Monday 3 December 2018

Small and wonderful things . . .

 
 
 
"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.  
 
 
 
Getting to sing all the Christmas Carols in church, all month long.  I love listening to and singing the carols.  When we lived down South, our Bishop would always sing Oh Holy Night at Christmas time, with his son accompanying him on the piano and it was beautiful. Todd always really looked forward to that each year. It was beautiful.  It is such a hard song to sing, and he did it wonderfully. I think that is one of Todd's favourite carols!  Yesterday our Ward Choir sang some lovely interlude music prior to the beginning of Sacrament meeting and two of the children in the Ward had a solo in the  middle of the song. It was quite beautiful!  

 
 
 
Christmas movies, and yes, I do watch the same ones every year.   As soon as December hits, I reign supreme over the television and I subject Todd to them as often as he will let me, lol.  He is not a tyrant so its just about every day.  I have my favourites, plus they have a Christmas movie channel on the television!  I do love the old cartoons . . .  Frosty and Rudolph and the Grinch, but my ab favourite is Charlie Brown's Christmas.  I save that for Christmas Eve.  And I also adore the Gruffalo, which has nothing whatsoever to do with Christmas, only that Christmas is the perfect time to watch it. 
 
 
 
Ugly Christmas Jumpers.  Love them.  This is from Madame Tussauds.  I don't think the Royals actually wear ugly Christmas Jumpers, but they might!  (lol even the Corgis haha)  Todd has a reindeeer one gleaned from the rag bag at the Manor that he pops on every year.  Its so funny.  I don't have one.  I don't need to pop on a Christmas jumper to look funny. 
 
  
 
 Crazy Christmas Headbands that you can wear to all the parties, etc.  I love them.   I get Mitzie to wear one every year as well. I just think they are cute, cute, cute. They have some really nice ones at ASDA this year.  I haven't succumbed just yet. 
 
 
 
The Mormon Music Channel.  This time of year it is Christmas Music, 24/7.  I have it on all the time, when Todd isn't at home at any rate!  I have it playing now!  Its a wonderful mix of contemporary and traditional. You can find it here.  You can also download the app onto your smart TV.  We've done that and we refer to it often, even when they aren't playing Christmas music.  Its just nice music to listen to. 
 
 
 
 Christmas Baking.  I miss having a large family to bake for.  I used to bake tons and tons every year. Now I just do a few baked gifts for neighbors and such and for the blog. All to give away for the most part as Todd and I just can't and really don't want to eat it all.  We are happy with the Christmas Cake, some mince pies and of course Todd loves his Christmas Pudding.  I don't do a lot of fancy smancy stuff as I don't really have the patience for that, nor the talent. 
 
 
 
Putting up our big Nativity Scene.  I love this.  It is old and falling apart, but it holds pride of place on our sideboard. It was a gift from Doreen.  She didn't use it anymore and gave it to us.  We have quite a few nativities actually, but this is our favourite because it represents not only the real reason for the season in the Birth of the Christ Child, but the love of a friend.  We have Jim Shore angels that we put out as well, each one having something to do with the nativity. I used to buy a new one every year when I was working.    
 
 
 
 
Brilliant Sun Sets  . . .  and sunrises for that matter.  We have had some spectacular ones this past week. The shorter days and longer nights mean that I get to enjoy them almost every day. 
 
 
 
Mitzie cuddles. I never get tired of them. They're the best. 
 
 
 
 
Christmas Cards which have started to arrive.  Its such a cheerful thing to have one pop through the mailbox.  I am late getting ours out again this year.  It all boils down to money doesn't it. I thought we would have more money this year, but alas . . . we do not.  Some things never change. 
 
 
 
When I see all the tumult and the drama in the world, and I think of my own little life, I realise that my own little life with its small ups and downs is very, very good.  We are not wealthy in financial ways, but we have what we need.  That is a bonus.  We both are enjoying relatively good health. We have plenty of love and a roof over our heads.  We have each other and we have the Gospel in our lives. We have friends to care for and who care for us.  We are rich in the things which bring us joy and peace and lasting happiness.  Life is good.  Very, very, good.  Whenever I am tempted to think that it is not, I remind myself that it could always be a whole lot worse and I start to count my blessings.
 
A good life is one in which you can
count your blessings and run out of
fingers to count them on.
And I can. 
 
And with that I better leave you with a thought for today because my time is fast fleeing!
A thought to carry with you  . . . 
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.°
  If you always tell the truth,
you don't have to remember anything.
~Mark Twain  •。★★ 。*  
 

World's Best Baked Chicken 
 
Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  World's Best Baked Chicken.  Not sure if it is really the World's best, but it is pretty darned tasty! 
 

I am off to the chapel again this morning to help out Peter Lee with some family history.  His regular partner has let him down again.  Todd has an pre-op appointment at he hospital for his cataract surgery, which is slated for the 10th all being well.  Fingers crossed!! I hope the week ahead for you  is filled with lots of small and simple things!  Don't forget!

 ═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

And I do too!


 

 
 

6 comments:

  1. Love this time of yr also..Alexa and her Christmas songs..the tree..the card writing.Fairy lights and hygge at home♥
    Nice of you to help your friend and good thoughts for Mr T..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! Its all go this time of year, but there are plenty of down moments to enjoy some Hygge for sure! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I love everything Christmas. It truly is the most wonderful time of the year! Hope your week is off to a great start ! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope yours is also Pam. I got back from the chapel really late and I am exhausted now. God bless. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Though I LOVE chicken, no matter the piece...tis thighs I love most...and this sounds super delicious...something else I must try out soon!! Thank you!! You are right, in counting blessings. Last night on our way to town in the dark, a LARGE buck deer was STANDING in the road...car brakes worked very well...missed him by a few inches. Left with wildly beating hearts for a bit. But saved once again!! And grateful!! (Would hate to loose the car even if it did not hurt us...and too, no desire to hurt an animal).
    Elizabeth xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, what a blessing that you didn't hit it! One of those can do some serious damage to vehicle and life! You will love the chicken! I guarantee! Love and hugs, and blessings! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!