Saturday 28 July 2018

Saturday this and that . . .


On the 28th July, 1866 in Kensington, London the world was made a little bit brighter by the arrival of a wee baby girl, whose parents named Helen Beatrix Potter. Little did they know that over 150 year later this little girl would still be adored and revered for all that she accomplished in her lifetime. She was to become a writer, conservationist, brilliant illustrator/artist, and natural scientist known and remembered throughout the world for her wonderful and charming children's books.  Enjoyed, yes, by children but I think also even more enjoyed by adults.  There is something in each of her drawings that fills the soul with delight.

She was an early conservationist, at a time when conservation was not really thought much about, and had a great love for the British countryside and nature, much of which was reflected in her beautiful drawings depicting animals from her own life, in a wonderfully charming way . . . with little topcoats, and slippers, aprons and caps. 


It is because of her love of nature and conservation that the beautiful Lake District area here in the UK was to become a National Treasure, as she bought up farms that were destined to become commercial fodder for short-sighted land developers. She supported the efforts of the National Trust to preserve not just the places of extraordinary beauty but also those heads of valleys and low grazing lands that would be irreparably ruined by development.She was also an authority on traditional Lakeland crafts, period furniture and stone work.  She restored and preserved the farms that she bought. 

She, to me, is a great role model because, at a time when women (especially society women) were expected to fulfil a certain role as a wife to a man of society and not much else, she dared to buck the system and become a woman of independant means and character.


Happy Birthday to Beatrix Potter! 

  

She's here!  This is Grace.  She was born yesterday about 9 am. and a good weight also at 8.2 pounds!  Of course she is beautiful, like her mum and dad.  I am so very pleased for this sweet young couple and their new addition to the family. I cannot wait to hold her.  Good job Ariana! 


While that wee one was making her entrance into the world, in another part of the world a much beloved granddaughter was enjoying the sandy beaches of PEI.  Here is Maryn with her legs buried in sand  . . . 

  

Brother Cameron builds sand castles . . . 


It cheers my heart to see them all enjoying a lovely summer and I am sure much earned time off for my daughter and son in law who both work very hard at what they do the rest of the year! 

Family times are the best of times. 

  

Jon and Jake with their rabbit on the move.  That is one big bunny! 


And one very precious hamster.  I love the look of care on wee Josh's face. It is such a tender expression. 

  

He has a tender soul. 


I cannot leave these two gorgeous boys out.  Gabe and Luke.  Luke has a very enthusiastic personality and full on joy of life!!! 

I hate living so far away from these loves of mine. I  keep trying to win the lottery,
so that I can visit them more frequently, but to no avail.
Some things are just not meant to be.


 It was raining most enthusiastically when I got up this morning, which is good.  We need the rain. It has stopped now and the sky is blue, blue, blue  . . .  with a few dark clouds hereabouts.  I think it will be a somewhat showery day.  Our church Ward BBQ is today.  It will be moved indoors if the showers persist, and I hope they don't as the Ward always has a huge slip and slide for the kiddos and there has been an American Football lesson promised for those so inclined.  The Ward BBQ is always a lot of fun and a great opportunity to get together and fellowship with members of our church congregation outside of church meetings.  There is never enough time on a Sunday morning. 

Speaking of friends, our friend Peter stopped by yesterday afternoon so I could help him with some computer stuff.  We had a lovely visit. It is clear he misses Audrey dreadfully.  I think we need to make more of an effort to include him in our lives.  I said to Todd we must invite him over for a BBQ soon.  He is such a nice man.  He was Todd's best man when we got married, and he and Audrey were two of my first friends I made when I moved over here.  Audrey had Vascular Dementia, same as mom.  Its a sad, sad disease . . . Peter was saying yesterday how much he missed Audrey, but really he had been missing her for the two years prior to her passing, and I know what he means as we watch our own mum slowly disappearing.  

I admit as well, it worries me as my Maternal Great Grandmother had it, 
and now my mom . . . I think if you live long enough
that side of the family gets it . . . 

Food for thought. 

  

We've been enjoying the Donna Reed Show.  I never got to see it when I was a child really. I don't think it was shown on Canadian television much.  I am enjoying it now.   What a gentler time. It can be seen as a bit corny and unrealistic . . .  she is always perfectly dressed and coiffed, but I love it.  That is what I wanted.  A nice suburband home, with a family, being a housewife and a mum. Nothing  more than that really.  I love it when she meets her friends for lunch.  They are always wearing gloves and hats, and they always drool over the menu and think about eating something extravagant but settle for cottage cheese and salad when the waitress comes to take their order.

So that's my problem.  I'm not settling for cottage cheese
as often as I should.
haha


A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction
ends up being the biggest step of your life.
Tip toe if you must, but take the step.
~Unknown   ° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •  ° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 


 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Raspberry Almond Breakfast Cake.  Its the weekend.

Hope your Saturday is a great one.  Don't forget along the way of your day!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 


And I do too! 


 


 






6 comments:

  1. Oh that baby..you will just love her to bits..
    She's a doll.
    Congratulations.
    How great that life put her in your paths.Ariana..I remember when she went to live w/ you!
    Your grands look happy and summery and that is one big bunny..I think I see the house:)Marie on IG I found this site..thankfully they do not ship to Canada but you may love it..in case you don't know of it..

    https://www.enesco.co.uk/our_collections/beatrix_potter

    :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is just like a daughter to me Monique! A real blessing! That is a cute site! Xoxo

      Delete
  2. All those beautiful pictures of babies and children certainly brightened my morning. Isn't it wonderful in this day and age that we can get so many to cheer us. Years ago just getting a photo developed was expensive. Hope you have a lovely day. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Pam! We are truly blessed to have what we have today! God bless your day! Xoxo

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed reading more about the life of Helen Beatrix Potter. I loved many of her children's books. I think you have some great talents like her too.
    The beautiful photos of your grandchildren are precious. i loved looking at their endearing faces. I'm actually happy for facebook just because my children posts photos of my grandchildren which helps me keep up with them since some of them I don't see very often. I wish you could win the lottery and make a visit. I know you are a delightful grandmother
    So happy your sweet friends little bundle of joy finally arrived.
    You will have fun holding this sweet one.
    Your dear friend Peter has such good friends in the two of you. I know what dementia does since my Dad had it. He had alzheimers.
    I'm a bit afraid of it too.
    Well dear friend; I hope your ward BBQ was a great one. We have one coming up in September.
    Blessings, prayers, love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeAnn! Our BBQ was just brilliant! We were blessed with the weather! Blessings, prayers, love and hugs to you too! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!