Monday 18 September 2023

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.



We survived Hurricane Lee with no loss to life or limb.  Actually we were very lucky, other than the rain and some huge gusts of wind, it mainly skirted around us, for which we were very grateful.  There was a huge tree brought down just down the road across from the  motel which just missed damaging the house whose yard it stood in and I saw a few other large trees that had been taken down, but mostly just branches, etc. My sister lost her power for about an hour. My power flickered a few times, but for the most part it was  not so bad here.

My son Anthony, who lives in Fredericton, sent me a video of his street during the storm and it looked like two raging rivers were running down it in front of his house, so they did get a lot of rain, but thankfully no flooding in their basement.

We are all very thankful.



Being able to go to church yesterday and partake of the sacrament. What a privilege this is for me every week. It is a sacred thing for me.  During Covid I was unable to have the sacrament for the most part, and I missed it tremendously.  To be able to renew my Baptismal covenants, t remember the Lord in this special way. It not something I ever take for granted.

Usually while it is being passed, while I wait for it to come to me, I spend those moments pondering the different names of the Savior  . . .  life giver, intercessor, advocate, teacher, Emmanuel, redeemer, etc. And as I ponder each name I try to think about how He has shown up in my life as such. For me, it is a wonderful way to focus on Him during those moments.  Much better than pondering on what I am going to have for lunch.  👌




I am so grateful for the opportunity that I had to be a mother in this life and for my children.  It has not always been an easy row to hoe and it is a role that has come with a great deal of heartache, but I love my children very much, each of them. Forever and always, no matter what.






I am very much looking forward to seeing my brother next week.  I love him very much.  He has always been a good brother to my sister and myself.  He has always been there for us in whatever capacity we have needed him to be.  But he is  much more than a brother to us, he is a friend. We don't get to see him near often enough so next week will be a real treat!




Grateful also for a sister I love very much.  We enjoy each other's company always.  She and I have always been very close.  On Saturday, in the middle of the storm, there was a knock on my door and there she was, with a container holding a piece of her Apple Danish Bake for me.  I was surprised and very grateful. I know that I can call on her any time for any reason and if she is able to she will come over.  She is more than just a sister. She is my best friend. Always and forever.

I have been blessed with the best family.  I know that not everyone is so blessed. I know that many struggle with their parents or their siblings.  We are very lucky in my family to have each other and to get along as well as we do.


 



Apple season. We grow a lot of apples here in the Annapolis Valley. I hope that this years crop was not overly damaged by the hurricane.  I love this time of year when you walk into the farmers markets and you smell the apples.  It is such a wonderful scent.  I have an apple candle that I really love and I burn it quite often.  I love its fragrance even more than pumpkin spice!





Another finished blanket. I have begun the next one now. I did a different edging on this one. It is a backward crab stitch?  I think that is what it is called.  Anyways, whatever its name, you do it backwards around the edge and it makes a kind of a rolled edging. I really like the colors of this one.



Nutmeg a few minutes ago


This little guy who is never very far from me.  Whenever I go out, he is always waiting for me right on the other side of the door.  Yesterday when I came back from having had supper at my sisters, he and Cinnamon were both there. I bent down to let him smell what I had in my hands and he reached up and gave me a kiss.  Right on the lips. I was quite surprised. That was a first!

I see them both as my pets, but I think he sees me as his!



 

Sweater weather. I love the cooler days.  I really don't like the summer when it is so hot and humid. I don't mind the sunshine, or the warmth, but the humidity really gets to me.  I am an autumn lover I guess.  It is my favorite time of year, but I am always telling you that so it is not something you don't already know about me!


 

Each of you. For years now you have kept visiting me and leaving your lovely words for me. I am so grateful for each of you. You have lightened my days and helped me through some pretty rough moments. I wish that we could all sit down together with a nice cup of tea and just share a special moment together.  Know that I appreciate YOU and that you are one of the blessings in my life.  A not so small, very special, wonderful thing.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Never wrestle with pigs,
you both get dirty and
the pig likes it.•。★★ 。* 。
~George Bernard Shaw•。★★ 。* 。
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。






In The English Kitchen today, Cindy's Apple Danish Bars. A delicious autumn tradition.

I hope you have a beautiful day and a week filled with a multitude of blessings. Whatever you get up to, don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═════════     


And I do too!       
 




6 comments:

  1. Good to hear you came through the storm with very little damage. It is raining here this morning, enough to make things damp. A visit from your brother will be lovely. Love the colours in the latest afghan. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Linda! I love the colors also! we were relieved that the storm didn't hit us worse! xoxo

      Delete
  2. So happy you and your family came through the storm unscathed. We're enjoying the cooler temperatures here, too. Enjoy your Monday. Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elaine. It was a relief to say the least! I love these cooler temps for sure! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Marie~ I'm so glad that the storm didn't cause too much damage, and that you came through it with only rain and wind... blessings! Autumn is my favorite time of year as well, and I always look forward to apple season. Cindy's recipe looks delicious! Sunday is my favorite day of the week, a day to honor the Savior and thank Him for all He does for me in my life. The Sacrament is such an important part of my week, it keeps me going throughout the week. Have a wonderful day! Hugs and Love, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Barb! I have the same feelings about Sunday as you do! No surprise there! Hugs and love, xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!