Monday 1 July 2024

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. What you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.





Happy Canada Day to all my friends, family and readers!  157 years old, it was on this day in 1867 that the various territories of Canada officially became a country, including Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and the province of Canada, although retaining our ties to the British Empire.

When I was a child, Canada day was known as Dominion Day and our flag was the Union Jack. It was not until 1982 that we gained full independence and gained our own constitution.

Today our country will be celebrated across the width and breadth of it for the beautiful nation that it is.

I, for one, am grateful to be Canadian and to have been brought up in this beautiful land of plenty.  I have never known true want, having been coddled my whole life with free health care, having been freely educated from kindergarten to Grade 12 and even my post secondary/trade education at a local community college was free.  War had not touched the soil of my country in my lifetime.

As a country we do have our problems, but our Government is working at tackling those. When compared to other places in the world, we are all relatively blessed.  I am grateful for that.

 

I am grateful for my little home.  For these four walls that help to keep me safe, dry and warm and fill my heart with contentedness.  It is more than I could have hoped for, truly.  My only wish is that it had more light in the kitchen, but other than that it is perfect for me.  Just the right size and I don't have to worry about mowing any grass or shoveling any snow.  I am truly blessed.




This little man who keeps me perfect company.  All he asks for is food in his belly, a comfortable place to sleep and a few scratches behind the ear.  He is a bit of a bumbler. I love my little Nutmeg.




Cinnamon is the same, the perfect companion.  She, too, makes very few demands on me.  I love my little Cinnamon as well. She is a little sweetheart, twice as fast as her brother, who is twice her size.  She is a great little hunter.  


They actually work together on this.  I have watched them and it is fascinating.


These two beautiful creatures are as different as chalk and cheese, and add such a beautiful light to my life.  I could ask for no better company.


 



My life is indeed filled with happy things. I am truly blessed.  I am so blessed to have family close by.  I did not know that I could be so content by myself.  I had always thought that I needed a man to share my life with.  That is how I was brought up.  To get my high school diploma and then get married.  Those were the expectations placed upon me.  I thought the husband was a necessary thing. I have learned over these past few years that the husband is not necessary and that my life can be totally complete, full and filled with joy without one in it. I find myself wondering why it is that I ever thought the opposite.

That is not to say that I wouldn't LIKE someone to share my life with, but that I don't NEED someone to share my life with. There is a huge difference.  My life is my own and my decisions are my own. I can eat what I want when I want. I can go to bed when I want to and hog all the covers. Watch whatever I want to on the television without any channel surfing at all.  All the choices and decisions in this sweet home of mine are down to me and  nobody else. I can have company when I choose to have company.  But I am content. Sink or swim, it is all down to me.

This is the first time in my life that I have been totally on my own like this. I quite like it! My life is filled with happy things!


 

Dad seems to have settled in very well to Cindy's and seems to be very content there.  Princess also.  She has settled well, which is a relief.  There have been no major incidents in the past week really.   Yesterday I managed to help Dad get his solitaire back on his computer, which he enjoys so much. He couldn't find it.  

We had a lovely supper together at Cindy's.  She made some shake and bake chicken drumsticks. I had not had those in a very long time. She also made this really delicious spinach rice which I absolutely have to make myself. It was fabulous. Fresh garden beans and then strawberries and whipped cream for dessert.

Family dinners are the best!


 

I did not go to church yesterday. That makes three weeks I have not gone for one reason or another. Yesterday it was raining quite heavily and they were holding church down in Annapolis which is a good hour away.  I am actually not sure where the chapel is. I couldn't face driving all that way, not knowing where I was going in heavy rain.  So I just stayed home and listened to good music, puttering about.

I watched the finale to The Chosen last evening and was in tears, knowing what is coming next.  Even if you are not a religious person I think you would enjoy this show.  It is so very well done.  Every single episode touches my heart.  They have approached the Gospels in such a beautiful way as to be relatable and understandable, without being preachy in the least.   I, quite simply, love it.


