Monday 21 September 2009

The Simple Woman's Day Book . . .



FOR TODAY, September 21st, 2009 ... the first day of autumn

Outside My Window...

It is pitch black and so very quiet. It is hard to believe that just a few short weeks ago it was daylight at this time and the birds were singing. The weeks pass by so quickly it seems . . . before we know it . . . it will be winter. Shhh . . . I didn't say that . . .

I am thinking...
About something that was said in one of the talks in church yesterday. The theme of our sacrament meeting was "Standing in Holy Places." One of the speakers made a very profound statement that really stuck with me. He said (and I am paraphrasing it here) that Jesus not only died for us . . . but that he had also lived for us. It really touched my heart. I know that we all focus on the atonement and that great sacrifice that Christ gave for us when He died on the cross, but how often do we think about the life that He lived for us . . . the years He spent as an exemplar, showing us what to do, and how to do it. The many lessons He taught us by His words and example. These years were every bit as important to us as His ultimate act of love for us.

I am thankful for...
I am so very thankful for the telephone. It means that I am never more than a few seconds from hearing the voices of my loved ones and special friends who are so very far away. I got to talk to my mom yesterday and it was so good to hear her voice. She's very excited because my brother is coming down from Ottawa for a visit at the weekend. He's going to spend a few days fixing things and seeing all that she needs to have done. I hope the visit goes well. I wish that I could go and spend a few days with her, but nevermind . . . the plan next summer is to go over and spend three weeks, so I'll just have to wait til then. It was lovely as always to hear her voice and to share a wonderful conversation with each other. As always, we talked far too long, but that's ok. It is worth every penny.

From the kitchen...
Oh, there's some tasty goodies. An Apple/Pear Sauce loaf awaits, along with some tasty shortbreads. There's a tasty stew in the fridge that I made yesterday that we are going to have for our dinner today along with some yummy mashed spuds . . . I have my Dorie Challenge to do for tomorrow . . . I know, me bad . . . left it to the last minute again!

I am wearing...
A pink nightie with white polka dots and my croc sandles. I know!! Last week I was pretty much in flannels and this morning I am in a sleeveless nightie? The temperatures seem to be swinging back and forth a bit, but then again, they do this time of year . . .


I am creating...




Here she is . . . my first character doll! I'm so excited about her. Emmaline is a girl with a very big heart, and in fact this is what I am calling this creation . . . She Had A Big Heart. It's not that great a photo as I finished it up about 8 pm yesterday and the light wasn't that great. Her dress is really pink, not orange . . . pink checked seersucker fabric and the pinafore is a light blue with pink stripes and embroidery at the hem, not to mention two very antique white pearlized buttons on the bodice. She has deep pink star polkadot stockings on and little black painted shoes with white pearly buttons. I think I am going to put her up for sale. Do you think anyone will want to buy her?

I am going...
There is seminary this week, as well as Young Women's mutual. I am really enjoying teaching Seminary. As usual I am learning far more than I am teaching. Funny how that goes! I have the Young Women's Mutual activity on Thursday evening as well. This week they are having a combined activity with the Young Men. It's called Colditz, and they have done it before and usually have great fun with it. It involves a lot of running about the chapel and lots of energy. Whew!

I am reading...



I am reading The Last Concubine by Lesley Downer, and I am really enjoying it very much. It combines three of my loves . . . oriental history, mystery and romance. The Last Concubine is the story of a shogun, a princess and the three thousand women of the women’s palace - all of whom really existed - and of the civil war that brought their way of life to an end. Growing up deep in the mountains of rural Japan, Sachi has always felt different, her pale skin and fine features setting her apart from her friends and family. When at the age of eleven she is swept off to the women’s palace in the great city of Edo, her life changes forever, and when she is chosen as the young shogun’s concubine, it changes even more. But Black Ships have come from the west, bringing foreigners, and as civil war erupts, Sachi has to flee for her life. Rescued by a rebel warrior, she finds unknown feelings stirring within her, but before she dare dream of a life with him, she must unravel the mystery of her own origins - a mystery that encompasses a wrong so terrible it threatens to destroy her. It's a pretty thick book so it will take me a while to get through it, but I am sure I'll enjoy every minute!!

I am hoping...
That I can get all the things done this week that I want and need to get done. There doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day these past few weeks. I told Todd yesterday that I am soon going to have to start getting up at 4 am instead of 5 just to fit in all the things I want to be doing!

I am hearing...
It's all very quiet . . . a few minutes ago I heard a Vixen calling . . . an eerie and lonely sound. It strikes a discord of fear into my heart, although I know not why . . . it is just a somewhat scarey sound. Beyond that the clock is ticking and I am just beginning to hear the cries of a few birds . . . early ones it seems, because it is still fairly dark out there!

Around the house...



I have some china bits sitting on the windowsill that I am hoping to sell on e-bay once I have the chance to list them. Bits and bobs of china that are quite pretty really. There's a few china boots, and a shoe with a pretty porcelain rose on the top . . . a blue and white oval platter and a china swan holding china flowers on her back . . . this is a picture of one of the boots.

