Monday 22 November 2021

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard


A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.   

 

Having Sunday Dinner with my family. I went to Cindy's yesterday and she had made a lovely pot of stew which we all enjoyed.  The best part of these occasions is getting to spend some extra time with my sister, whom I love dearly. 


 

Gave my talk in church yesterday and it went well. It was supposed to be based on how the Savior ministers to the one.  I started it off by talking about one day in the life of Jesus as seen in Matthew 9 and then I went from there. It must have been okay because my Branch president said it wouldn't be too long before he asked me to give another talk.

Its a very small branch and there are not a lot of people so I guess you get to do things like give talks more often. 


 
(sleeping together on  my bed)

What a time I had on Saturday night. I was just sitting down to drink a mug of warm milk and honey when I heard Cinnamon crying. She is not one to make a lot of noise so I went to investigate.  Somehow she had gotten herself trapped behind the washer and dryer in the bathroom.  There was no way of getting her out really.  They are in there pretty snug. All I can think is she jumped on top of the washer and then over down onto the floor in back and then couldn't get out.  Nutmeg was pacing back and forth in front all distressed because he knew his sister was in trouble. I thought I was going to have to pull the washer out so I called my sister to see if they could help me.  They left to come to my aid. In the meantime I thought I would dangle a towel over the back of the washer to see if she might not try to climb up it. I did that and cajoled her for a few minutes to see if she would get the idea.  Finally she did just that.  Whew! Now I know what to do if it happens again.  I was ever so grateful for a sister and brother in law who were willing to drop what they were doing and come to my aid.  I appreciated it.  Maybe I need to not be so needy.  I should have just tried to solve the problem myself first without calling them.  I felt bad afterwards because they had come over for nothing.

But all's well that ends well and I was most grateful that I got her out.  I hope she doesn't do it again. 


I am really looking forward to spending some time with this little ginger munchkin this coming weekend. It will be fun getting to know him better. I have a cookie ornament decorating kit for us to do together as well as some other crafty things. Apparently he also enjoys science experiments.  I will have to see what I can come up with.  Time spent with family has to be the best time of all!  I have had precious little of that over the last 21 years.

 
Jessie Wilcox, Summer's Passing 

We have had an amazing autumn. The weather has been great for the most part.  Its been a bit wet here and there, but not overly so.  The temperatures have been fairly mild for the most part.  Someone told me that Nova Scotia is like the Riviera of Canada now, with the warmest temperatures. No wonder everyone wants to live here! 

Making new friends. I am slowly coming to know people in my Branch at church.  I already knew some of them from a number of years back, but am getting to know newer people now, starting to fit in a bit more.  Change is always difficult, and of course Covid makes it even more so.   


The gift of discernment.  I am learning to use it and to not be so impulsive.  Over this past week I have been presented with several opportunities that I really had to think about. I was able to sit and mull them over and come to what I believe was the right decision for me and I feel at peace about both decisions. That is when you know you have made correct choices. You feel at peace about them. 

My days pass most pleasantly.  I have my work, a bit of play.  My faith which keeps me grounded.  I go out and am greeted when I come back home by little furry faces that love me.  They keep me great company throughout the day.  I have all that I need and then some.  Oh how very blessed I am.       Life is far better than I thought it would be.


    
                                             
Who can turn the world on with her smile? 
Who can take a nothing day, 
and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile? 
Well it's you girl, and you should know it 
With each glance and every little movement you show it 
Love is all around, no need to waste it 
You can never tell, why don't you take it 
You're gonna make it after all 
You're gonna make it after all 

How will you make it on your own? 
This world is awfully big, girl this time you're all alone 
But it's time you started living 
It's time you let someone else do some giving 
Love is all around, no need to waste it 
You can never tell, why don't you take it 
You might just make it after all 
You might just make it after all 

I always did want to be Mary Tyler Moore. It took me 66 years but here I am living the dream. 

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Life with God is
not immunity from difficulties
its peace within difficulties.
~C. S. Lewis  •。★★ 。* 。 


In The English Kitchen today  . . . Savory Oven Baked Chicken & Potatoes. This is quite simply delicious.

Have a wonderful day. I hope your week ahead is filled with an abundance of small and wonderful blessings. Along the way don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 


And I do too!  


10 comments:

  1. It's about time:) You're gonna make it after all..
    And men say their wives are a ball and chain..well in many cases..it's just the opposite.You're not alone.But yes you made it..I keep reading about women who have discovered the fear they had about being alone turned to joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that thought about the fear about being alone turned into joy! Thank you Monique! xoxo

      Delete
  2. You were very resourceful in rescuing Cinnamon from behind the dryer. I'm sure Cindy and Dan were happy to come to the rescue. I think there is a little bit of Mary Tyler Moore in all of us. Needs must as they say. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Elaine! I don't know why I hadn't thought about it before I called my sister. I love that thought about a little bit of MTM being in each of us! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  3. Before long you'll be feeling as if you've lived there forever. You are home where you belong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Pam. I do feel very much at home. Thank you! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Awww. “Love is all around, no need to waste it.” Indeed. Faith, family, friends, work, play, trials, joys…life! Enjoy every minute, work hard, be kind and keep on keepin on. You’ve done remarkably well. Happy new week. xo, V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much V! Happy new week to you also! xoxo

      Delete
  5. I sweet friend, I am kind of back at least trying to read blog posts. I want to thank you for your kind thoughts on Facebook.
    I loved this post. I'm so happy that you were able to rescue your cute kitten. I have enjoyed seeing the photos of them both.
    I am excited you get some moments with one of your grandchildren.
    I love that you gave a message of Sunday. Knowing you, it was a marvelous one. You have much to give to the Kingdom of God.
    I always enjoy reading about your relationship with your sister. I love that you have time with her now.
    I know Canada has a different Thanksgiving time. However, have a great rest of the week. I hope to be back reading more soon. I have missed knowing what is happening in your corner of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving LeAnn. I know you will all be missing your sweet grandson this year, but thank goodness for the Gospel which teaches us this is not all the life that we have, ever so much to look forward to. Love and hugs, and blessings to you and Roger and the family.xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!