Wednesday 1 May 2019

Rabbit . . . rabbit . . .

By artist Edith Holden 

Dare  I sit here grieving
in a dream-world of my ownm
thinking back across the years
of happiness once known.
When outside the window
on this bright and lovely day,
miracles are happening
the miracles of May;
The hawthorn in the hedges
and bluebells in the wood?
Can I now deny that life is sweet
and God is good?
~Patience Strong 

So much is happening in the garden and the countryside at the moment that I rush this way and that trying to take it all in at once.  Wall flowers . . .  Tulips . . . Lilac and Apple Blossom.  Oh that I could hold back the hands of time at this point of the year and just linger for a while . . . 
  


Which is the fairest month of all??? It is hard to say. Once the crystal-like beauty of Winter turns to Spring we are surrounded with many other sweet pleasures . . .  beginning with the 
Crocus and Daffodil . . . Primrose-tide  and Tuliptide begin to roll into view and are dear and sweet, but when April showers tumble away and give way to the Lilacs of May, can anything be more sweetly scented or beautiful?  I think not.  Rain wet blossom opening beneath the sun's warm kiss of May . . . 


Through dripping scented branches, fragrance drifts . . . thrushes call . . . God's paintbrush begins to conjure up the glory of a rainbow over all.  May brings with it so much to look forward to.  As Daffodils fade and Tulips droop, you see the Hawthorne in the hedgerow and Buttercup in the meadow.  There is no time to shed a tear as we are rushed headlong towards the arms of Summer. 

"Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date."
~Shakespeare  



The Engineer came yesterday and within a very short time my oven was back up and running again.  So happy about that.  Its been weeks and weeks of insecurity when it comes to my stove, with first one thing or another.  Here's hoping that it is finally sorted for good!  Fingers crossed! 

We started to watch the latest episode of Game of Thrones last night, but could only get about 1/3 of the way through.  Dark and intense.  I think we will have to watch it in spurts, as it is just too much to take in all at once. My heart longs for a happy ending, but am I going to get it?  Probably not  . . .  time will tell. 



We watched the Metropolis episode last night about London.  They left so much out.  I suppose it is impossibe to get everything in.  They included none of the Museums, which I would have thought would be really important to mention.  Nor did they mention the Tower of London, or London Bridge.  They did talk of our penchant for giving our sky scrapers cheeky names such as the "Gerkin" and "Cheese Grater."   And of course there was fish and chips and roast beef.  It was still very entertaining.  Next on the list is Paris, which I know I am going to thoroughly enjoy! 

The gulls are making a lot of noise out there this morning.  I know they have as much of a right as any bird to express themselves  . . .  but, and I don't like to be negative . . .  there is very little to like about them, really.  Noisy, greedy, aggressive . . .  we seem to be getting more and more of them all the time.  They are like the cockroaches of the sky.  I know Starlings are also greedy birds, but they have their lovely irridescent feathers to delight our eyes and then there is the murmuring  . . . 



When great flocks of them take to the sky to do a sort of aerial dance that it as once mesmerizing and fascinating.  I remember sitting in the car over at the Trading Estate not too far from where we live one day and watching they drift through the sky  across the way, undulating and waving as they slowly moved back and forth, creating magic in the air.  Its been called the greatest wildlife spectacle in Britain.  

Although it might not seem like it when hoards of them descend into the garden to rape and pillage your bird feeders, the actual number of Starlings has declined by over 60% in the last 50 years, which has caused them to be red-listed as a bird of high-conservation concern here in the UK. I do believe they are what we used to call Grackles back home in Canada. 

And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
You can't know,
you can only believe
or not  . . . 
~C.S. Lewis •。★★ 。* 。 



Oven Fried Chicken  

In The English Kitchen today . . .  Baked Fried Chicken with a Buttermilk & Chive Mash.  Todd really enjoyed this yesterday!  Leftovers today! 

 Have a great Wednesday.  Its rent paying day here so a trip into town is on the cards.  Whatever you get up to, have a beautiful day and don't forget!  


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   











6 comments:

  1. I agree w/ game of thrones and I hate thos night /dead walkers.Won't tell you the end.
    I've never been a Dungeos and Dragons gal..so GOT I confess I started watching to watch something w/ J.
    He did not like the last epi either.as someone reported in tthe news what a waste of production money when we can't see a thing.


    I still don't get Bran's powers?

    I still don't get all their names LOL..many epis found me dozing off..Wintefell..summerfell..this and that too much;)
    Happy re your stove!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never liked Dungeons and Dragons either, but did like the Hobbit, etc. so that is why I started to watch GOT. The scariest part was knowing that everyone they killed became a white walker, so their army kept growing and growing! I will watch out the series to the end, but like you, don't get Bran??? Maybe I will learn more later, or should read the books??? xoxo

      Delete
  2. I do love to see a murmuration of starlings, but don't care for them otherwise. I believe Grackles are another bird altogether. Starlings (at least here in the states) are speckled with white and are usually quite plump and squat. Grackles are black with a blue sheen to their head. Quite pretty birds, but pretty much of a pest, like starlings. They look similar to a small raven and sound similar as well. What I like to see here in Oklahoma are the scissor-tail flycatchers. They are so pretty. Don't see them in town, though, they are a country bird. So graceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Starlings are black/blue with an irridescent sheen to their feathers, and quite like a black bird or a small crow. And they have very yellow beaks. Its fascinating how different the birds are in each country! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I do love when you get descriptive with your thoughts on the seasons. I can just imagine that England is very beautiful this time of year. We are finally feeling a little bit of spring. However, it snowed early this morning but didn't stay.
    I must look in to the Metropolis. Since we don't get to be travelers; this sounds like a great one to watch and enjoy.
    We do get Seagulls out at the Great Salt Lake and sometimes even a few on Temple Square. The populations is down here.
    It's been a while since I have been around them. They can be pretty noisy for sure.
    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is crazy all over I think LeAnn. My heart goes out to all who are suffering with the flooding from Ottawa in Canada down to the lower regions of Quebec and then in the Saint John River Valley. So sad! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!