Monday 16 July 2018

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.


Mormon Channel Music.  You can access it here.  In a world that is filled with negativity its nice to have a place I can go to and find beautifully uplifting music. It is not all hymns and church music.  They also play a lot of beautiful contemporary music, with a positive message. Its calming and reflective.  Its nice to have a resource like that. We have the app on our television, which has videos and all sorts.  Mostly though we just listen to the Music channel. At conference time, we watch the conference through it also. When Todd is not here and watching television, I have the music playing in the background while I putter about.  Its just nice. 



Tea Parties.  I love them.  I feel the need to have one. Maybe soon. We will see. Maybe for my Birthday.  It sounds like the perfect excuse.


  

Every now and again I like to enjoy a drink in a proper tea cup. It is most civilised.  I think sometimes I was born 100 years too late.  Sometimes I don't feel like I fit into these modern times.  They are too loud and too hectic, but on the other hand I do enjoy the perks of modern technology rather a lot and am most grateful for them. 


 

My bi-weekly calls with my mother.  I love hearing her voice.  I seem to do most of the talking these days, but that's okay.  I just prattle on and sometimes she remembers what I am talking about and sometimes not. She likes to talk about her cat and her father. She actually went to WalMart on Saturday with my Sister. It had been quite a while since she had done that. Her feet hurt too much for a lot of walking. I was glad to hear that she had gotten out of the house.  She doesn't do that much anymore at all. I don't know if she actually knows who I am when I am talking to her.  I try not to think about that.  I think on one level she does, and on another she probably has moments during our conversation when she thinks who is this, but that's okay. I have moments when I don't know who I am either, lol.  



Wonder. Its  a beautiful movie. If you haven't seen it, you should. Its touching and funny, a bit sad in places, very inspiring.  I had read the book and loved it so much that I got it for my oldest grandson for his Birthday earlier this year.  I am not sure if he liked it or not, but I hope that he did.  I think every child should read it. I think it should be on the syllabus of every school.  Its easy to watch a film and then forget about it later, but when you have read a book, the message sticks.  I still remember every book I had to read for school.


Being able to read. Of all the lessons I have learnt in life, learning how to read is the lesson which has served me best of all.  I cannot imagine not being able to read.  It opens up worlds untold and takes you places you could never go otherwise. I cannot imagine the struggles that people experience when they cannot read.  I think it must be very life limiting. 

I am so very grateful that I was born and brought up in a time and a place where I was free from war and pestilence, famine, drought, etc.  I have never known real hunger or fear.  I have never felt truly unloved.  I had the priviledge of a free education all the years of my childhood, and free health care also. I was born into a loving home with two parents who loved and cared for me. I have never experienced true tyranny. Only peace.  I have always had the freedom to do, think, believe what I wish to within the bounds of the laws of the countries I have lived in. Laws which are based very much on the ten commandments and Godly principles.  As a woman I have always had the right to vote and a voice. I have never experienced rascism of any kind.  I never take any of these liberties and blessings for granted. I know that much of what I have enjoyed throughout my life came at a cost. A cost which I am ever grateful for. 
The beauty of every day things.  Ordinary things. Simple things. Tender mercies. Small blessings. I have a very abundant life. To be able to experience the magic in the ordinary is a gift I hope I never take for granted. 
The ability to choose the positive most days. I know that there are many, many people in the world who struggle with this either through mental illness or depression.  I have low moments.  Everyone does. Thankfully I have always been able to shake them off and move forward.  I know this is a great blessing. 
  
Right or wrong the choice has always been mine to make.  For so many in this world it is not.

 

Abundance.  I am surrounded by it. I have all that I need in this life.  Its all in the perspective. I am wealthy in the things which truly matter, and then some. Life is good.  


A beautiful granddaughter.  She reminds me so much of her mother in this picture.

There is an endless song
Echoes in my soul
I hear the music ring
And though the storms may come
I am holding on
To the rock I cling
How can I keep from singing Your praise
How can I ever say enough
How amazing is Your love
How can I keep from shouting Your name
I know I am loved by the King
And it makes my heart want to sing
I will lift my eyes
In the darkest night
For I know my Savior lives
And I will walk with You
Knowing You'll see me through
 And sing the songs You give
I can sing in the troubled times
Sing when I win
I can sing when I lose my step
And fall down again
I can sing 'cause You pick me up
Sing 'cause You're there
I can sing 'cause You hear me, Lord
When I call to You in prayer
I can sing with my last breath
Sing for I know
That I'll sing with the angels
And the saints around the throne.
~How Can I keep from Singing, Chris Tomlin

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.
Abundance is not something we acquire,
it is something we tune in to.
~Dr Wayne Dyer •。★★ 。* 。 

 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Creamy Caraway Coleslaw.  So good!

Have a wonderful day and week. May it truly be filled with abundance!  Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
And I do too! 




8 comments:

  1. You too..have a great week! Camryn is so cute Marie♥I think you will have a tea party when your sweet guest arrives:)Loved Wonder the movie..and the book♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! I hope you have a great week also! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, I too think I should have been born a hundred years earlier. But we all have our time to be and a purpose so I try to go with the flow. I too have everything I need. The good Lord has always provided me with wealth that is far above gold. Good thoughts to start off the week! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Monday Pam! In all honesty I probably could not have coped in Pioneer times! Lived the way they had to live. I don't think I have the same strength that they had. I think that we are born at a time that is right for us, but I do long sometimes for a simpler life! God bless! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Marie~

    It's been so long since I've even looked at my blog...life gets in the way for me!

    Loved your thoughts today. So much hatred and bickering going on in the world, it's more than I want in my life. I just have to disconnect once in a while. The Mormon Channel is the perfect place to do that, thank you for reminding me of the peace that is there.

    Your granddaughter is so cute, she reminds me so much of you!

    You know, it doesn't take much to keep me happy and I know you are a lot like me. I guess the old Beatles song, Love is all you Need is right, being loved and loving others means a lot. You are amazing!

    I have loved following you on Facebook and Instagram, now if I can only figure out how to navigate it!! Love to tons sweet friend!!

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Modern apps can be a bit of a nightmare for us oldies Barb! I am still feeling my way around them! It seems to come so naturally for the youngsters. It is like they come out of the womb knowing everything! Love you! xoxo

      Delete
  4. I love love your small and wonderful posts. Of course, I love all your posts. You are a magnicent writer.
    The Mormon Channel is awesome and I love the music they play. There are so many wonderufl musical artist in our faith.
    We have a mutual love of fine china and tea cups. I often think I would have loved the 1800’s.
    Keep on enjoying those precious calls with your Mom. Even if you don’t feel at times that she knows you; I think her spirit does for sure. Just hearing her dear vioice is the important part for sure.
    Wonder was the best of movies and I am going to purchase it. I think that every school should have children read the book or at least watch the movie. It has so many lessons in it.
    We are a very blessed generation and we are fo fortunate to live in countries of freedom. What a blessing for our Fathe rin Heaven.
    President HInckley’s quote is one of my favorites. I loved his positive attitude.
    Your granddaughter is a beauty. I loved the poem.
    Blessings and hugs for this fantastic post and lots of loving thoughts for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeAnn!! I am going to buy the movie Wonder some day also. Maybe for my birthday in August! Blessings and love to you LeAnne. Thanks for your sweet comments and faithfulness in visiting me. One day it will be for real, hopefully! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!