Monday 23 July 2018

Small and Wonderful things . . .

  


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best. 
 
 
  
 
The Voice Kids, UK.  Every day last week we watched this show as a fabulously talented group of youngsters competed to win this show.  I was awestruck at the talent of some of these children, some as young as 7 years old.  I don't know how the judges were able to weed them down to the ones that ended up in the final because they all were amazing.  It was clear at one point that this was really difficult for them because I think Will I Am was almost crying at one point when he had to choose.  ALL WINNERS!  in my books.  I have to say though as a parent and a grandmum, I am not sure that I would want any young child of mine to become famous. I know that the financial rewards are great, but I don't really think that they would outweigh the downside of what would be lost in the process.  There are not a lot of children that make it through that battleground intact.  

In fact one thing really disturbs me today and that is the fact that a lot of children, when asked what they want to be when they grow up, will answer . . . . famous, or rich.  They all want to be Kardashians.  A lot of children these days grow up far too fast. That makes me sad.  You see little girls wearing makeup and inappropriate clothing, etc.  I am grateful for a childhood where I was allowed and encouraged to be a little girl for as long as possible.

 The generosity of others.  We were gifted yesterday by an abundance of vegetables and some fresh eggs.  There are beautiful red skinned potatoes, and onions, garlic, yellow courgettes, fresh tomatoes, green beans . . . freshly laid hen's eggs. The largest English Cucumber I have ever seen.  Such an abundance.  Someone has a very green thumb. I am so very grateful for their gift. Our soil here at our house is very clay-like.  It is not good for growing anything. We tried to have a vegetable garden the first couple of years we were here but without any success for the most part. Our berries have done okay, but that is all.  We haven't even been able to really get rhubarb to grow, and that will grow just about anywhere. Anyhow, we were just flabberghasted to be given such a generous gift yesterday.  God is good. 
  


The Hydrangea which are putting on a lovely show in the garden, despite the lack of rain. We have three kinds, unfortuntely none are blue.  Just white and pink, and then this one which is quite unusual. 



It starts off as lavender and then becomes like a pale purple/pink.  Quite beautiful. 


Our wildroses are also making a spectacular show as well, despite me having picked oodles of their buds to make crystallised rosebuds. 


The Clematis and the honey suckle which are still blooming and giving  . . .


And the lavendar which the bees just love.

So while our soil  might not be good for vegetables, the flowers appear to love it. 


Mitzie is just loving her summer.  Because we have had very little rain she is able to spend lots of time exploring and sniffing in the garden.  I will see she is missing and look out and there she is, in the garden, just sitting, watching . . .  enjoying.



This naughty fella and his partner who I caught picking blueberries the other morning.  They were picking the unripe ones and dropping them to the ground and then eating the ripe ones.  C'est la vie.  They need to eat too. 


Enjoying every minute of what is likely to be our last summer here in this house.  Who knows what the coming months will bring . . .  



Whatever it is, God is good and there will be a purpose in all things  . . . 



There always is . . .  


Knowing this to be true  . . . 


This also  . . .


A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.
Speak in such a way that others
love to listen to you.
Listen in such a way that others
love to speak to you.
~unknown     •。★★ 。* 。



Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Potato, Egg & Green Bean Salad.  Delicious. It has a Dijon Herb Vinaigrette Dressing.  Lovely. Simply lovely.

Have a great day. Hope your week ahead is filled with lots of small and wonderful things.  Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too! 



 

 

 


6 comments:

  1. Your faith is admirable and I have witnessed this many times in my career..well..not many..but changes of residence etc..that people did not yearn for..and they said exactly what you said.God will provide..People of unwavering faith.
    And he did.
    You have that unwavering faith.
    Have you started looking? Not sure how it works there..here you have to give notice if you are leaving..I wish you a sweet sweet home that you will be happy you found.
    How exciting to get beautiful fresh food!! I love that!

    Have a great day Marie.Your flowers are beauteous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things always have a way of working out Monique! I love my flowers! Happy day! Xoxo

      Delete
  2. Your flowers are definitely beautiful. They are showing off the beauty of summer in their blooms. I never thought about green beans in potato salad. looks like something I would love. We have had fresh green beans here and they were so very tasty. Hope your Monday is a Happy one !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! The salad is very good with the green beans! Happy Monday! Xoxo

      Delete
  3. That recipe looks so yummy; I must try it. I am amazed at the talent children have at such a young age. I agree that being in the limelight too early isn’t always a good thing. We have a show here in America called Little Big Shots and the children they have on are so talented; its’ scary.
    I agree that children grow up way too fast and know way too much to soon. I think it is sad they don’t have the fun childhood we used to have.
    I’m happy you receive such a wonderful gift of yummy veggies. We have clay soil too and it’s hard to grow a good garden. Your flowers are all lovely.
    I love that Mitzie likes to enjoy the outdoors. Our Sammy is a stay in dog and I wish he enjoyed the outside more.
    I pray you won’t have to move but if you do; I will pray that you find a lovely place somehow.
    Sending loving thoughts and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much LeAnn! Your prayers and love are so very much appreciated! Love you right back! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!