Thursday 24 September 2009

Thursday Thoughts . . .



If you think you are beaten, you are;

If you think you dare not, you don't.
If you like to win, but think you can't,
It's almost a cinch you won;t.
If you think you'll lose, you're lost,
For out in the world we find
Success begins with a fellow's will;
It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are;
You've got to think high to rise.
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.
Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or the faster man;
But soon or late the man who wins,
Is the man who thinks he can.
~Walter D Wintle


I found this poem and thought it quite profound and inspiring. Sometimes I get to feeling a bit low about my artwork, and I start to second guess myself. I look at it and I think to myself . . . that it's really not all that good. Rejection after rejection from card companies doesn't help. Seeing my prints sit in my etsy shop for month after month doesn't help either. And so, for a time I stop trying.



But there is this little desire in me that needs to get out, that needs to express itself . . . and so I pick up my brushes again and I paint. I guess the truth is, that I paint because I can't not paint . . . and my head and heart are filled with all these little pictures and thoughts that just have to get out.

I ask myself, do I paint for others? or do I paint for me? I guess it is a mixture of both . . . I paint first of all because it brings me joy and secondly, because I hope it will bring someone else some joy too . . .



It is easy to get disheartened in the fact of rejection and seeming lack of interest . . . but then you need to remind yourself that a person is only a failure when they stop trying at all . . . and so I keep moving forward, hoping that one day . . . one day . . .

Lots of artists become famous and their work much desired, after they die. I hope that I don't have to wait that long . . .



I cooked a roast chicken the other day and made my ex mother in law's potato stuffing to go along with it. Old fashioned and tasty, this is the only stuffing recipe I use for the most part, unless I am trying out something new. Made with nothing more than potatoes, bread, a bit of onion, celery and herbs, we happen to think it's pretty wonderful. It's quite similar to my mom's, except in hers the onion is left raw and the bread in larger chunks. It doesn't matter how many times I try to replicate my mother's . . . I can never get it to taste the same. Must be that extra touch of love she puts into it. This tasty recipe of my ex's mom is a close second though and we really enjoy it. I hope you will too. It's not much to look at, actually, but it sure tastes good. I call it Grammy R's coz, that's who she was to my kids . . . Grammy R.



*Grammy R's Potato Stuffing*
Makes enough to stuff one large roasting chicken
Printable Recipe

This was my ex mother in law's recipe for stuffing. I always doubled and tripled the recipe as the stuffing was always my family's favourite part of the meal. You can use it to stuff a chicken or a small turkey, or you can do as I normally did and bake it in a casserole dish.

2 cups fine bread crumbs
1 1/2 cups mashed potatoes (use no butter or milk)
1/4 cup melted butter
1 small onion, peeled and chopped finely
1 stalk of celery, chopped finely
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp summer savoury
salt and black pepper to taste



Place the butter, onion and celery in a plastic container. Cover with cling film and then cook on high in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes. Place the mashed potatoes in a bowl. Stir in the onion/butter mixture and the bread crumbs, along with the poultry seasoning, summer savoury and some salt and pepper. Taste and adjust as necessary. You may need more of the herbs or seasoning according to your own individual taste. The dressing is now done and ready to cook as you wish.

If you wish to, you may use it to stuff a large chicken or a small turkey, cooking as per the instructions for cooking a chicken or turkey. If you wish to cook it separately then do as follows.

Butter a casserole dish well. Crumble the stuffing into the casserole. Spoon a little warm chicken broth over top and dot with butter. Cover and bake in a moderate oven (160*C/350*F) for 30 to 40 minutes. You can uncover the last 10 minutes of baking if you want some crunchy bits.



If you're looking for a dessert that's quick easy and built to impress, look no further. The English Kitchen has just the ticket! Frozen Lemon Souffles. Yummy Scrummy!


8 comments:

  1. Being an artist is never easy. Getting one's vision seen, voice heard, etc. is always a challenge. Sometimes recognition, acceptance, success (depending on how we define all that) takes longer than we think it will. I feel the same as you do much of the time with my jewelry & accessories business. Some weeks are better than others. But the creative sanctuary is always there no matter the recognition. Take comfort in the creative process. Success in way one shape or form comes when we do something we love, something we need to do. Take heart and keep going, my friend! :o) The potato stuffing today is different, don't think I've seen a recipe quite like that before--it looks very good! Happy Day...LOVE YOU HEAPS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had potatoes in my stuffing before. It does sound good and will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't give up marie! your artwork is beautiful-keep on keepin on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your artwork is wonderful. Just like you believe in my writing, I believe in your art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your art is so beautiful! God gave you this wonderful talent and you are making poeple happy just looking at what you design. I used to complain that He forgot to give me talents; I can't sing, dance,garden, draw,etc etc, but I think my talent is to enjoy everyone's talent. And I do! Now I started this blogging thing and I found out I love to write.I'm very happy I met you and I love to read about your recipes and look at all that you create.Keep on!!!
    Hugs,
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello my friend!

    What a wonderful poem. Your artwork is so beautiful! I just love it!

    And that stuffing looks so good! I hope you had a nice day today! Thanks so much for the ecard - it was whimsical and so touching. You are a treasured friend!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your artwork is beautiful! Thanks for the potato stuff recipe--it sounds so good and different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie, We all get down on ourselves, but you mustn't give up. Think what joy you receive for yourself in drawing each one and enjoy it even more. Happy days are ahead! Love to you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!