Friday 11 September 2009

When I fall down . . . I get up!



"Someday I hope to enjoy enough of what the world calls success so that somebody will aske me, "What's the secret of it?" I shall say simply this: "I get up when I fall down."
~Paul Harvey

First of all, I want to seriously thank all of you for your very kind words and your encouragement. That was a really big step for me yesterday to tell you all about my battle. I have been tempted to for weeks now, but didn't want to take the chance of anyone deluging me with negativity when it was such early days. I feel quite confident now, both in myself and in the program . . . confident enough to tell you about it at any rate!

Some of you have asked what exactly Hypno Therapy is. I wasn't quite sure before I started going either. I was a bit worried that I would have to lay on a couch while someone waved a watch in front of my face and sent me into a trance where they could plant all sorts of nonsense into my brain. It is nothing like that at all. You simply relax in a chair and it's like day dreaming. You are, for the most part, completely cognizant of what's going on in the room, outside the room, etc. You are just very relaxed and listening with your sub conscious mind. You can stop it at any time you wish. You are not helpless, and you are in control. What I like about it is that it comes along with some "one on one" therapy with a qualified therapist who helps you to deal with the underlying issues of people with overweight problems, and there always are issues. You will often find that people who have weight problems have come from abusive relationships, or have been emotionally or sexually abused by someone. That may not be the problem at all, but there is generally a control issue here somewhere and the therapy helps you to get at the problem, whatever it is, and to deal with it. At least that is how it has been with me.



I have to stress that, This is not a Diet Program. There are no gimmicks and no special foods to eat. You eat whatever you want, whenever you want, as long as you follow the two basic rules. You only eat when you are truly hungry, and you only eat until you are satisfied. This is the way that naturally slim people eat and it's the way you came into the world eating. We are born with an automatic reflex which tells us when we are hungry and when we are satisfied. Babies don't over eat, unless they are overfed. Most often they will simply turn away when they have had enough, or fall asleep. Some of us lose this natural ability through environment and experience and this program helps you to tune back into it. It's pretty wonderful really.

It is not cheap by any stretch, and a part of what has really helped me to work with this is knowing that my husband cared about me and loved me enough to fork out the money right away up front. I know that is not an option for a lot of people. We just happened to have a little bit of money saved. It was a bit of a sacrifice, but then again, after praying about it, we thought that it was money well spent if it worked. I am only a young woman and I was feeling like an old woman. I have a job which requires me to spend hours and hours on my feet and often late into the night, and I am also the major bread winner in our home, and we were both beginning to be afraid that I would not be able to keep it up for much longer with all the health and pain problems that I was experiencing, and so for us it was an easy decision to make.



There is a cheaper way to do it though, and if you are completely dedicated to losing weight it can and will work. That is what Angie is doing and it's working for her. That is to purchase the book, I Can Make You Thin, by Paul McKenna. That is a link which takes you to the American Amazon site, but you can access the UK one here. (No, I am not being paid to promote this book! lol)

If you are wanting to know more about the program you can catch up with it and with Angie's journey as well, on our shared page, Going Down Down Down. That is where we will be writing about our struggles and successes. Angie is going the Paul McKenna route, and I have been doing a bit of both. It is working for both of us. I would encourage you to continue the journey with us and read our page and keep up with our updates.

I really don't want to go on about it much more on this page, but I do thank you for your kind thoughts and wishes. They mean ever so much to me. MWHA!



By the by, other good news is that my first rubber stamp is being sent to the manufacturer now, and will be ready for purchase soon! Woo hoo! I was beginning to get a bit discouraged and thinking that just wasn't going to happen anytime soon! Now if I could only get a fire cracker under that publishers butt! Patience is a virtue they say and it is something that surely trys me . . . every day!

If you are looking for a totally delicious apple pie, that will blow your socks off. Look no further. This is it. The cadillac of apple pies. Well, at least it is for me. It's a recipe I got from a Mennonite friend many years ago and I make it at least once every year during apple season. It's far too dangerous to make it too often, really . . .



*Cream and Crumb Schnitz Pie*
Makes one 9 inch pie
Printable Recipe

This has to be hands down my all time favourite apple pie. I got it from a mennonite friend years and years ago now and I wish I had a pound for every time I have baked it through the years, always to high accolades! You'll be getting up in the middle of the night to grab yourself that last piece that was leftover after dinner before anyone can get it!

pastry for one 9-inch pie shell
1 cup soft light brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
3 TBS softened butter
4 to 7 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
(Enough to fill the pie shell)
2/3 cup of sweet or sour cream
3/4 tsp cinnamon



Pre-heat the oven to 205*C/425*F. Blend the sugar, flour and butter together to crumbs. Place the pie shell into the pie dish, trimming and crimping the top. Sprinkle 1/2 of the brown sugar crumbs in the bottom of the shell. Cover with the sliced apples. Mix half of the remaining crumbs with the sour cream and pour over top of the apples. Mix the remaining crumbs with the cinnamon and sprinkle over top of the cream mixture. Bake in the heated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 180*C/350*F. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes more, until the top is golden brown and the apples are soft. Let cool to room temperature before serving.


If you are looking for an interesting and healthy way to cook fish for dinner, hop on over to The English Kitchen. I have a delicious alternative to fish and chips for you today!

6 comments:

  1. You were always beautiful to me... but I am so happy for you and proud of you. You look so good and it looks like you are feeling so much better. I hope that I can get into this. I got the book like Angie did,but I haven't done anything with it yet. I want to feel happy with myself the way you and Angie do. I am just so very happy for you. WOW... keep up the good work. Love you, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Marie,

    I wasn't surprised by your announcement, because you had been hinting!

    I think your blog shows that you are very talented, and you are a beautiful person inside, which is more important than whether you are fat or thin on the outside. You have to love yourself, because inside you are still the same person, whether you lose weight or gain weight.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna K from Limehouse.11 September 2009 at 12:54

    Dear MArie,
    I don't think there is a woman out there who will feel anything but happiness for you when you have lost as much weight as you have. Sista--this is a battle every one of us sistas fight. So we rejoice that here is one of us who fought and WON. YIPPEE.

    Anna

    Limehouse. Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best part(to me)is that you are worth it to Todd, the money, the time, the encouragement. I find so many people almost driven to despondency because over time their partners lose interest in or do not value what it important to them.

    Todd's being in your corner is a huge boost to this. I hope this(the whole "plan") turns out to be a successful instrument for your use.
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm seding you encouraging thougths and wishes from here. I just bagan reading you blog(new to this) and I am so impressed with your talent; it blows me aways.
    Good luck Marie;
    Hugs
    Rta/Sage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is wonderful, Marie. And now I'm going to check out your shared page--and the book. (As you can see, I'm way behind in mu blogging--just getting to read this post today.) You are such an encouragement.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!