Thursday 14 June 2018

My Favourite Things . . .

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjOOPpfEd5Zsq2tbOc2-UBk6Njak8VrG7e7evggWXGZ2mh-j53ekFS5_iJ7oLR7meELGbGOHT1tpJoMRH-WDForIBx-F86puBU5K_uuGKf1hWiGc5Jko8kG6S71gFooUD3ZEZNrNzAWfJI/s320/alfp_favorite_things.png
 
A few of the things in life that make my heart go pitty pat. Maybe they will do the same thing for yours. ♥♥♥



Trees. I love trees.  I have always loved trees. As a child I climbed them without fear.  I do not climb them anymore, but I love them no less.  Have you ever actually hugged a tree and listened to the groanings of its heart?  It is a marvel.
  



 



There was a really old oak tree on the Estate where I worked. It dated back to Tudor times. It was amazing.  It was historic.  People came from all over to see it. I can only imagine the stories it would tell if it could. It was HUGE . . .  all gnarly and beautiful.



As a child I would listen to the wind in the pines that were in our yard, at night while I lay in bed. Their song lulled me to sleep. I felt like Heidi and can remember thinking to myself that these were the same sounds that Heidi listened to in her wee attic bedroom in her grandfather's cottage in the alps. 



Anne of Green Gables in all of her incarnations.  Book, film, play. I just love this story of a girl who rises above the slings and arrows that life has dealt her, with wit and determination. I love her imagination . . .  her love of words, and seasons, and nature and life . . .  her dramatic personality. Her loyalty.  Her message of hope that speaks to the human heart. I just love everything about her. I know she is a fictional character, but there is a bit of Anne in each of us I believe, and some of us more than others.  Kindred spirits.  



Clouds  . . .  do you cloud watch? I do. I could lay for hours watching them drift across the sky.  That one here in the middle bottom of this picture looks all the world to me like  a tea pot or maybe even Alladin's lamp.  Can you see the bunny to the right of it? He's munching on a carrot.  Micky is fading away to the upper left . . . . he's being chased by a pair of snails . . .  

This morning the clouds are hanging dark and low over the house, but there are bits of blue sky to be seen above them.  We are due for somewhat nasty weather today, and the tops of the trees are blowing . . . the clouds moving.  Don't you love it when you are up in a plane and look down upon the cloud tops?  They look like cotton candy and you think oh how lovely it would be to just dance over the tops of them, but you know that you cannot  . . . your imagination would love to though, and so you let it.


Peter Rabbit vegetable gardens filled with lots of lettuces and cabbages and carrots . . .  we tried for a couple of years to grow a vegetable garden, but without much success.  We do not have very good soil where we are. 

  

Ships in bottles . . .  where are they going  . . . 


All things cherry  . . .  the fruit, and anything decorated with them.  I adore cherries.


Horses.  They are beautiful majestic creatures.  Have you ever looked at the delicacy of their ankles, their legs . . .  how they hold up those massive bodies I will never understand.  They amaze me.  There was an old blind horse in the field next to my Great Aunt Orabelle's farm house. We used to feed it carrots and pieces of apples. It would come over to the fence where we were and we would stroke its nose and feed it our small offerings.  It was a most welcome distraction while the old people were visiting in the house, which to a child is quite boring  . . . 


Squirrels, especially red squirrels.  They are such cheeky chappies.  The few times we stayed at a cottage up in Cumbria, we were in a red squirrel conservation area.  Did you know in the summer months their tails bleach to almost white in colour?  This is what I have been told. 

  

The sound of a pretty dress as it rustles . . .  it reminds me of my mother and how she would look and sound before she would go out dancing with my father . . . 


Likewise the smell of  ma griffe perfume . . .  it smells like my mother when she was getting ready to go out with my father . . . 

Tucked into my mind is a memory of my mother tucking me into bed.
I can see her drawing close to me and pulling the covers up
to my chin.  She is wearing a night dress, so I was
probably having a bad dream.  It is
so sweet to me.

   


Rhinestone jewelry . . .  I am like a crow. If it sparkles and glitters I am in love . . . especially brooches. Todd bought me a little rhinestone bow brooch back when we were first married. I love it.  




Moated castles and homes  . . .  if I won the lottery, I would buy a home with a moat  . . .




Fields of daisies and poppies.  They are blooming at the moment  . . .  so beautiful these sees of white and yellow with bright red blooms interspersed here and there  . . .  


    


Poldark  . . .  season 4 just began. I love it, although I would sometimes like to shake him hard.  Her too . . . but deep down we know they love each other very much.  




Cake  . . .  I adore cake . . .  of any kind. 

And those are my favourite things for this week.  What are some of yours?

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.
The sun loved the moon so much,
he died every night so that she could breathe.
~Unknown    •。★★ 。* 。 



 

In the English Kitchen today  . . .  Roasted Potato Nachos.  Seriously yum.

Have a wonderful Thursday.  I don't think we will be going far from home today.  Storm Hector is supposed to arrive with gales and rain.  Its not raining at the moment, but the trees are dancing all around our garden. Not a nice day for the Queen and Duchesse to be in this area.  Don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
And I do too!
 
 

 



 

5 comments:

  1. I was hoping you were going..but crowds are not for us eith and inclement weather is a turn off too..
    I love lots of similar things..I have my mom's rhinestones..you know the real kind;) Not like todays..that are even at the dollar stores..I love trees..but not when they topple..and high high winds are a concern.
    Not sure I have ever smelled ma Griffe..will try..oh the feelings of comfort and safety and caring and love our mothers gave us..♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother is home at the moment. I am the only one of us not there. I can’t help but feel a bit bereft. I do not think that I will see my parents again. That makes me sad, but I can’t do anything Bout it. Oh the pictures of today were like very. The Queen in green and Megan in cream. Both beautiful! Xoxo

      Delete
  2. Trees and squirrels I do have in abundance. Three huge old trees surround my little home and 2 of them are oaks so there are plenty of acorns for those squirrels to enjoy. Hope your storms don't get very bad there. We are to have 2 days of sunshine and then our rain comes in for the weekend. Have a Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thursday Pam! I could watch the squirrels all day. They are fascinating! Xoxo

      Delete
  3. I do love trees too. I used to climb them all the time and pretend I was Jane with Trazan. I had a cousin that would play Tarzan.These are happy memories. Also, I loved horses growing up and would have loved being a real Annie Oakley.
    Back to trees; yes I have hugged them and love the old ones. There is a magnificent one on the Salt Lake Temple grounds that was here when the pioneers came. My husband said he climbed it once.
    I love Annie of Green Gables. I also started watching the Poldark but didn't get in to them because I couldn't get my husband interested for some unknown reason.
    I have fond memories of my Mom doing the same thing. She used to wear square dance costumes that they would go square dancing. She has a perfume that I loved and I have some today. I don't get to wear it much because of the allergies people have now days.
    Rhinestone Jewelry is a favorite of mine too. I have some delightful pieces from my grandmother and mother.
    Wow, the memories came flooding back on this one.
    Sending loving thoughts and huge hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!