easily become routine and mundane. David O. McKay said "No more sacred ordinance is administered in the Church of Christ."  I begin preparing myself for it on Saturday each week. Pondering its significance in my heart and mind so that when I place myself upon the altar on Sunday morning I bring with me a willing sacrifice and a trusting heart, and a willingness to change, to become better, to follow the Saviour as best as I can.  He asks for nothing more than that. This seemingly small act that I partake in each week has the power to change lives . . .  has changed mine. 



The June garden  . . .  it may not seem like its been really warm, and it doesn't feel like it has in the house, but the garden is bursting with bloom and colour.  Roses, foxgloves . . .  poppies, bleeding hearts . . .  and the hydrangea is covered with the buds of blooms waiting to explode.  This is such a beautiful, beautiful time of the year. 


  

It won't be long now and we will be eating fresh berries from our garden.  I can't wait!  

My cup runneth over  . . . 

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
I'm a success today because
I had a friend who believed in me,
and I didn't want to let him down.
~Abraham Lincoln  •。★★ 。* 。 



Beetroot, Goat's Cheese  & Toasted Walnut Salad 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  a Roasted Beetroot, Goat's Cheese and Toasted Walnut Salad.  Yummy!


Have a wonderful Monday.  I hope your week ahead is filled with plenty of small and wonderful things. Don't forget!  


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  
 
And I do too! 











  

6 comments:

  1. Your dear son and grandson♥
    Not to mention how tenderhearted your sister is to bring your mom lilacs.She must be missing her so much after all these years of caregiving.You two are so lucky to have each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure she is Monique. We talk most days. Its been good for both of us. We are blessed to have each other for sure. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, Marie, filled with lots of things you hold dear. I'm sure Doug knows how much you love him. It's lilac time everywhere. We took some to my brother who is in a nursing home. Something to brighten his day. They had a cute little black and white therapy bunny there yesterday also called Oreo. Hugs and prayers, and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine! I love lilac time! How wonderful that you were able to bring some to your brother. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy that your Doug is doing well. I loved the sweet photo of your grandson, Jon. I love that you have contact with them frequently. It is hard to have family live far away.
    I love Lilacs and I love your thought son how your mother loved them and your sister took some to her grave to share.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Sacrament. It is such a blessed moment of our week.
    I still would like to hear one of your lessons. I'm sure you area wonderful spirit driven teacher and that the sisters love you.
    This talk is a great one to have been able to study, teach and discuss.
    I love this time of year. We are finally blooming around here. I'm looking forward to some sweet strawberries soon.
    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a very sensitive boy LeAnn, much like his father Doug. Love them all. We are having torrential rain LeAnn. On the third day of it. I fear we might lose our berries this year! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!