Wednesday 9 September 2009

Planting seeds as we go . . .



"What seed have you sown in your garden of mind?
Wha thoughts have you sent into space?
Remember they yield you a harvest in kind,
A life you henceforth must face.

For you are the sower, you choose your own seed.
You fashion your future each day.
Your garden is fertile, producing with speed,
The fruit of each thought tucked away.

So if you wish happiness, health and peace,
Then choose well each seed as you sow.
Your future is shaped by the thoughts you release,
Each hour, each day as you go.
~Elizabeth B Waddell

I found this little poem and I thought to myself, how very true these words are. We are, each of us, the master's of our own destinies. If we sow evil around us, it is bound to come home to roost, and the reverse it also true. If we sow seeds of kindness, then kindness will be sure to bounce back our way. We surely do reap what we sow. Life is hard for all of us at one time or another. It goes in ebs and flows. The difference between a happy life or not . . . is in how we choose to face it, and the things we choose to plant along the way . . .



I do have a confession to make, but not just yet. I am waiting for something first, but soon, people, soon! I promise. I want everything in place first. I am a bit messy sometimes, but I do like to be organized. Things just work much better that way for me.

That's about all I have to share with you this morning. Sometimes I am full of words, and sometimes I'm not. I have often wondered, do I go on a bit too much? I don't know! I often wonder, do people visit me here at Oak Cottage for my thoughts, or for the recipes, or for a little bit of both? I like to think that it is a combination of things, and that I am able to uplift or inspire you with both. If I'm deluding myself, please don't let me know! ☺




Here is an easy and comforting soup that is just right for this time of year. We never know what each day is going to bring to the table weatherwise. It can be chilly and rather cold one day and then hot as hades the next. I often think that's why you see so many colds and sniffles around. This tasty soup will help to chase them away!



*Farmhouse Cheddar Soup*
Serves 8
Printable Recipe

This soup is delicious. I use a combination of cheese in it, but you can leave the blue cheese out without too much problem, if it is not to your taste. I, personally, like the slight tang it gives. If you wish you can reserve a few of the florets of cauliflower and then saute them until lightly browned in some butter, and use them to garnish the top. It does make a nice touch.

4 cups vegetable stock
2 cups chopped, peeled potato
1 head of cauliflower, trimmed and broken into florets
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
2 cups strong cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (optional)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried dill weed
1/4 tsp dried mustard
1/8 tsp white pepper
3/4 cup whole milk

Combine the stock, potatoes, cauliflower, onions, carrots and garlic in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender.

Remove from the heat and let it cool for 15 minutes. If you have a stick blender use it to puree the soup until it is smooth. If not you may have to use a food processor or standing blender to do it in small batches, but proceed with care as you can get a nasty burn by doing so. The heat of the soup creates an expansion of air and it can blow the lid right off your blender! (If I am using this method I always put a towel over the top of the blender and then hold it down tightly!!!)

Return to the pan and whisk in the milk, 1 ½ cups of the cheddar cheese, blue cheese (if using), dill, dry mustard and white pepper. Taste for seasoning and add salt if needed. Cook and stir until the cheese is all melted and amalgamated and the soup is hot.

Serve in heated bowls with the rest of the cheese sprinkled on top. I like to make some little buttered croutons to float on top as well. I just cut out shapes of bread with a tiny cookie cutter and brush them with a little butter and toast them in a hot oven until they are nicely browned. A very delicious touch and quite pretty to look at!



Pork and apple together in a pie? Not possible? Check out The English Kitchen to find out just how possible and how delicious this can be!


17 comments:

  1. Dear Marie,
    I was first drawn to Oak Cottage by the recipes and then found your thoughts and musings so inspiring. I visit almost every day and always feel better for it. You have certinaly touched my life in a very positive way and I also really enjoy the cooking aspect.
    Thank you so much,
    Ber in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum! Cheese in soup is lush! As for the poem - I really love this...and it speaks out to me particularly today because I've been troubled.

