Thursday 20 December 2018

My Favourite Things . . .


Sharing today on this last Thursday before the big day, a few of my Christmas Favourite things. Maybe some of them are yours too!  Lets share! 


The carols and the music. We've had the radio station from the Mormon channel on all day over these past weeks. Christmas music 24/7 with all of our favourites. Delightful.  


  

Christmas cookies. All the old favourites.  Butter cookies, shortbreads, gingerbreads . . .  they just don't taste the same the rest of the year as they do at Christmas!  



The decorations and festive touches that are everywhere!    


  

Christmas Trees.  Themed or not. Every tree has something to say about the person it belongs to. Mine is a happy mix of memories.  I love it. (this is not mine!)  



Christmas viewing . . .  the films, the shows . . .  all of it.  Not surprisingly "Its a Wonderful Life," the 1940's version has been voted as the nation's favourite Christmas movie! I try to watch them all, culminating with Charlie Brown on Christmas Eve and Muppets Christmas Carol on Christmas Day.  


  

Money to spend or not, they are an awful lot of fun to walk around.  The sights, the smells, the sounds.  Very festive indeed!  



The lights.  Light is all around us.  Festooning our homes and windows . . .  decorating the towns and neighborhoods.  Lights everywhere.  In a season where darkness is closing in on us, all the lights and coloured lights are most welcome!  


  

Gingrebread houses.  I used to make one every year. Its been a while now. I still love and admire them though! 


The smells  . . .  spicy and warm . . . woodsy . . .  fire and light . . . and snow  . . .    




Old fashioned Christmas Candies  . . .  peppermint balls, ribbon candy  . . . candy canes and gum drops.



Christmas Cards  . . . . 

  

Christmas stories.  This is one of my favourites.  I had it memorised when I was a child to recite at a Christmas play, I also had Jest Fore'  Christmas by Eugene Field memorised, so I could recite it, once again at a Christmas play with all the actions and attitude.  My favourite, favourite one though is always Twas the Night. 



Egg Nog.  Yes, I love Egg Nog. You can't buy commercial egg nog over here.  Its not a British thing, so I make my own from scratch. Non alcoholic.  We enjoy it in small glasses on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day  . . .  



Warm mince pies  . . .  


  

The fruit cake, Christmas pudding . . .  and all the other favourites we enjoy only at this time of year. 




The Queen's annual Christmas message on Christmas Day.  I look forward to it every year.  



  

The Call the Midwife Christmas Special . . .  I really look forward to this each year!  



Will Trixie be back?  I hope so.  I think so.  Did you know that she is actually married to the actor who plays Reverend Tom in real life?  I know!  


  

Christmas Bells  . . .  I heard the bells on Christmas Day.  My middle son Doug used to be in a Bell Choir.  




I love everything about Christmas . . .  the traditions, the memories . . .  all of it . . .  but most of all  . . . 


  

I love the true reason for the season   . . . . 




I love the Christmas Story  . . .  the nativity . . .  it is the ultimate love story. 

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
We can choose joy at Christmas time,
because love came down and dwelt
among us.  Love set us free.  •。★★ 。* 。 



Easy Chili Mac & Cheese 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Easy Chili Mac & Cheese.  A store cupboard favourite! 

Have a wonderful Thursday. Hope you get to enjoy some of your favourite things!  Don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   

 



 




6 comments:

  1. It is wonderful we have all the lights decorating our homes these days. Tomorrow is the first day of winter and the shortest day of the year. I need all the light I can get these dark short days. I haven't done any baking yet, but maybe tomorrow will be the day! Hopefully today, I'll finish up the wrapping and get things straightened around here, then I can bake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine how they coped in the old days without electric lights Pam! At least after tomorrow the days will start lengthening. Not perceptibly perhaps at first, but it won't be long before we notice a difference! Hope you get all you need to do done today! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I like this time of year..I miss the frenetic shopping days..silly isn't it? But with our family I get cracking early..so I am all done..all wrapped..all in my craft room hidden under a table.I don't think I could do frenetic anymore in all actuality:)Who am I kidding? Frenetic's never been me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I would love to be with your family at Christmas! I am sure it is all quite special. I hate chaos and rush. I am going to start earlier next year. I am so bummed you haven't gotten my Christmas Card. *grumble* darned Canada Post! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I too like to listen to the Queen's speech. I sure hope that family will be extra nice to Meghan this year...poor girl...no way I would want to be in her shoes!!
    Doing the best I can to enjoy at least the good foods in this season. Otherwise, just hoping next year will be better.
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Royal family are very good to Meghan, but I sure wish the press would leave her alone. Why do they have to build someone up just so they can then tear them down. Love and hugs to you and yours and a very Merry Christmas Elizabeth! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!