Wednesday 26 June 2019

Beachy Ponderings . . .



Half of my childhood was spent far away from the sea . . .  first in Germany and then Manitoba, the ocean was far, far away from where I was.  Other than the odd day out to the beach on the shores of Lake Winnipeg, we never got to enjoy such things as paddling and feeling the sand between our toes.   Our summer excursions for the most part consisted of a mad dash through the sprinkler in our swim suits, and that was only if my mother was in a wet swimsuit kind of a mood and if it was very hot!

My first real experiences with the beach came when we moved to Nova Scotia when I was ten years old and I am happy to say that after that time, except for now and again and the odd inland posting, I have never lived too awfully far from the beach again . . . even over here in the UK.   When we were down South, we were close to Eastbourne, Hastings and Brighton . . . and here in Chester, we are only a hop skip and a jump away from Rhyll, Prestatyn,  and West Kirby . . . to name but a few.

When I was down beside the sea,
A wooden spade they gave to me
To dig the sandy shore.
My holes were empty like a cup.
In every hole the sea came up,
Til it could come no more . . .
~Robert Louis Stevenson, At the Seashore







I like the seaside.   There is always a bit of a holiday feeling there . . . especially here in the UK.   They have piers lined with benches and shops selling everything from candy rock to shovels and spades . . . penny arcades filled with noise and lights, amusements such as Merry Go Rounds for the kiddies, fish and chips shops, donkey rides, souvenir shops etc.

Beaches vary from one area to another . . . some are sandy, others are pebbles and rock.  I prefer the sandy ones . . . but the rock ones can be fun too.  I like to walk along the water's edge no matter the surface, looking for treasures . . .  shells . . . rocks and pebbles  . . . sea glass beaten smooth by the water and stone . . .





The shells are always deserted . . . once home to whelks and the like . . . abandoned probably several times in their lifetimes . . . until found by me.   I ponder the shell's  life . . . and wonder at the death of it's first occupant . . . for in order to be empty like that something must have died . . . or simply walked away, leaving tiny little footprints in the sand, like a delicate vine . . .

Small and smooth . . . simple and yet quite intricate . . . beautiful.   One wonders why anything would want to run away from it.

My shell is not like this, I think . . . mine is blurred and full of nobbles and scars . . . life has taken what was once fresh and  pristine,  and dirtied and banged it up . . . it's shape having changed with each experience lived . . .I am not polished smooth like sea glass . . .





And yet despite all of the nobbles and the scratches . . . the dirt and the scars . . . I am no less beautiful.  There is a great treasure to be found in my soul . . .  in my heart . . . a treasure that can be found no place else on earth.

I cannot escape this shell, this home that houses my spirit . . . and I am the sum of all of my experience, the good . . . the bad . . . and the ugly, and everything in between.   There are some parts that have been beaten smooth . . . and others still waiting to be perfected . . .

Life is a journey . . . a beautiful ride . . .




But we are NOT alone on the beach . . .  we have a partner who walks along with us throughout the journey.  One who can not only walk on the water, but who will carry us when we think we just can't move another step forward, and He thinks our shells are beautiful too.

Nobbles and all . . . but more important than that, He looks past the shell to the heart, and sees us as we really and truly are . . .  and . . .  loves us anyways.

Steadfast . . . secure . . . and never changing.





It rained all day yesterday until late in the afternoon, and I believe it looks like rain again today. This has certainly been the rainiest start to our summer in a long time. Makes it difficult to hang the laundry outside, so it ends up in here on our drying rack and over doors, etc. Not the  most attractive thing to look at all day!  Tina and Tony are coming to lunch today.  Nothing fancy, just sandwiches and cake.  Sandwiches and cake and good company are an unbeatable combination!

A thought for you to carry through the day . . .

The true companions of a warrior 
are beside him always,
during both the difficult times 
and the easy times.
~Paulo Coelho 



Stuffed Zucchini with Toasted Walnuts & Feta 


Cooking in the English Kitchen today, Stuffed Zucchini with Toasted Walnuts & Feta.  A delicious Vegetarian Main, or a simple side depending on what you put with it! 

Have a wonderful Wednesday.  Whatever you get up to, don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   


6 comments:

  1. Hi Marie, we used to run through the sprinkler, too. Sometimes when it rained in the summer and there was no lightening we would put our bathing suits on and play in the rain. That little poem you quoted is titled "At the Seashore" and is by Robert Louis Stevenson. I love his poems and recognized it right away. Enjoy your visit with Tina and Tony. Hope it stops raining soon. Hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know who wrote the poem Elaine. I will add the attribution after this. I am getting a bit fed up with the rain to be honest. It brings out too many slugs and makes everything humid. I know I shouldn't complain. Nobody comes to England for the weather and we are such a lovely Green and lush country, because of the rain! I am realy looking forward to seeing Tina and Tony! We enjoy their company so very much! Love and hugs! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Have a great day! Oh Brighton looks fab.I follow a super talented artist/photog on IG that often posts Brighton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brighton is fabaulous Monique! We used to go often when we lived down South. There is a lot to see and do therem but the best fish and chips were in Hastings! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Marie, I'm so lucky, the beach was my playground growing up and I still have the beach right outside along with the Irish sea. It's been fabulous the last couple of months with the cruise ships coming into Liverpool. The Queen Victoria was here a couple of weeks ago, just beautiful.

    Well fingers crossed the rain has stopped for while. We've got a wedding in London on Sunday so hopefully it will stay dry for that.

    Hope you enjoyed your lunch with Tina and Tony, lot's of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You live in a little piece of heaven Kate. I am always saying to Todd I would love to go and just stay overnight for one night at one of the seasides, so we can walk along the pier at night and sit on a bench and watch the sun set over the water. Perhaps one day we will do it. Looks like a dry day today. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your weekend wedding. It should be okay down in London I am sure! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!