    Generally I try to be a good person - I work hard to be kind and caring and it is important to me that people see me this way. But sometimes I feel like a fraud.
    Very occassionally, underneath, without telling anyone, I feel jealousy towards some of my closest friends and sometimes I even hope they will fail at their endeavours. I feel awful thinking that and I don't want to think that way but sometimes I can't help it. How does one address that? I think I need to try and rise above these base feelings and try to overcome them but we're only human sometimes are we not? This poem helps though - it makes me want to continue to improve and be better...ah that was a bit too deep for a wednesday morning...hope you don't mind - it just kind of came out! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love cheddar soup -- and love the idea for the croutons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your journal for both the comforting words and the comfort food recipes you so generously share. Hopefully you won't keep us waiting long to hear the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about your blog...it is like coming home to a Happy, nurturing cottage with a wonderful friend inside. I love your happy music and have purchased and added several of your songs to my iTunes list as they have become favorites of mine too.

    I am like you and have also felt kind of wordless lately.. Odd, as it rarely happens, but sometimes it does.

    I have kept many of your recipes as well even though cooking is not my favorite thing I am starting to want to do it more just from reading your blog.

    I also love the things you share about the Church, your beautiful photography and art...it is a winning formula for a place I never want to miss! Thanks, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Marie, I read your post every day, for both recipes and the lovely thoughts you write. I always feel in a happier mood after reading them, and I feel like heading right to the kitchen to start cooking. You truly are a delightful wordsmith, and an excelling cook. Sincerely MCcanada p.s. I love your other two blogs too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all aspects of your posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is NAUGHTY! You can't - think about my poor curiosity.

    Hmm, I wonder what it can be that you're 'fessing up about? Have you robbed a bank? Won the lottery? Emigrated to Australia? Found out you have rich relations? Had Todd hocus-pocussed so he likes chocolate? And pasta?

    No, I have to admit you're not delusional. Yours is the first blog I head for and I mostly read every word,

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marie you and this place of yours is perfect! I love your musings and your recipes! It wouldn't be a day without stopping here for a slice of life from your viewpoint, encouraging words, inspiration, and good dose of something delicious to eat as well... Don't change a thing! And just love this soup today...YUM!... Sorry not to have been around much this week, just terribly busy at the moment. We're still painting that fence around the property before autumn really sets in and it gets to cold--but end in sight! And just life, you know...so much to a day! Hope you're having a lovely week so far my friend...Miss you and LOVE YOU HEAPS & HEAPS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Marie,
    I am from Malta and I visit Oak Cottage daily.I feel as if I am talking with my mother thanks for positive writing and the love you show in your words and for the recip
    es too.
    love xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Maraie,

    I think people visit you because of how you make us (me) all feel. The recipes are the topping on the cake...but your thoughts and words inspire me to be and do better. I love the way you love the Lord and want to always be HIS daughter in all you do.
    Thanks for being a wonderful example of goodness!
    Oh and for all the yummies!!!

    PS I think your art talents are an extra ordinary gift you have been blessed with:-)
    ~♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are not deluding yourself.(I'm not a bit biased) I eat up every word you write just as I eat up the fruits of your delicious recipes....in fact I must make this soup soon ( I am glad that it is in measurements that I understand)lol

    I send you love. Have a great evening. We are subbing at the temple again this week so I must get busy and get my Wed. work done this morning. My house is calling to me.
    XOXO Lura

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds SO lovely - I have to try it this fall as the weather is changing and things are cooling. Mmmmm - hearty and filling. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Marie!

    What a yummy looking soup! Looks perfect for the cool Fall weather that we will be getting soon!

    I love coming by for your uplifting words and your yummy food. Love your blog my friend!

    XOO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  15. You my friend are a gift to the Universe. You have shared so much with soooooo many we love you and that's why we come to see you daily on your blog. I hope you know that your words are always ever so kind and always a welcomed treat in my cyber world on my lap top. Your recipes are an additonal treat. I feel as though we've known you forever in a way I guess we have and have just reconnected. One other thing you share are those amazing photos of plants, flowers, just your surroundings that you share are words in and of themselves. Amazing always comes to mind, I stand in awe of your talents many of which you share so gracioulsy. Take care and as I've said before if ever I were a blogger I would pattern my blog after yours I love the layout, I love your writings I love all of it I just can't figure out how everyone keeps up with it all. Love to you and hope you have a most wonderful day tomorrow or is it already today. Happy day whichever. love cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so proud of you!!! You are looking great!!! I am happy that this is working so well for you. I got the book...I hope it will work for me too.

    You really do look great!!
    Much love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  17. i come to yuor blog for lots of reasons. 1-i love you! :) 2-your inspirational words and then lastly your divine and delicious recipes. you are all around wonderful marie!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!