 

A common simple life without drama.  Slow days, slower nights.  Simple things.  Calm and uncomplicated.  Nothing extraordinarily exciting.  I like this   p a c e   of life.  It suits me to a "T." Small town life, without much embellishment.  A bit of sun. A bit of rain. Faith. Family. Home. Friends. 

To live a simple life in peace is no small thing, but it is a very wonderful thing.


 

Good books to read.  The classics. Something to keep you entertained and interested. Filling the mind and soul with good things, things that uplift and inspire.  We live in an often very nasty world.  Filling your life with as much good as you can is no small thing and is very fulfilling.

I do not watch the news. I know some people keep the news on all the time. I could not bear it.  I do keep informed but I do not dwell on things like that.  I know as much as I need to know.  I fill my mind and heart with things that make me feel content and not afraid, that match my faith.


 

I had a bit of a lie in this morning.  I didn't get up until after 7 a.m.  I have not done that in a very long time.  I have been very slow at getting things done this morning. It is a quiet morning for me, and I am enjoying it.  Slow to start, a slower pace.  Happy Canada Day.

The sun is shining over the rooftops across the way, with a bright blue sky and a few fluffy clouds.  All is right in my world at the moment and I will gladly take it.  Life is good.


A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *The more you praise and celebrate your life,
the more there is in life to celebrate.
~Oprah Winfrey° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 




Cindy and I took a nice drive up the Valley on Saturday and visited a few Farmers Markets.  I wrote about it on The English Kitchen today and shared what I bought.  We had a great time. There is not a lot of fresh local produce available yet, but there is some and we had a great time exploring a few new ones that we had not been to yet, but will surely be revisiting as the season progresses!  Good times!

I hope that you have a lovely day.  A day filled with beauty, light and love. Whatever you get up to, don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

 

And I do too! 
 


9 comments:

  1. Happy Monday and Happy Canada Day. A new month has started. Our farm stand said it would be their last weekend for strawberries and they now have some new potatoes, peas and beans, so we'll stop over this week. I love new potatoes, boiled with a knob of butter on them. Good to hear your Dad and his cat have settled in well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Canada Day Linda! It is always so surprising to me how quickly the strawberry season ends. We need to enjoy them while we can! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I don't remember Dominion Day and Union Jack but J does..Happy we got our own flag..although the UJ is cute lol.Ill have to read up on that;) Fun going to markets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the UJ myself. Red, white and blue are my favorite color combination! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Oh wonderful and Blessed day! Great news about your Dad and Princess! Your writing about being alone and recognizing the benefits of independence is comforting and inspiring. Can you believe that girls got married at 13 in the Deep South, and went on to have many childdren? I don't know if they still do, but this is absolutely the way it was done, where young women were not encouraged to be independent and to enjoy the freedom to go and be whatever they chose to be. Home-economics and Being Cute was encouraged though; and girls never knew what higher math and the sciences looked like, for the most part. Boys were applauded, and sought after, and they preened around thinking they were The Gift to be admired. Now I am a romantic, and I think relationships and not being alone are a wonderful way to live, so I am not discouraging marriage. All in due time, though, and AFTER the young woman is well educated, with a college degree in hand; a good job that is self-supporting; and a little experience in life as well. In my opinion, young women should be taught how to protect themselves from pregnancy (contraception), and should also be taught that it's ok not to have children, if that's how they feel about it. It's uplifting to hear of your healing, Marie, and how you have survived and are thriving! Your writing of your pathway, all of it, is a literary witness! Thank you very much. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your very kind words. We have come a long way from the way girls were treated way back then for sure! I had always dreamt of true love. I think it is a very rare thing. I have not seen anyone in my closest family except for my brother experience it. It is also hard work. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Time with loved ones...no matter doing what, that is the best of all!! Our daughter made it up last night, between storms fortunately. We just have simple foods...was breakfast for dinner last night...and just enjoy being together!! Glad the cat has settled down so your dad can keep her. Glad your cats hunt...that probably helps you more than you are maybe aware!!
    Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breakfast for dinner is one of my favorite things Elizabeth! I might just do that today! xoxo

      Delete
    2. PS so pleased that your daughter was able to make it up despite the storms! xo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!