One of my favorite things...
is collecting roosters and chickens. I have quite a few and most of them sit on the shelf which is above our stove. They make me smile and I quite, quite adore them.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...
Work, painting and cooking, with a dash of Seminary and Mutual thrown in. They say there is no rest for the wicked . . . so I must be really, really bad!!! (but in a very good way, don't you think??)

Here is picture thought I am sharing...



"A few days ago I walked along the edge of the lake and was treated to the crunch and rustle of leaves with each step I made. The acoustics of this season are different and all sounds, no matter how hushed, are as crisp as autumn air."
- Eric Sloane


Already the leaves are quickly changing and beginning to fall from the trees. Some of the bushes on our walks are filled with nothing but red berries, waiting for hungry birds to pluck them from their waiting branches . . . the views across the South Downs are nothing short of spectacular and I go there often to look across the way, and to think and ponder all the goodness in my life . . .

And there you have it, my Simple Woman's Day Book for today. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!)

To go with the theme of simplicity today I think a simple recipe is in order, don't you think? If you have some English Muffins in the house and some eggs, bacon and cheese, this . . . too . . . can be yours in just a few minutes . . .



*That Breakfast Muffin*
Makes 1
Printable Recipe

I have given the amounts for one, but of course you can multiply this by however many you wish to serve. Why go out and get something that is mediocre when you can make an incredibly tastier one at home!

1 English muffin
2 slices of streaky bacon
1 free range large egg
1 slice of processed cheese
butter



First fry your bacon in a lightly greased pan until it is to your desired crispness. Set aside and keep warm. Wipe the pan out and melt a knob of butter in it over medium heat. When the butter is sizzling, drop in your egg and cook, again to your desired doneness, flipping it over halfway through the cooking. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm. Take your English Muffin and split it in half by pressing a fork into it through the centre all the way around horizontally. This creates craggy little nooks to hold all the butter and juices. Toast. When toasted butter it lightly. Place the bacon on the bottom half. Top with the egg, folding it here and there to make it fit. Top with a slice of processed cheese and finally place the other half of the muffin on top. Sit back and enjoy.



And then, for something that is quite, quite SIMPLY moreishly delish . . . pop on over to The English Kitchen.

Happy Monday everyone, and Happy First Day of Autumn!


11 comments:

  1. Hi, Marie! Your doll is SENSATIONAL!! Really, you did an outstanding job on creating her and bringing her to life. So many folks collect doll, that I'm sure many would love to collect one of your special creations. Let us know how this new adventures goes! What a sweet start to the week here... Love that autumnal photo near the end. And that Breakfast Muffin looks so good. Miles better than McDonald's offerings--LOL! Hope we get a chance to talk soon--Miss you! LOVE YOU HEAPS, dear friend :o) ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me please, me please! I would buy that dolly. In fact, if she's still going I WILL buy her. I'll email you.

    I'm sure we forget sometimes that Jesus was a man, an ordinary man. We only pick up his life from him being about 30, though we learn snatches of things He did before that. But he didn't live his life shut in a cupboard waiting for somebody to fetch him out when a miracle was needed. He must have gone about his business same as 'us'. He was a child so he must have been a bit naughty sometimes - well, we know he was. Probaby got clipped round the ear occasionally by his earthly dad. He must have been a spotty, stroppy teenager with an unpredictable voicebox and dodgy hormones. And ultimately he must have made his mother proud. I hope she was.

    Happy Monday,
    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The doll is adorable. I don't think you'll have any trouble selling her. The trouble might be that there is just one. Your breakfast sandwich is one of my very favorites and it's often my breakfast. I don't make it however but pick it up on my way to work each morning...
    Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie , from Canada.Sault Ste. Marie Ontario.I have been waiting for your doll.This is going to be big I just know it.I wish you were closer.I have been reading your blog every day.I never miss.It was the first thing I did every morning.While ill this last year you helped me through it.Your visit to the states, your vacation.Please know that you truly have a friend here in this border town.Best wishes from Laurie .

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, just popping in to say hello and to read your words of wisdom for the day... :)

    oh and to salivate when i look at your food! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Love your cute Emmaline doll. I am sure it will sell, especially as everyone begins to think about Christmas. Ha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Marie!

    I love your character doll -- so cute! She is darling.

    That breakfast muffin looks wonderful. Yum! I really want to read that book. I love historical fiction -- it looks right up my alley.

    I hope you have a wonderful week!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute dolly! I don't think you'll have any trouble selling her.

    I love what you said about Jesus living for us and not just dying for us. I grow more and more thankful each day that He left us the example of what to do in day to day life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, Emmaline is adorable. You're a very creative lady :)

    cioa,
    Elena

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Marie,
    I am slowly getting caught up on my favorite blogs after being gone over the weekend. I love you little doll, she is so cute! I think you could sell a lot of those!

    We are having that fluctuating weather pattern too..hot then cold and windy. Some days vary by as much as 30 degrees from the previous day..

    Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your doll! Well done!! She's so sweet and I'm sure someone will buy her!

    Beautiful photo and quote about the sounds of the changing season. I wholeheartedly agree.

    How was that book?

    ~Ally

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!