Monday 4 February 2019

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.  


A boy and his dog. This is Jake and Baya. This young man is so filled with life and always spends at least a few minutes talking to me when my son facetimes me. It cheers my heart to no end. He's my cheeky little chappie, and Baya is just a lovely, lovely dog. Little rays of sunshine.  


With everything that's been going on, I completely forgot to mention it on the 30th of Jan, but somebody had a birthday and turned 9.  To top it off I had sent his Birthday card about 2 weeks too early.  I suppose I had a lot of distractions on my mind.  Luke is my oldest son's youngest and in this photo he and his older brother Gabe are reading the envelope of the card I sent.  I put some nice stickers on the outside, because I think mail should delight you from the outside in!

 
And this obviously did, judging by the pleased expression on is lovely little face.  He is my grandson that loves Pugs, so the last few birthdays I have gotten him Pug cards, and stickers and of course there was a wee bit of dosh in the card.  Now they are older, I think a bit of dosh is probably the best gift to give. Then they can just buy what they want.  Oh, how I love these wee family members of mine. 

This is our Doug's wife Kayla and their oldest son Jon.  They had him out on a date night.  I love that they do things like this with their boys.   I think its great!  Jon and Kayla are doing selfies here.  Some are goofie and some are not. 


  


They took it in turn.  I love these sweet little families my children have created for themselves. I think all any mother wants is for her babies to be happy . . .  for them to be healthy, and loved and secure.  You can't ask for much more than that. All my wee families are blessed in this way.  It warms my heart. 

Jon is pretty crafty (in a good way).  He's doing a Home Ec project at home and is in deep concentration.  I like that boys now do Home Ec also and that they are learning skills that will stand them in good stead all of their lives, like sewing and cooking.  
 

  


What a super, super job he did on this!  Well done Jon!  Kayla is well versed in the needle arts.  She has always done crafts, and of course I do as well, so there is clearly an artistic gene in the family . . .  


In fact, Doug just finished this model of the Ghost Busters car and is set to do a Kit car (from Night Rider fame.) Clearly we are a crafty bunch!  


  


The multitude of condolences we have received as a family during the recent loss of our mother.  Cards both in Canada and here in the UK, e-mails, private notes, etc.  All have been very much appreciated and have touched our hearts in a special way.  We thank you for them. We are so very grateful for the time and consideration taken.  Our hearts are broken, but your kind thoughts have helped, they truly have.  


I found this quote from Abraham Lincoln and it resonated with me. Our mother was a great woman of faith.  She loved to pray for people and prayed daily for anyone who needed them, and I know she prayed daily for each of her children, and grandchildren, etc. She was a praying woman.  She taught me to pray as a child and I am a praying woman.  I am ever so grateful for that . . .  for a life that was covered in prayer and upheld in prayer and I still feel her prayers surrounding me.  They will indeed be with me forever.  
 
  


I love you mama.  I miss you deeply, but I am grateful that you are whole again in all ways  . . .  in mind and in body, and free from pain.  My belief and faith that this is true helps to sustain me and I cannot be sad about that. I cannot be sad about that  . . . 

 
The opportunity I have each Sunday to partake of the Sacrament and remember Him, to take His name upon me, and to renew my Baptismal Covenants.  This is by no means a small thing, but it is a truly wonderful thing.  I may never be able to fully comprehend the Atonement of Christ, but I will always be able to appreciate it and avail myself of it's healing powers . . .   It is a great blessing in my life.   

   
 
Grateful for the hugs . . .  both in real time and from afar.  


The comfort that is to be found in routine. In doing things as you have always done them, even when you don't feel like doing them. Routine just helps you to keep moving forward . . .
The love and support of my husband.  He is so special to me.  I love him with all of my heart and am so grateful to have found him. I wish we could have had a family together, but alas that was not to be.  He is a good man and I am blessed to have him in my life. Everyone should be so blessed. 
And a multitude of other things, large and small.  Every day may not be a good day, but there is truly something good in every day.  You can't find it if you are not actively seeking it.  Its there, just waiting to be discovered.  It truly is there  . . .

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
We must constantly remind ourselves
that He is God and we are not. 
~Jeffrey R Holland   •。★★ 。* 。   


Garlic Steak Bites & Potatoes  


In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Garlic Steak Bites & Potatoes.  Simple, easy and delicious.   Yum!


I hope your week ahead is filled with small and wonderful things.  Don't forget along the way,
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too!


4 comments:

  1. The Littles are fun to watch grow up for me..And yes you are a crafty bunch..take care Marie...:)Nice to see them appreciating your thoughtfulness:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! I love watching my littles growing up. Especially these sweet grandsons of mine. I was facetiming with our Doug last night and I think they have sent me a letter! I am on pins and needles until it gets here! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Tis wonderful to see that some of your children are trying to raise your grandchildren as you tried to raise them!! It is not easy being a great distance from them, how well I know as most of ours are on the opposite coast...but skype can sure help!! Glad for that!!
    HUGS and hoping you are daily comforted in your loss,
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eliabeth. I love my grandchildren. I wish I could be closer in distance to them, but it is what it is. I am grateful for some sons who make a concerted effort to include me and to make sure their boys know who I am! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!