Sunday 30 December 2018

My mind wanders . . .



I was reading something the other day and came across an article which was describing the culture of African Bushmen. I have always found other cultures fascinating and they were every bit as fascinating as any other I have read about. You can learn a lot about a people by reading about their ways. For instance, and I thought this was fabulous . . . when an African Bushman notices a brother or sister of his tribe coming out of the brush he greets them with the words, "I See You!" The response from the arrival would be. "I am here!"  

 When I read that I thought to myself . . . how very wonderful!  How absolutely profound!  In a world that increasingly becomes crazier and crazier, where one can quite quickly lose their identity, and become as nothing . . . how very affirming such a greeting seems.  For with this simple and direct affirmation, it is possible to secure one's own presence . . . in effect to say . . . I AM HERE.

I AM HERE . . . I AM HERE . . . I AM HERE . . .

And I matter. 



There are of course people in all of our lives who validate our presence by seeing us regularly . . . they are people who have helped to shape the foundations of our self worth . . . Grandparents, Parents . . . siblings, extended family if you are lucky enough to have some . . . close friends.  When I think back on my life, other than my mother and father, the one person who first rejoiced at my presence would have been my maternal Grandmother.   I was a difficult baby, crying a lot . . . and so I was taken to stay with her for a time as my mother just couldn't cope with me.  From her I received unconditional love and feelings about myself that have helped to shape the bedrock of my self worth . . . and so it has gone all through the years of my life, with different people at different times all taking the time to acknowledge and appreciate my presence . . . affirming that I am here and that I matter.

That's all anyone really wants I think . . . to be seen and to matter . . . to be loved for just who, what and where they are in their lives.  To have their presence rejoiced, and maybe even celebrated in small and simple ways.   I don't mean in the "paparazzi stalking" way . . . but simply in the "YOU count" way . . . 



In a culture which erases it's humanity and celebrates celebrity, beauty, money and success . . . which plays down and ignores anything else . . .  proclaiming them as being trivial and un-important . . . we so very much need to be seen and to be quite simply acknowledged, to have our presence noted . . . to know that someone cares.   WE are not invisible.  WE count.  WE are loved.  WE matter.  And by that I mean . . . everyone.

This is the last Sunday that our church block of services will be three hours long.  After this week we are moving to a two hour service. This will be great for families with small children I am sure. Our church is moving to a more Home Centred/Family Based type of worship/study. Wish I had a family to do this with. It will be a challenge for Empty Nesters and Singletons.  But, as with anything, you can only get out of something what you are willing to put in.



A thought to carry with you for today  . . .

“When we treat people merely as they are, 
they will remain as they are. 
When we treat them as if they were 
what they should be, 
they will become what they should be. ” 
~Thomas S Monson  


Salted Caramel Pavlova 
 
 
Cooking in The English Kitchen today, a dessert for New Years . . .  Salted Caramel Pavlova.  Yummo! 

Have a beautiful Sunday!  Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!


17 comments:

  1. Hi Marie, lovely thoughts for today! I love the fact that when I click on your blog I have absolutely no idea what will be there! I can't imagine where you get your thoughts from, but you are so talented Marie, I love your writings!

    Enjoy your Sunday, lot's of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much Kate! Happy New Year! Love and hugs to you! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Never forget you too are unique and special and always loved. Have a blessed and happy Sunday !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree feeling cared for is so necessary and I wonder how people do it..on their own..alone..always.
    Does one get used to it?
    I never had anyone apart from my mom really to feel validated.My dad loved me..but it was her..all her.Never knew a grandparent..and when my parents died..one aunt kept in touch for maybe 3 yrs..in person..then died..One other aunt kept in touch by 2 cards a yr..for many many yrs..until she died.They meant a lot to me..My xmas card and birthday card.But everyone else..no..
    My grandchildren are loved beyond measure by all and I am so happy about that.They have lots of people in their tribes:)
    A couple of older women..especially my manager..became mentors.Rosemary Faber.A real mentor.
    I would have never become a good realtor without her unfailing encouragement and kindness♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the word "Tribe." Sometimes we need to form our own tribe, I guess. It sounds like you were special to your Aunties. I am so sorry you had to lose your mom so soon in life. It sometimes just doesn't seem fair. You loved her so much, that is so evident, and I can always tell from your comments that she loved you very much also. I think father's were different back then. They have a more hands-on roll now and that is a special and a good thing! Sometimes friends become the family we need. I am grateful that I have a few really good friends. I cherish them. Love and hugs! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Whatever would we have done without our wonderful grandmothers? My mom's mom had everything to do with how I am today. I miss her every day!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite close to my maternal grandmother as well Elizabeth. She died when I was quite young. I look forward to seeing her again one day! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this lovely post. I too had a Grandmother that helped me feel like I mattered too. I became a nurse because of her. In some of my ministering, I have a two single sisters and I see their loneliness and need to feel like they matter. I can't imagine how hard it is for them to be alone. I hope that with us Empty Nesters and the Singles will feel apart of this marvelous program as it goes forward. I see good things coming from it if we just ses, invite and help others know they matter.
    May you have a wonderful New Year Eve and New Year's celebration with your Todd and Mitzie. We will be with our Sammy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree LeAnn! We have to be in it to win it. I am sure it will be exciting and we will get much more out of it than we put in, but we have to be willing to put in! Happy New Year LeAnn! Like you and Roger, we will be enjoying it with our Mitzie! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this reminder. You matter and are loved and the thoughts you write in your lovely blog have impacted me. Thank you! Yes, changing from a three hour to two hour block will be a change for us all. God bless you in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless you also Deb! It is an exciting time. I am trying to get on board with it all and get the best from it that I can! All the best for you in 2019! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Don't forget, meeting in informal groups after church is encouraged with the new schedule. I do worry that some people will feel isolated if we aren't active about friendships and ministering...love is spelled T-I-M-E and all that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about that Anna. We have been discouraged in our Ward from doing it right after church because it goes against the new format, but we are already making plans for small groups of singletons, new members/ward missionaries, and empty nesters to meet outside of church to share. xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!