Wednesday 20 September 2023

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 

 


Fall, Leaves, Fall 
~Emily Brontë 

 Fall, leaves, fall; die, flowers, away; 
Lengthen night and shorten day; 
Every leaf speaks bliss to me 
Fluttering from the autumn tree. 

I shall smile when wreaths of snow 
Blossom where the rose should grow; 
I shall sing when night’s decay 
Ushers in a drearier day.

The first day of Autumn, the Autumn Equinox, falls on Saturday the 23rd. Autumn and fall are two words that refer to the season between summer and winter. Both terms are used interchangeably in American and British English, but fall is more commonly used in American English, while autumn is considered the more formal name for the season. 


 The word autumn first appeared in English writing in the 1300s, derived from the Latin word “autumnus”  The term fall originated from the phrase “the fall of the leaves,” which was later shortened to just “fall” in the 1600s.


 As English evolved and diverged between America and Britain, so did the usage of these two words. Fall became more popular in America, while autumn remained prevalent in Britain.
 

Both autumn and fall are acceptable terms for this season, with autumn being more formal and fall being less formal. So whether you prefer to say autumn or fall, both words capture the beauty of this transitional season. 

I, for one, am a lover of Autumn or Fall, which ever you choose to call it. I love the cooler nights and the dew swept mornings.  I love the colors of the leaves. I love the smells. I love all of it. Like Anne Shirley, I am just a girl who loves Octobers.


 



This is me every night when I get into bed.  Minus the hot drink.  I prefer a glass of water.  I love the feel of the sheets on my toes, and the softness of the bed underneath my body.  I love it best on the days when I have just changed the sheets and there is not a wrinkle on them.  I must have been a Princess in a former life because I cannot abide wrinkles  on my sheets.  Each one feels like  cavernous mountain range.  I feel them all keenly. Most nights I try hard not to think of them, but God forbid a crumb invades my space.  That feels like a boulder and I cannot settle in until it is routed out.  The Princess and the Pea.  That's me.


 



I took the day off yesterday and Cindy and I went on an adventure up country.  We went to the Running Man, which is in New Minas. It carries a lot of things from Costco. We had a few bits to pick up.  A person could go crazy in such a place.  Or I could anyways.  You go in just for one thing and come out with more.  I like to get the large containers of Peanut Butter.  I miss Skippy Peanut Butter. They don't have it here in Canada.  So I buy Kraft.

Do you remember the Peanut Butter that used to have a Peanut on Top?  This was Squirrel Peanut Butter and was removed when the peanut butter was rebranded as Skippy.

I was actually watching a program not too long ago on Netflix. I think it was called "Poisoned, the dirty truth about your food"  They were talking at one point about a Peanut processor in the US that sold peanuts knowingly that contained a known pathogen, all for the sake of profit.  If you haven't watched the program, you really should. Its a real eye opener!

PS - I found out why Skippy is no longer available in Canada. Its down to profits.  The producer could not make enough money selling it in Canada to make it worth their while.


 

As we drove up through the valley, it was nice to see that most of the apples are still on the trees.  I had been worried that the high winds of Hurricane Ivan would have blown them off.  Nope, most are still there.  Thank goodness. That is the main industry in this valley. Apples are a really big deal.

Cindy was saying that apples normally don't fall off the tree until they are ripe.  The stems just don't let go easily until then.  A good reason to buy apples that still have the stem attached. You know they are ripe.

We did see some pumpkins and squash at that farm market this time, but not as many as they normally have.  Perhaps it is too early?  Perhaps.

We came back to Goucher's and were able to grab a loaf of the cheese bread from Comeau's bakery.  Their baked goods come in on Tuesdays and it is a fight to get the cheese bread. It is usually gone as soon as it hits the shelves.  We lucked in.

I also got some cinnamon rolls. Theirs taste just like my mom's.  They are the biscuit kind. Cindy got donuts, un-sugared donuts to put into Dan's lunches. We were both happy campers.


 

I've been watching Love Island USA on Crave.  They put a bunch of highly sexual young adults on an tropical Island with the purpose of supposedly helping them find true love.  They pair them off and couples sleep together in the same bed.  I don't think much hanky panky goes on, but I could be wrong. 

I have to wonder how they think these people are going to find true love by parading the girls back and forth in front of the boys in bikini's all day that barely cover their assets and throwing them in beds together.  I think it would be better if they had workshops which taught them a bit about the importance of finding compatibility in other areas, rather than just the physical.  Admittedly physical attraction has to be there, but it is of little good if the person you are with has no substance and you have nothing in common.

Anyways, I watch these shows and I just shake my head. There are much better places to find true love if you ask me.   And I know, you didn't, lol.


Not that I am an expert on finding love.  Three strikes. I am out.


 

I think I am going to roll up all my yarn scraps into balls and place them into the large oval ceramic bowl on my coffee table.  I think they would look nice there.  I have wrapped one up already. I started my new blanket and I like the color scheme of it. 


 

This time I was able to get all of the exact same colors. Usually I have had to substitute some of them as they were not all available.  So I am happy about that.  I know, I just keep crocheting the same blanket over and over again, albeit in different colors, but it is the  mindless kind of work that I can just do while I watching television in the evening without even thinking about it.  I watch television with subtitles most of the time now. I know that is irritating to a lot of people, but its just the way I like it. I got used to it when Todd and I were together as he had a difficult time hearing the television and I think it made my ears lazy, if there is such a thing.


And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day.  I have a lot planned today and a Doctors telephone call this afternoon.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
•。★★ 。* 。
 *.˛.Go little book, and wish to all•。★★ 。* 。
Flowers in the garden, meat in the hall,•。★★ 。* 。
A bin of wine, a spice of wit,•。★★ 。* 。
A house with lawns enclosing it,•。★★ 。* 。
A living river by the door,•。★★ 。* 。
A nightingale in the sycamore!•。★★ 。* 。
~Robert Louis Stevenson•。★★ 。* 。
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。





There is nothing new in the kitchen today, but I am resharing my recipe for Ham, Potato & Green Bean Soup. This was delicious and made for a simple and yet hearty supper that was most enjoyable.


I hope you have a beautiful Wednesday!  Whatever you get up to, don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!! 




2 comments:

  1. Soup weather is here, your one today sounds just like my kind of soup. The trees haven't really started to change colour yet, but soon, as the nights are much cooler. I love snuggling into fleecy sheets on cooler nights. I've got a new set in the washer this morning. Lucky you getting cheese bread, delicious. Enjoy your busy day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie, I believe being a Christian means leading by example, which should include censoring certain tv viewing choices

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!