Monday 17 December 2018

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.


"Like snowflakes, my Christmas memories gather and dance . . .
each beautiful and unique, and too soon gone."
~Deborah Whipp

Decorating the shelf on our hutch.  Memories of Christmas past and friends and loved ones we hold dear. A much loved Christmas card that deserves to be enjoyed every year, a small wooden nativity made with olive wood, a gift from other friends, two angels I got on sale after Christmas several years ago . . .as I take out these treasures and carefully place them, I am reminded of the senders/gifters and how much I love them . . . 



"Unless we make Christmas an occasion to share our blessings, 
all the snow in Alaska won't make it white."
~Bing Crosby

A special creation sent from across the ocean, a gift . . .  bringing a smile to my face and my heart. I know it is wrapped in heart strings and comes with the love of the creator/giver.  My heart sings and swells with love each time I look at it. 



"Christmas, children is not a date, it is a state of mind."
~Mary Ellen Chase   

In the true reason for the season, this time of year affords us the opportunity to put aside old hurts and bad feelings and hope springs anew in this season of love. Gifts that don't come wrapped up in paper or tied up with bows take centre stage.  You won't find them under the tree, you carry them in your heart and your mind, and you can carry them with you always, all the year through.




"Blessed is the season which engages the whole world 
in a conspiracy of Love."
~Hamilton Wright Mabie

I love my mantle when it is finished.  It is a happy mix of the secular and the sacred . . .  a place where Santa mingles with angels and the Divine . . . a reflection of all that is good about this time of year . . .





"Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred,
and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit,
become a child again at Christmastime.
~Laura Ingalls Wilder  

When I look at this old, old Nativity, which is careworn and falling apart, I am reminded of all the Christmas's of my childhood and the happy feelings that attended them.  Going to church with my father on Christmas Eve and watching the Nativity, just us two . . .  in a candle-lit church filled with love and tender feelings.  Unwrapping gifts on Christmas morning with my sister and my brother and listening to their excited voices.  The smells coming from my mother's kitchen, Bing Crosby on the radiom, and above all the knowledge in my heart that was tender and sure that HE was the reason for the season.  Love, pure love unfeigned . . . . 



"He who has not Christmas in his heart,
will never find it under a tree."
~Roy L Smith  


We are not ones for gifts as such. We already have what we need or want. For us this season is more about the feelings that attend it.  The love of special foods that we don't enjoy any other time of year.  The special music that we listen to.  The special films we watch.  The cards that come from afar with greetings of love from people we love. The story of the Christ Child and His miraculous birth. Ho ho ho's and bah humbugs . . . the Grinch.  The underlying message of the whole season which is pure and simply this  . . .  love one another even as I have loved you.



"Peace on earth will come to stay, when
we live Christmas every day."
~Helen Steiner Rice  

Oh that peace would reign in this world all the year through.  Oh that no child would ever go to bed hungry, or cold, or unloved and unwanted.  I long for the Saviors return, but in the meantime I do the best that I can to bring peace to those around me, and within my sphere of ability . . . 




"Christmas gives us the opportunity to pause and reflect on
the important things around us.
~David Cameron  

I love my family. They are everything to me.  I miss them daily, but never more so than at this special time of year.  I visit them often in my mind and my heart and hope that they are well and wish for them happiness and peace and joy. The family is ordained of God. I know this to be true.  A sacred gift that we must protect, and keep safe . . . hold as sacred above all else. The family is central to God's plan of happiness for us.  It is everything and it is eternal.



"Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold,
everything is softer and more beautiful."
~Norman Vincent Peale  

He truly is the reason for the season.  Had  not that babe been born all those many years ago in a stable to Mary and Joseph we would not be celebrating this very special time of year.  It is in the very name of this season . . .  CHRIST mas. He is in the name . . . many may try to push him out, but He remains the very essence of Christmas and the reason that thousands, indeed millions of people the world over pause to reflect at this time of year on all that is good in their lives and that special gift. Love did indeed come down and live amongst us.   

 "When we keep the spirit of Christmas, we keep the Spirit of Christ, for the Christmas spirit is the Christ Spirit. It will block out all the distractions around us which can diminish Christmas and swallow up its true meaning." 

It is the most wonderful time of the year! 

  

Roast Chicken with Lemon & Garlic

Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . . . Roast Chicken with Lemon & Garlic.  Delicious! 
 
Have a beautiful day!  Don't forget!  

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   



6 comments:

  1. I know how much you love your family♥
    Your home looks so cozy and festive..lights sure help in the gloominess of some winter days..They just wrap their arms around us!
    I love how you are so grateful for even the smallest of things.I hope you never change:)
    Have a beautiful day..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am pretty steady in who I am now Monique! I expect, or at least I hope that I will always be grateful for what I have! Sometimes even for what I don't have! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  2. The wonderful of things this time of year do truly abound. All the tastes, the sights, the smells, the music, the gifts and happy times to share seem as though they'll never end. If only we could remember to keep Christmas in our hearts every day. Hope your Monday is off to a great start ! The sun is peeping out to say hello here, and it always makes me happy! So thankful for another day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! It was okay here yesterday in the end, but cold, now today is it pouring rain! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Thank you sweet friend for these lovely Christmas thoughts. I loved them all. I feel just like you that the memories made through the years with family and friends are what we all treasure. The feelings that we have at this time of years area priceless.
    Our beloved Savior is the reason for the season. I love the simpler times and days of Christmas Celebrations. I do want to keep Christmas in my heart always.
    My favorite part of Christmas is when we have our family Nativity with our children and now our grandchildren and great grandchildren. It is such a endearing moment.
    Sending loving thoughts and hugs your way! Have a sweet week before Christmas dearest one~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so grateful for a childhood which taught me the real meaning of Christmas LeAnn! I cannot imagine it being near as special otherwise! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!