Saturday 2 June 2018

Saturday this and that . . .






I love this time of year. The sun is already up when I awake in the morning,  and it's still light out when I go to bed at night . . . and I am an early to bed, early riser too!  I'm always up about 5 am and in bed by 9:30 most nights.

Last night as I lay in bed I could hear the birds chattering in the hedgerow which runs along our back garden.  It was like they were calling their children in . . . telling them it was time to come in and get ready for bed . . . come in now . . . come in now . . . time to settle down.  It is such a comforting sound . . .



It reminded me of my childhood.  I have a particularly vivid memory of a summer evening when I was a child.  I could not have been more than five or six years old.  I know that for sure because we were living in the two bedroom house that my parents first had when we moved out West to Gimli, Manitoba.  We lived in that house for two years before we were moved into a three bedroom house and I was seven when that happened. (My father was in the airforce.)

On this one particular evening my parents had gone out to a dance on the base, and we had a babysitter.  I remember I was wearing my button baby doll shortie pajamas.  I called them that because the fabric that they were made of had colourful buttons printed all over them.  They were teal green and turquoise and pink and I can see them in my mind as clearly as if it were just yesterday.



I remember hearing the sounds of other children still at play outdoors.  Our inside front door was open.  We had two front and back doors.  An inside one and an outside one.  The outside ones were fitted with glass windows in the winter and when spring came, the glass windows were removed and replaced by screen windows.  I remember going over to the front door and stretching up as far as I could on my tippie toes to see out the screen window . . .

I could just barely manage to reach up enough to be able to see out of the screen window.  I can remember standing there, raised up on tippie toes . . . my nose pressed against the screen as I watched what I felt I was missing outside.  I can still smell that familiar metallic smell of the window screen against my hose . . . and see the golden sky as the sun was lowering down against the horizon, coming on to dush.  I can still hear the children's laughter and voices . . . and I can still remember how I felt . . . a feeling of tender longing . . . wanting to be out there and having fun along with them . . . as if life was passing me by . . .



It's a funny thing is the memory . . . how a sight or a sound . . . or a smell can trigger it, and you can find yourself instantly transported to another time and place.  So it was last evening as I lay in bed listening to the birds call out their goodnight messages to each other . . . for a few moments I was five years old again . . . and that was a pretty wonderful feeling.

When the house is quiet with the coming of night . . . 
wrapped about in rosy veils of softly fading light.
The Bird of Dreams on silent wings comes to my windowsill.
The clock chimes out the sunset hour, but Time itself stands still.
Years are moments.
In a flash I live the past again.
I hear a voice, I see a face.
I feel the joy and pain, as if it were but yesterday.
What is this magic power . . .
that calls up ghosts out of the shadows of the evening hour?
I light the lamp, and in the dazzle of the sudden glare . . .
the vision goes.
I look around, and there is noone there.
But through the window in the dark,
Beyond the lamp's bright ray . . . 
I see the Bird of Dreams spread out it's wings
and fly away . . . 
~Patience Strong, The Bird of Dreams 


Its raining bucketloads out there this morning.  Thankfully it is a bit cooler.  Yesterday was stinking hot and humid.  My friend Tina came over for a little while in the afternoon, bearing cakes.  What can a gal do.  I imbibed.  Friends, cakes, and conversation are a lovely combination.  We hadn't been able to spend a lot of time together over the past few months, so it was really nice just to havd a lovely catch-up with each other.  Todd was busy mowing the grass.   


We started watching a new program on Netflix.  Its pretty good.  I don't know why we never watched it when it was on the television.  Another one we are enjoying at the moment is The Royal House of Windsor.  


Look what my sister found in her bananas.  (This is after she killed it.)  EEK!  I would have been freaking out.  I have often heard stories of people finding poisonous spiders in their bananas and thought people were making them up. Now I know it actually happens!  I think they would have heard my screams down in London, lol.

We are thinking we might have to look for somewhere else to live. Our landlord has cancer (so does his sister) and we are thinking if the worst happens and his nephew takes over the houses, he will be wanting to put the rent up quite a bit.  If our rent goes up anymore than it is now, we won't be able to cope.  I think its time we make the move to a smaller place anyways, as Todd is finding the garden harder to cope with and neither one of us could cope with this place on our own.  So I am really going to have to downsize. Its not going to be easy, but we have to do what we have to do and just not think about it.  God willing we will be able to find a place without too many problems.  We also are thinking we may have to give up the car once and for all. Its just getting too expensive to run a car.

Enough doom and gloom!  A thought to carry with you  . . . 


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.A bird doesn't sing because

it has an answer.  It sings
because it has a song.
~Maya Angelou  •。★★ 。* 。


I am listening to:  He Loved Them To The End, Jeffrey R Holland.  





Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . Grandmother's Glazed Donuts. A once-in-a-blue-moon treat!


 Have a wonderful Satuday. Don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════



And I do too!

7 comments:

  1. getting older is not fun..having to do less..relocate..I hope you do find something where you would not even need a car.My frined left here and moved into MTL..sold her car..she does not need a car at all.I nevr see her ..her life is there now.I don't drive into MTL.A zoo..and no practice.Over 42 yrs in the country will do that to you.

    Start asking around:)You have been minimizing for a while..you will be prepared..
    Not a fun thing..Bon Courage!!
    It will happen to all of us.:(:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was only ever a country driver Monique, which is why I cannot face driving here in Chester. When we were down South I did drive locally in our small town, but everything is the opposite here! Old dog, new tricks? Toooo scary! Xoxo

      Delete
  2. It's wonderful to have a friend that comes bearing cake. It's true as we get older we can do less and less and downsizing to a small place would make things easier on both of you. The best thing about my new place is that I no longer have to do stairs. I do have a small yard to mow, but for how long I don't know. My car is old too and it's doubtful it will be running much longer, I love the independence of it but it is expensive as you say. Well we never know just what tomorrow will bring but it's best to stay hopeful. Things awls do work out for the best in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, things do always have a way of working out Pam! There is nothing on earth worth losing sleep over! Xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Marie~

    I love your childhood memories. Isn't it funny the things we remember about our childhood, especially the details. I can almost see your cute little baby-doll pajamas, and there is a definite smell the screen windows! I love the poem, just beautiful.

    I hear you about downsizing. Bob and I have both felt for a while now that we should think about selling and downsizing. We have 4 acres, and requires a lot of work. If something were to happen to Bob, I would never be able to handle the work by myself. It would be wonderful if you could find a place where you didn't need to have a car, I know gas is terribly expensive and so are repairs. I will be praying for you and Todd. I know that you will be able to find a better place.

    Loved the photos you used in this post, Marie - and I love you too!!

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Once I found the most gigantic spider in a box of grapes that I bought from the store. I later saw on TV that they were finding these very poisonous spiders in grapes and bananas! I was horrified!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading your memory and tried to go back in time and capture a few of my own. I too love to hear the birds chirping in the evenings. When I was small I remember going to sleep with the sounds of my parents and friends visiting in a near by room. It wasn’t every night but it did have a calming upon me.
    I love that you had a fun moment with a friend. When we lived in a smaller community there was much more of this kind of visiting. Now do get my ministering sisters which is always a lovely moment.
    I feel sad that you might have to move. This era of life is hard. We might have to do some rearranging too. We have children living with us right now. There is a thought to getting a home that has a smaller apartment in it for us and they would have a larger house. In my life I have just tried to bloom where I’m planted.
    Big blessings and hugs for you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!